Uni-Directional Antenna Help & Jerry's Electronics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent Titan

Reaction score
Has anybody used Jerry's Electonics trackers? Are they suitable for HPR Kits?

I am wanting to get a cheap tracking system for some (L1 area) projects. I am thinking on getting the FM108 transmitter. Any pros / cons? Are there restrictions on the 147Hz ones?

Does anybody know how to make a uni-directional radio antenna that would work with his devices? If not, do you know where I could read up on it, that's not over-documented?

Thanks a lot,

I am considering giving the 2 meter version a try considering it's fairly low cost.

As for the OP's questions:

The 147MHz version will require a minimum of a technician class amateur radio license (really not very hard to obtain).

An omni-directional antenna could be handled one of several ways. You could either use a relatively small flexible (sometimes called a rubber duck) antenna within the payload bay. You could also in a larger rocket build or purchase a flexible j-pole antenna such as MJF's 1370 that could be deployed with the recovery system. This is likely the approach I will take if I pick the Jerry's kit up.

Th restriction for using a tracker in 147 Mhz region is that you need to get an amateur radio operator license. Technician class is the entry level and require passing a written test. All of the questions (and their answers) are readily available for study in advance. There should be no surprises when taking the test.

As for the omni-directional antenna it shouldn't be too hard. At that power level the displayed wire in a helical shape will suffice. It won't maximize the signal, but it should get enough out to work.

You can get a lot of help in the amateur radio community.

Kasey - did you ever try one of Jerry's trackers? I am planning to get one of the 147 MHz models but haven't seen any reviews.
Thanks.

Mike

Last edited:
Back