building up airframe diameter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jclark

Reaction score
I'm repairing a giant leap fire storm, it was originally the dyna wind version. this material is currently not available from them, the problem is, other airframe tubing will not fit in the Acme fin can. Does anyone know of a way to build up the airframe to fit the fin can, could i use masking tape, and epoxy it on, or maybe a layer of fiberglass?

Jeremy

Giant Leap has the Dyna-Wind tubing in stock now. The 3" tubing I ordered to repair the giant zipper in my Vertical Assault should be on my porch when I get home today.

-- Roger

This is just what I would do there is probably a better way.
I would take a larger airframe and make a sleeve (outside coupler) out of it. (apogee video) you could test fit it on the airframe and remove layers of the cardboard if it seems too tight. then just epoxy it in place and epoxy the fin can to the outside coupler.
hope this is helpful,
Alex

I did receive the Dyna-Wind tube yesterday. I know this is old news, but it is nicer than the tubing that came with my Vertical Assault kit.

The old version of Dyna-Wind had a billion "pinholes" in the surface - the openings in the fiberglass cloth. The tubes looked and felt smooth until you put some primer on them then the pinholes were obvious. It took a few rounds of priming and sanding before I could paint the tube.

With the new tube, you still see some texture from the fiberglass after you prime it. But, it took just one coat of primer and a light sanding to get a really nice surface for painting.

Also, the actual tube under the fiberglass looks a little nicer. The old tube looked like plain cardboard and mine has started to unravel a little at the end. The new tube feels like it has epoxy even in the tube. It's hard and smooth on the inside.

I've almost got my Vertical Assault re-built. I need to run to the store for some gold spray paint since I liked the paint scheme I had on it before.

-- Roger

Back