I think I screwd up buying spray paint.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, there is one other alternative that you guys haven't mentioned - air brushing acrylics. You can use an inexpensive external mix airbrush (I would recommend a compressor as the cans get cold and loose their oomph pretty quick) to apply acrylics like either Tamiya Color or Testors Model Master Acrylic paint. Acrylics dry very quickly when airbrushed and I've never had a problem putting on the next coat whenever. Acrylics also take decals well and, once clear coated, are just as tough as enamels. True, you can't get very precise with an external mix brush, but it is at least as precise as a rattle can, so what's the difference. The Black Brant II is painted with Tamiya Acrylics through an external mix airbrush - I think it looks at least as good as if I'd painted it with rattle can enamels (and I COULD have used some of the old formula Krylon - I still have a stock! :p)

black brant II.jpg

Dad always said, whatever you do, do a better job of it every time you do it :D

My Dad had a favorite quote too: "You can do that, but this is what's gonna happen...." And he was usually right. So far, that was my only roll, so I haven't done a better one yet. Sorry for the off topic.

Pickle, you should have an easy time getting a good finish with that paint, I have had excellent luck using it. Be sure to post up pic's of your Guardian.

Greg,

I actually used to airbrush model railroad stuff. Still have the compressor but airbrush pooped out years ago- trigger valve I think it was. I intend to get a nice new one sometime.

The thing I always hated about airbrushing was cleaning it! Just shot a tiny little stripe on the model, then had to disassemble and clean the whole thing. And mixing the paint with thinner, etc... I'm kind of liking this spraying out of a can thing!

How long do you wait for a layer to dry before masking it?

The cleanup thing is why I suggested an external mix airbrush - they tend to be a bit easier to clean than an internal mix.

I don't really remember how long I waited to mask it, but I think I just let it dry overnight. Acrylics dry fast and hard. I think I painted the whole thing in a couple of days. The really nice thing was that I could paint it indoors using a large box as a spray booth without ventilating it. Spray painting indoors with the air conditioning going does have its advantages (climate controlled humidity levels are a real plus here!)

A slight tangent here, but I feel the need to vent a little bit...

Went to the hardware store to pick up some paint over the weekend. They reminded me that I couldn't buy spray paint in the city of Chicago. I had to head to the suburbs to get it instead.

Absurd and frustrating!!!!

There, I feel better now.

Latest posts

Back