First HPR scratch build, Tank Girl

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He really needs to rebuild it.

I think it would fly great on a pair of E30's.

Yeah, I got him a new nose cone for it, but he hasn't gotten around to working on it. He's been having life difficulties.

Sounds like a rallying cry to me! My nephew built Miss Fortune, but she crashed. :sad:

I`ve always been a big fan of "Vargas Dame art" , nothing finer in my opinion.Ask any B-17 ,B-25 or any of the other great bombers that sported nose art.

Gorgeous !

Paul T (did a BA in fine art)

I got the recovery cable made today, and the retention clips fabricated. The cable is 3/32", and the clips are made from 1/8" x 1/2" aluminum. I also weighed her. With retention and all the recovery gear, but without motor, she weighs 66.3 ounces.

155_cable.jpg

158_retention.jpg

159_retention.jpg

4lbs and change??? Are you sure? I figured she was good for least 8-10 with you building her. I think all the grief I give you is having an impact. She oughta fly good. Way to go.

4lbs and change??? Are you sure? I figured she was good for least 8-10 with you building her. I think all the grief I give you is having an impact. She oughta fly good. Way to go.

Hey, I didn't do anything different this time to save weight. I used my usual copious quantities of epoxy, and in fact, I used thicker plywood for the fins. I used 1/4" plywood for the centering rings and baffles, and a 1/4" u-bolt for the recovery attachment. Frankly, I'm a little surprised at her weight, too. I hope she doesn't go to high and/or too fast!

I'm debating on which motor to use for her first flight. I'm thinking either a CTI H123 Skidmark, which will take her to around 1000 ft. Or an AT H170 Metalstorm, which will take her to around 1400 ft. I'll probably buy both reloads, and let the wind on the day of the launch be the deciding factor.

I mixed up some epoxy putty and put it inside where I'll drill for the upper rail button.

160_epoxy_putty.jpg

161_epoxy_putty.jpg

162_epoxy_putty.jpg

163_epoxy_putty.jpg

Huh? It is black and orange? I thought it was green and orange.

Is the aft end black? It looked green in the other pictures. I guess what I think of as orange is red.

Is the aft end black? It looked green in the other pictures. I guess what I think of as orange is red.

The entire body is dark green, it just looked black because the photo was dark. This photo is a little brighter.

164_retention.jpg

I drilled through the hardened epoxy clay for the upper rail button. I decided to tap it just in case. Worked like a charm. I had already drilled into the plywood block for the lower rail button, and I tapped it as well. She's ready to fly. All I need is a launchsite. That's going to be the hardest part of this build - waiting until November to fly her.

165_drill.jpg

166_tap.jpg

168_rail_button.jpg

170_rail_buttons.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing this bad girl fly, too.

Maybe with a little luck we'll be able to launch in October.

Well, we can't fly high power at SARG (except for cert flights), and LUNAR doesn't have a scheduled Snow Ranch launch in October. So to launch her before November, I'd have to go to Fresno, and I'm not sure I want to do that again.

Well, thank you for the compliments! I put the baffle plates about 3/8" apart. But I put mine in the top of the motor tube, not the coupler. I do put a baffle in the coupler of my zipperless designs, but I also put the half moons in the motor tube underneath it.

I cut the baffle plates today with my circle cutter,also made my top plate of the baffle for the eyebolt.What's the tested strength of the eyebolt you would use?My rocket is BTH70 body tubes and 51 inched long,it weighs 14.7 oz.I was at Lowes and saw a 3/16 x 2" eyebolt and almost bought it.As I was walking to the front to pay for it,I noticed it was rated at 40 lbs.I'm concerned it would not be strong enough.All the other eyebolts looked to large and might add to much weight.What should I look for when shopping for a eyebolt?

I cut the baffle plates today with my circle cutter,also made my top plate of the baffle for the eyebolt.What's the tested strength of the eyebolt you would use?My rocket is BTH70 body tubes and 51 inched long,it weighs 14.7 oz.I was at Lowes and saw a 3/16 x 2" eyebolt and almost bought it.As I was walking to the front to pay for it,I noticed it was rated at 40 lbs.I'm concerned it would not be strong enough.All the other eyebolts looked to large and might add to much weight.What should I look for when shopping for a eyebolt?

I use 1/4" eyebolts in my MPR scratch builds. I always cut off the extra length to lighten it. It will add at most an ounce or so. The photos are of 1/4" eyebolts in a BT70 coupler.

eyebolt1.jpg

eyebolt2.jpg

Is that 40lbs the working load or breaking load? The breaking load is usually a lot higher. I have a 3/16" eyebolt in my 3" Hijacker, which I've launched on up to a G80. It did get a zipper, but the eyebolt didn't fail. It weighs 18oz, and the baffle is cardboard.

hijacker14.jpg

P1040635.jpg

Is that 40lbs the working load or breaking load? The breaking load is usually a lot higher. I have a 3/16" eyebolt in my 3" Hijacker, which I've launched on up to a G80. It did get a zipper, but the eyebolt didn't fail. It weighs 18oz, and the baffle is cardboard.

I'm not sure,I saw 40 lb. on the tag.I might take a close look at the 1/4" eyebolt.That one had 80 lb. on it's tag.I thought it looked to large.I asked about the load rating,I told him what I needed it for,but he really couldn't help me.

I'm not sure,I saw 40 lb. on the tag.I might take a close look at the 1/4" eyebolt.That one had 80 lb. on it's tag.I thought it looked to large.I asked about the load rating,I told him what I needed it for,but he really couldn't help me.

Honestly, for such a light rocket, I think a 3/16" eyebolt will be fine.

Honestly, for such a light rocket, I think a 3/16" eyebolt will be fine.

I have been looking for forged eyebolts on the internet and see all are 1/4" and 500# rated.I just might go with 3/16" or the 1/4" that is rated 80#.I have all my baffle plates sized and ready to install.My BTH70 is a 2.267" OD.you put 8 holes in your top plate,with mine and it's size,do you have any recommendations on the number of holes and size of drill bit I might go with?

baffle plate for Blue Bird 009.jpg

I have been looking for forged eyebolts on the internet and see all are 1/4" and 500# rated.I just might go with 3/16" or the 1/4" that is rated 80#.I have all my baffle plates sized and ready to install.My BTH70 is a 2.267" OD.you put 8 holes in your top plate,with mine and it's size,do you have any recommendations on the number of holes and size of drill bit I might go with?

I tried out a couple drill bits and decided to go with 11/64 and here's what I came up with on my 1/8" plywood plate.Do you think the holes are large enough?

semroc iris.jpg

I tried out a couple drill bits and decided to go with 11/64 and here's what I came up with on my 1/8" plywood plate.Do you think the holes are large enough?

I drilled 1/4" holes in my BT70 baffle. I think I'd go a little bigger than 11/64".

20_baffle.jpg

I drilled 1/4" holes in my BT70 baffle. I think I'd go a little bigger than 11/64".
As this is my first attempt at this type of baffle I have many questions(sorry).I'll go 1/4" and see what happens.This is only 1/8 plywood.Thanks again.cjp.

As this is my first attempt at this type of baffle I have many questions(sorry).I'll go 1/4" and see what happens.This is only 1/8 plywood.Thanks again.cjp.

This is an 1/8" baffle for a 3" coupler with 5/16" holes. I think yours with 1/4" holes will be fine. And don't be sorry about your questions, ask as many as you want. I or someone else will answer all we can. That's how we learn!

baffle4.jpg

baffle5.jpg

baffle7.jpg

This is an 1/8" baffle for a 3" coupler with 5/16" holes. I think yours with 1/4" holes will be fine. And don't be sorry about your questions, ask as many as you want. I or someone else will answer all we can. That's how we learn!
I went with 1/4" holes but around the holes the wood chipped away.It looks like you have fender washers on yours,is this to provide strenght?I worry that the wood will slip because of the jagged holes.I will post a picture of mine later.

Back