Bringing in new blood

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stantonjtroy

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section so Mods, please feel free to move as you see fit. There has been talk on and off as to the possibly precarious future of hobby rocketry and craft hobbies in general. Some point to the Video game industry, others to a lack of appealing/ intriguing kit offerings, others look at over zealous regulation and regional policy restrictions. Though this may all bear some level of accuracy, I prefer to lay the blame where it belongs, on US the modelers. Allow me to elaborate.
I have observed over the years that we as flyers do a descent job of promoting the hobby in a close up, direct fashion ; We involve our kids and a couple of their friends, try to introduce it to scout, school and youth groups but rarely go too far out from the direct participation venue. I’m not knocking this at all, we need these efforts, what I’m suggesting is a more direct and specific introduction/recruiting effort utilizing a powerful tool, the rocketry clubs.
I have been very fortunate in my association with MDRA, I’m using them as they are the example I’m most familiar with, not taking away from the fantastic efforts of other clubs. MDRA has, for the last few years, participated in a number of “Meet and Greet” events at a number of local venues. The Maryland Science Centers “Space Day”, Wings And Wheels car show/fly in and on June 18th we’ll be having Central Virginia Tripoli team up with us at The National Air And Space Museums Udvar-Hazy Center for their Become a Pilot Family Day. Each of these events has, for us, one purpose; To promote rocketry at all levels to a public that is either totally ignorant of the hobby or has forgotten about it as a whim form their youth. We are able to show them that we, as a hobby, are not just still here but also introduce them to the awesome advances the hobby has seen over resent years. We present it as vendor at a trade show would with video demonstrations, examples of hardware and rockets and of course, lots of info in the form of handouts, free magazines and lots of conversing. In this last area, never underestimate the power of the kids you already have involved. My daughter, 12, has proven invaluable as a speaker to the adults. It’s one thing to tell parents that rocketry is a fun way to teach kids about math and science but it’s another for them to hear the kid’s enthusiasm as they themselves convey what they’ve learned, and it’s a good experience for the kids. These types of events also SHOW how rocketry can be a whole family activity.
I encourage every club to reach out to a high profile venue in your community. Yes it carries an expense, both in material and time. Yes it takes planning and effort, So does a launch! The efforts are worth it and when done well, the venue shares in the excitement and often makes an annual event of it or incorporates it into an existing annual event.
Take up the challenge. It’s worth it.

I have to say I completely agree. As a member of Tripoli Central Virginia, I'll be out at the Smithsonian on the 18th with you. We also set up booths at local air shows. We've been to the Culpeper Air Show for several years now and have had a number of new members and lots of spectators come out to launches as a result.

On those weekend you can't fly, setting up a booth and talking to kids and their parents that have that "Wow, That's Cool" look in their eyes, can be almost as fun.

Back