Are silo launchers good for anything?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffk813

Renderer of Rockets
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good use for the Quest silo launchers? A few years ago, I bought a bunch of sets from a toy store that was clearing them out. I think I paid 4 bucks for each of them and got at least five sets. Each set had a couple of the RTF plastic rockets and a silo launch pad with controller. Sadly, none were the coolest (IMO), the Little Joe, but I think I got at least one of every other one they made.

Now I've got a bunch of these silo launch pads that never did work very well so my question is, is there any useful purpose these launchers can be put to? I'm getting into the MMX stuff slowly, but I'm going to build my own GSE for it, since these aren't the greatest. I suppose the controllers can be re-purposed for my homemade launch system, but is it worth doing?

Unsolder the leads from the contact plates and attach standard microclips to them. Forget about using QMX igniters in plug-in mode; the plug-in method was a cool idea, but it never worked very well for me either.

The Silo's hockey puck launch controller is, except for the shape, basically the same device as Quest's stand-alone launch controller. It will fire Q2G2 igniters in the larger Quest motors all day long, so one possibility is to cannibalize some of your Silos for the launch controller to use with your other black powder motors.

For all of its faults, you can't beat the Silo launcher for convenience and transportability. I loved how you could coil up the launch controller and fit it into the base for storage. I still used my Silo as a launch pad with (sshh, don't tell anyone) an Estes Electron Beam controller right up until I bought the redesigned Quest MicroMaxx launch system last year. It isn't the most stable platform, but that can be fixed with a simple modification or two.

As I said, I really like the hockey puck controller. Quest sells a simple accessory that allows you to connect their regular pistol-grip Futuristic launch controller to a lantern battery for more juice and much longer-lasting power, and this item will work just fine with the Silo's controller, too. So don't throw those Silos away; there's still value in them.

Assuming you are flying with others and there is a standard launch pad set up, THIS is the launcher that can't be beat for convenience and transportability...

:D

launch pad.jpg

As Mark posted; One of the main drawbacks were the inconsistant contact made by the plastic Plug in igniters. We learned very early to keep the contacts clean with Alcohol and a q-tip or better yet Add a set of Micro Clips on a coil of 18ga wire to support the model and hold the iginter.
I converted 6 or 7 of the silo base as part of a 6 position rack system. later dumping the silo's for an easier to store home made base.
I haven't used a Silo Launcher base for anything other then Demonstration purposes for about 6 years in Micro History mode LOL! Heres a look at what I did to convert them from 9V to 12v and add the support/clip coils. May give you same Ideas for your own GSE system.

Hope these help.

08_Completed system_03-31-02.jpg

MM ControllerConversion-3_12v drop Cord_07-21-02.jpg

Eq04Lp01a_MM_6-Pad-Rack-Launch-System_07-07-01.jpg

MM 6pad Rack mods-a_complete rack_03-28-06.jpg

Eq02-a1_Stand-Alone_1-Pad-Launch-system_07-07-01.jpg

I thought that the Silo launch pad employed several really nifty design concepts. That's what I will always respect about it: the usability concepts that it tried to embody. No, it wasn't completely successful, but talk about thinking outside the box, and focusing on the user experience!

I thought that the Silo launch pad employed several really nifty design concepts. That's what I will always respect about it: the usability concepts that it tried to embody. No, it wasn't completely successful, but talk about thinking outside the box, and focusing on the user experience!

I totally agree! Conceptually the Silo launcher harkens back to the micro machines play sets of the 80s. Completely self contained and kid portable. Perfect for a kid to toss in a back pack to haul along on a picnic, play date or sleep over.

Unfortunately in practice the shortcomings became readily apparent. Like so many toys nowadays they probably weren't intended for long term use. Still, a few clever adults out there saw the potential and made the necessary modifications to make them into viable pieces.

I would love to figure out how to use the silo without major modification. There must be some way to use the latest igniters with this set up. The push in type obviously does not work well. I'll have to give it some thought. I don't want to dismantle the pad but keep it as is.

Larry

I would love to figure out how to use the silo without major modification. There must be some way to use the latest igniters with this set up. The push in type obviously does not work well. I'll have to give it some thought. I don't want to dismantle the pad but keep it as is.

Larry
Just use the Silo as a launch pad and use a standard controller such as a Quest Futuristic controller or an Estes Electron Beam controller to fire the motors.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how to use the controller the way it is already hooked up. I was thinking of attaching a couple of alligator clips to the contact tips and see how that works. Maybe with some heavy wire to hold the rocket off the launch pad.

Larry

Larry

Larry:
There are a number of ways to use the Hockey puck controller "as it is" by simply adding a 9v battery connector to a pair of alligator clips and about 3 feet of 18/2 Lamp cord or lighter on the Battery side to increase from 9volts to 12volts with no other alterations.
To use standard Microclips on the other end does take a bit more in the way of attachment.
* As you mentioned you could simply solder a set of microclip wires directly to the contact points inside the plug igniter slot. Which would work just fine. I'd put a Z-bend in the Launch rod so various model bodies could be used and plug the unused part of the slot with a piece of an old plug igniter to help protect the microclip leads from the motor exhaust burn.

* You could add microclips to a plug-in igniter parts making the contact points MUCH MORE permanent which would allow the silo to be used almost as supplied. I did this with 6 bases for use on my 6 pad micro rack but later added internal 2-56 machine screws and nuts for a better EXTERNAL attachment and Positive mechanical contact.
Later I replaced the silo bases with custom Microclip contact blocks for better service life with better contact security. the 6 pad rack is a big hit at Club launches:)

04_Solder Jumpers_03-31-02.jpg

MM ControllerConversion-3_12v drop Cord_07-21-02.jpg

Thanks for the info, John, this helps. I like the compactness of the silo and want to see if I can keep it.

Larry

Really the only thing I didn't like about the Silo (other then the contact Problem) was the fact it sits SOOOOO low on the ground.
I fix'ed that with a Wooden adaptor that connected to a standard camera tripod raising the launcher to mid waist level. Sure saves the back and knees LOL!!!
Hope these pic's give you some Ideas.

Eq02-a1_MM Universal Launcher adaptor_07-08-01.jpg

Eq02-a1-sm_Stand-Alone 1-Pad Launch system_07-07-01.jpg

MM 212b1_Deltie-BG_OnPad_08-07-99.jpg

Larry

Push-in type can work well if you simply bend the internal contacts upward so that they make better/harder contact with the QMX igniter when you plug them in. And keep them clean with Q-tips and alcohol.

Back