Estes - Vagabond (#3217) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the Estes Vagabond (#3217) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Vagabond (#3217) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Vagabond: #3217

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Vagabond (#3217) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Vagabond Also known as:

NUMBER: #3217

Introduced: 2011
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 35.25 in. (89.5 cm)
Diameter: 1.64 in. (42 mm)
Span:
Weight: 4.1 oz. (116.2 g)

Mfg. Description: Standing almost 3 feet tall, this amazing rocket can reach heights of 1275 feet. Launched on D and *E engines, this rocket is sure to be a crowd pleaser. (Estes 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-vagabond%203217-2011%20cat%20livery.jpg
2011 Catalog
estes-vagabond%203217-2012%20cat%20livery.jpg
2012 Catalog
estes-vagabond%203217-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-vagabond%203217-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
Aero Antics
Bubba02STi

TRF Applicable Threads
Vagabond for Christmas

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here's my first Vagabond..I'm really liking it.Flies good on D12's just waiting for the day I can put it up on a E28 reloadvagabond cntr brk.jpgvagabond finished.jpgIt has a baffle and it's zipperless w/pay load bay

I cant wait to finish mine and share it with you guys. I got a lot of insperation with this thread.

Krylon Pumpkin Orange, Walmart Gloss Black, Walmart Gloss White (base coat). Kevlar tied to motor mount to just inside end of BT, tied to 2.5x BT length of 1/4 flat elastic.

100_0048_zps4793f3ac.jpg

100_0050_zpse86baf53.jpg

Rusto floressant green rusto 2x flat black and rusto clear coat... completely stock

20120912_011130.jpg

Vagabondlaunch_zps48e84da4.jpg

My original Vagabond model was lost at NARAM-54 when the wind carried it off to land in the 'Big Icky'. :(

I had original bought two of these kits and I have just finished building the replacement. :)

The only changes I made between this build and my original is a Semroc baffle instead of my 'custom' method and ST-9 tubing for the motor mount instead of the kit supplied BT-50.

I must be getting better at building this model, the new one weighs 4/10ths ounce less than the first one I built. :wink:
Estes Vagabond (2).jpg

My original Vagabond model was lost at NARAM-54 when the wind carried it off to land in the 'Big Icky'. :(

I had original bought two of these kits and I have just finished building the replacement. :)

The only changes I made between this build and my original is a Semroc baffle instead of my 'custom' method and ST-9 tubing for the motor mount instead of the kit supplied BT-50.

I must be getting better at building this model, the new one weighs 4/10ths ounce less than the first one I built. :wink:

That's funny, I just finished my second one as well! Too bad about the Big Icky. I thought is was the Big Stink?

Anyway, mine is also considerably lighter than my first one at 132g (4.6oz). This was my first experience with Hobbylite balsa filler, it did a nice job.

My first one was lost to an E9 CATO.

View attachment 102347

All stock except painted the fins blue instead of orange.

171899_168791569927056_1799468460_o.jpg

I built an 81% scale Vagabond based on a BT-55 to fly on 18mm motors...flew it Saturday, very nice!

I scanned the decal then printed a scaled-down version on inkjet paper.

2013-08-24 16.20.51.jpg

RRR Launch 8-31-2013 031.jpg

Last edited:
"Custom rocketry" SAM-X. Identical to Estes kits. Built as a static.

WOW! Im so jealous!
I found it online for sale but it doesnt say whether or not its Ready to fly easy to assemble ETC.
I dislike really easy builds so, if you wouldnt mind what skill level is it? I REALLY would like to get my hands on one of these :surprised:

WOW! Im so jealous!
I found it online for sale but it doesnt say whether or not its Ready to fly easy to assemble ETC.
I dislike really easy builds so, if you wouldnt mind what skill level is it? I REALLY would like to get my hands on one of these :surprised:

Its not a particularly hard build but its not RTF or E2X either. It's a pretty basic staged kit with pre-cut balsa. All of Custom's kits are pretty easy (at least the ones I've had) but you do have to actually build them. They have some nice designs.

Welcome to the Estes Vagabond (#3217) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Vagabond (#3217) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Vagabond: #3217

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Its not a particularly hard build but its not RTF or E2X either. It's a pretty basic staged kit with pre-cut balsa. All of Custom's kits are pretty easy (at least the ones I've had) but you do have to actually build them. They have some nice designs.

Okay thats good that its not an RTF or anything, for 10 bucks I'm surely adding this to my "to get" list.
THanks!

The weather is awful in England so it's given me time to build the Vagabond I got for Christmas. My first none RTF, very enjoyable build - went for the black & white look, just painting the nose cone black still to do.

11689705834_0b8f245e00.jpg

I like it DavidB! Simple and to-the-point.

Make sure you put in the brightest most eye-catching parachute you can get your hands on. These fly fairly high with a E9 or E12 motor!

Krylon Pumpkin Orange, Walmart Gloss Black, Walmart Gloss White (base coat). Kevlar tied to motor mount to just inside end of BT, tied to 2.5x BT length of 1/4 flat elastic.

100_0048_zps4793f3ac.jpg

100_0050_zpse86baf53.jpg
Nice! How are you getting it to not touch the blast plate though?

Probably a piece of tape wrapped around the launch rod. That's how I do it.

here is my Vagabond with 3 estes viking boosters..... this pic/launch only 2 boosters lit :(
uvs140706-005.jpg

Back