Estes - Vagabond (#3217) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my Vagabond. I loved the metallic blue/red paint scheme earlier in this thread so much, I decided to make my own with slight additions! Built with wood glue everywhere except for the motor tube where I used epoxy. Planning to use some big E's and F's later on, maybe converting to reloadables, so wanted the extra strength.

Duplicolor Hampsted Green Metallic/Tamiya Metallic Red, Rusto 2x clear, finished with Meguiars car polish.

Can't wait to fly her next weekend!

buildpost16.jpg

Edit: First flight happened yesterday! Although I wasn't there to see it, here's a great snap of the takeoff courtesy of my father.

aOjK4OQ.jpg

Last edited:
Got around to uploading a vid of a second vagabond flight, this time on an AT E15W. This was the first composite motor I'd ever burned, so having put the case together correctly to avoid a disastrous lawn dart or cato was a big success for me! Love that APCP roar!!!!!!

[video=youtube;NZd-gh5Ylr8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZd-gh5Ylr8&[/video]

IMG_7960.JPG
The rocket is built completely stock except for a longer elastic shock cord of about 3 yards. The paint is Rust-oleum metallic aluminum and Rust-oleum semi-gloss black over white primer. I sprayed Krylon acrylic gloss clearcoat just before applying decals and a final clearcoat after the decals.

Thread res! Looks like it's been a while since there's been a post here but here's mine in Green and white, more of an action shoot. :)

I love this rocket, perfect size for the park by my house where you are actually allowed to fly without asking permission (one of the few in the county). As long as it's a windless day and I stick with the D engines I can consistently recover within the field. I don't dare try an E, too many rocket eating trees and power lines further out. :eek: Always flies arrow straight and high, looks good sitting still, and big enough to still see through the full flight (~750'), a crowd pleaser. Wish it was still in production.

Poised for the sky:

Vagabond on Pad.PNG

aaaannnd LAUNCH!

Vagabond Launch.PNG

Back