EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippen

Reaction score
While looking around for fair project ideas we came across this site which has some great little papercraft cardstock Daleks.
https://fratellimattioli.it/francesco/varie_dalek.html

I've got a bunch of Estes A10-PT engines which I believe will provide levitation power ;). At first I thought it might work as decoration on one of Art Applewhite's nifty little saucers, but in the end I decided it would be best to leave as is to maintain the basic shape.

I printed off one and enlarged it to 145%--which made the little guy below about 2 1/2 inches. I'm still working out the upgrade but thought I'd share the fun now.

074.jpg

I wrapped cardstock around an A10PT motor last night and glued it up (my black cardstock was pretty thin so I doubled it and am happy by how sturdy it is). I clipped little notches into one end and folded those over to make a flange to attach to the inside top. I left it overnight to dry well.

This morning I drew up a box to fit midway into the Dalek that would center the motor mount tube.

2DalekTube.jpg

Last edited:
I was about to glue it in when I realized it might be a nice idea to cut in some slots for the launch rod. Shocker, I know, :eek: I usually think of stuff like this after the glue has dried, but knowing I wanted to post it here I actually stopped and thought before gluing it in. ;)

I opened up a spot at the top back corner of the Dalek and used the skewer dipped in blood (all right, it was red sharpie) method to find the right spot on the insert.

3DalekKabob.jpg

This is how it looked when the insert and tube was ready to be glued in. I should say "almost" how it looked because I had to snip off one of the notches in the tube because it covered up the launch rod slot in the Dalek head.

My Dalek was still majorly angry with me about the skewer business.

4Dalek.jpg

I put glue on all the folded down tabs and inserted into the open end of the Dalek, first making sure that the slot in the Dalek lines up with the slot in the insert. I've like using Titebond Molding & Trim Glue on cardstock--it grabs fast and stays put.

Also, I put a good bead of glue along the outside junction between insert and the tube because once we had a tube with engine seperate from a saucer. I have to say it made for some very brief crowd excitement but I'm definitely not wanting a repeat.

5Dalek.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, before I glued the tube and bottom insert I did think to trace it. I'll scan it in later to share...after testing it out.

Here's my Dalek all ready to go about conquering the world. "EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!"

6DalekConqueringWorld.jpg

Last edited:
I'm back to report that levitation has been accomplished! There were a few minor complications. First I couldn't find our little launcher, but we did have a new one boxed away and it worked fine once my kiddo did some serious sanding to get the two pieces of the launch rod to fit. Then we had to go scavenging for batteries. I was sure we had a mess of them not long ago...

This all just means it's been too long since we've launched.

The motor was pretty tight with friction fit but I did a wrap of masking tape to be on the safe side.

This little guy flew pretty well and was recovered in perfect condition. He should have no problem managing stairs, however, should a Dalek invade your neighborhood, I'd recommend launching only in spacious areas. It is a Dalek, and Daleks are dangerous. :bangbang:

I'll scan and post the pattern later.

That was FUN! :horse:

6DalekLaunch.jpg

Last edited:
I'm back to report that levitation has been accomplished! There were a few minor complications. First I couldn't find our little launcher, but we did have a new one boxed away and it worked fine once my kiddo did some serious sanding to get the two pieces of the launch rod to fit. Then we had to go scavenging for batteries. I was sure we had a mess of them not long ago...

This all just means it's been too long since we've launched.

The motor was pretty tight with friction fit but I did a wrap of masking tape to be on the safe side.

This little guy flew pretty well and was recovered in perfect condition. He should have no problem managing stairs, however, should a Dalek invade your neighborhood, I'd recommend launching only in spacious areas. It is a Dalek, and Daleks are dangerous. :bangbang:

I'll scan and post the pattern later.

That was FUN! :horse:

Neat Dalak.
What launch pad is that? I've never seen one like that.

Superb!

If anyone else wants to join in the Dalek conquest of Earth and beyond, here are a couple more sites to look at:
https://cgidaleks.weebly.com/paper-dalek-models.html
https://dalekfactory.tripod.com/DIY.html

The plans on the first one include all sorts of optional attachments.

The second one, "The Ultimate Dalek Factory", has plans which need to be coloured in, either by photo processing program before printing or by hand after printing.

Those look really good--thanks for the links.

I'm thinking we'll need a cardstock TARDIS to go with that Dalek.
https://cdn.cubeecraft.com/downloads/character085.jpg

There's even a pink one here, as well as some cubehead doctors:
https://cyberdrone.deviantart.com/gallery/9187037#

That is cool!

My Dalek was still majorly angry with me about the skewer business.
Eh, he'll get over it when that 6 volts comes through the probe . . .

Back