Estes - (Astron) Spaceman Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBoy

Random Part-time Hobbyist
Reaction score
Here is my Semroc version of the Astron Spaceman....

DSCF3009 - Copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's cool! Was this an actual Estes kit? I've never seen it before.

Semroc has a repro kit for it. My son just got the kit. We will post when he is done.

Steam-punk—love it! Now that's a Spaceman! Real nice detailing, the color is perfect and the head and face work make it. Great job.

Fantastic Spaceman
icon14.gif

Thanks!

Unfortunately his first flight wasn't too pretty. It was on an A8-3 and arced over so his return-to-Earth was more of a ballistic trajectory than a tumble. His head was severed on impact -a clean cut across the grain right at the end of the body tube. It should be a simple fix though, and I might even add a red scarf to help hide the scar.

A couple of years ago I got the Thrustline repro Spaceman kit and decided to make it a bit more original.

Drew

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7502.jpg

These belong to DARS member George Sprague. I took this pic a while back...when it still wasn't too hot to fly rockets :wink:

space-couple2p.jpg

The ISM was always on my "gotta get around to building one of those ODD-Rocs".. from Way back in the stone ages to the present I've somehow forgotten to add him to my fleet. Until now that is.

Fliskits micro verison ISM has been on my list for some time...I caught a Sale at one of the on-line stores I just couldn't resist and BAM! We had a kit.

As I looked at the little model first I had not realized they were Feather-weight recovery and second they were as tinys as it is.
looking at the raw built model I got to thinking about the Tin man.. then the flat top head sparked images of the Frankensten monster...so hay why not combine some of these.
Heres what I came up with.... I introduce "Frank-In-Space Man" ISM. our 2-faced fly'in friend.

Post coped with permission

Attachments

• MM 381uc10a-Lg_Close Goofy Face ISM_09-15-11.jpg
    MM 381uc10a-Lg_Close Goofy Face ISM_09-15-11.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 60
  • MM 381uc10b-Lg_Close Sad Face ISM_09-15-11.jpg
    MM 381uc10b-Lg_Close Sad Face ISM_09-15-11.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 59
  • MM 381p01a-Lg_ISM GF Frank-In-Space_09-15-11.jpg
    MM 381p01a-Lg_ISM GF Frank-In-Space_09-15-11.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 64
  • MM 381p01b-Lg_ISM SF Frank-In-Space_09-15-11.jpg
    MM 381p01b-Lg_ISM SF Frank-In-Space_09-15-11.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 61
This is not an Intergalactic Man of Space or a downscale Astron Spaceman, it's a scratchbuild that incorporates some elements of both. I call it the BARs Wild Ride.

It flies very well and always lands very close to the launch pad. A perfect backyard flier.

It was hand painted with acrylic craft paints, not really my best work. That's my face on the bald head.

Post copied to gallery with permision

Attachments

• Bars Wild Ride.jpg
    Bars Wild Ride.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 77
Welcome to the Estes (Astron) Spaceman (K-9 or #1209) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes (Astron) Spaceman (K-9 or #1209) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: (Astron) Spaceman: K-9 or #1209
Semroc: SpaceMan: XES-K9
Thrustline: Space Man: TACL-044

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes (Astron) Spaceman (K-9 or #1209) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Astron Spaceman Also known as: Spaceman

NUMBER: K-9 or #1209

Introduced: 1963
Final Year: 1972
Designer: Vern Estes

Type: Oddroc
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Featherweight
Stages: 1
Length: 7.25"
Diameter:
Span: 4"
Weight: 0.45 oz

Mfg. Description: A real odd ball of a rocket, you'll get a big "kick" out of building and flying the Astron Space Man. Featherweight recovery brings him back close to the pad, ready for a new engine and another flight. Kit comes complete with all parts and instructions (but no engine). (Estes 1964 Catalog)

=====

The most controversial model rocket yet. Some feel he's a disgrace to the sport, others say that he does an important job in showing that a rocket doesn't have to look like a rocket to fly well. Requires patience and a bit of artistic ability to build. Uses the featherweight recovery system. Kit comes complete with all parts and instructions (but no engine). (Estes 1966 Catalog)

=====

1967 Catalog text identical to 1966 Catalog
1968 Catalog text identical to 1966 Catalog

=====

Great for demonstrating that a rocket doesn't always have to look like a rocket to fly well. Requires a little patience and artistic ability to build. Uses featherweight recovery system. Complete kit and instructions (less engines). (Estes 1969 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-spaceman%20k9-1964%20cat.jpg
1964 Catalog
estes-spaceman%20k9-1966%20cat.jpg
1966 Catalog
estes-spaceman%20k9-1967%20cat.jpg
1967 Catalog

estes-spaceman%20k9-1968%20cat.jpg
1968 Catalog
estes-spaceman%20k9-1969%20cat.jpg
1969 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-spaceman%20k9-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-spaceman%20k9-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc SpaceMan (XES-K9) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: SpaceMan Also known as:

NUMBER: XES-K9

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Vern Estes, Carl McLawhorn

Type: Oddroc, Clone
Length: 9.2" (23.4 cm)
Diameter: 0.736" (1.9 cm)
Span: 3.1" (7.9 cm)
Weight: 0.4 oz

Mfg. Description: 1961 Retro Repro (Semroc 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

semroc-spaceman%20xesk9-2011%20web.jpg
2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Thrustline Space Man (TACL-044) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Spaceman Also known as:

NUMBER: TACL-044

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Oddroc, Clone
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:

Impressive flight. Well, most of it was impressive. 7/8 or so. That last 1/8 it started corkscrewing and left a big ? smoke trail. At ejection you could see something separate, but it was WAY up there and I assumed it would be an arm. It started out deep over Woodfill Avenue, but then began falling back toward the field. It didn't make it.

The base piece and one of the supports broke on landing. The real damage had obviously come at ejection when the patented Estes Magnum Force ejection charge BLEW BOTH OF RICHARD'S CHEEKS OFF. :eek: His facial cheeks, not his arse. (I'll have to add the picture later.) Needless to say, his flying days are probably over.

Latest posts

Back