Loc Cyclotron build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

top150

Reaction score
Just got a box earlier with my cyclotron and lil rascal and some other stuff. I figured I would start a build thread. I haven't done much but glue the tube fins to each I will probably get a picture up later. I didn't order any motor retention so if you guys could give me some ideas how to make my own I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Tube fins rule. I like the Cyclotron.

Question: Shouldn't this thread be in the HP rocketry forum rather than the MPR?

Yeah I guess it should I was just thinking that at first I was going to launch it with some f's and g's so I ended up putting it in midpower.

Its fine in either one. If you want me to move it, let me know and I will.

Just got a box earlier with my cyclotron and lil rascal and some other stuff. I figured I would start a build thread. I haven't done much but glue the tube fins to each I will probably get a picture up later. I didn't order any motor retention so if you guys could give me some ideas how to make my own I would appreciate it. Thanks.

For retention, I put tee-nuts in the rear centering ring, then make my own clips out of brass or aluminum bar stock.

tee_nuts1.jpg

tee_nuts2.jpg

retention3.jpg

143_retention.jpg

144_retention.jpg

Thanks qquake. I am about to run up to home depot to see if i can get that stuff.

Thanks qquake. I am about to run up to home depot to see if i can get that stuff.

Home Depot should have the tee-nuts and aluminum bar stock. I used 6-32 tee-nuts, and 1/8" x 1/2" aluminum. The brass I got at Ace Hardware. It's 0.90" x 3/8". Just make sure you put the flange of the tee-nuts on the inside when you glue in the lower centering ring.

Well heres the progress so far. My retention doesn't look the best but it should work just fine. Thanks again qquake. I really need to clean the old rocket building table.

phpB1nDuyPM.jpg

php9hLyVtPM.jpg

Looks good to me. You won't be able to see the clips once the rocket's in the air anyway.

I have one sitting in a box at home that I haven't even opened. Got it for a steal on ebay. Hope to build it the week of the 4th. Keep up the thread! Gonna finish mine in Green with yellow ala John Deere. :eek:

Cool paint scheme. I need to paint this rocket. None of the rockets I have built have been painted except one that got a coat of primer and thats as far as I have gotten painting it.

John nows all there is to know about this rocket. How to put it together, and how to quickly take it apart. I have been waiting for some one to start a thread on this rocket!

Andrew

John nows all there is to know about this rocket. How to put it together, and how to quickly take it apart. I have been waiting for some one to start a thread on this rocket!

Andrew

Andrew, there are some thing about which we do not speak

EVER!

:dark::dark::horse:

But it is so much fun! But I am still the core sample king!

Andrew

Sorry to bring up an old thread but has there been any process on the build in over 2 years?!?!?!?!?!

Daaang, shiny. How did you get smooth application? Also, is it clearcoated for protection?

I think it was mostly luck. I did peel off the backing and apply the sticky side to the LOC tubing. I might have peeled the backing as I applied it to the the tubing. I cut the mylar and backing so that it was a close fit with very little overlap. The LOC tubing was smooth enough that the finished product looked good. There is no clear coat or anything. I did experiment quite a bit with trying to put mylar on the nose cone, but I gave up and painted the nose cone gold.

I found some pictures of the intermediate steps.

IMG_0658.jpgIMG_0655.jpgIMG_0659.jpgIMG_0656.jpgIMG_0660.jpgIMG_0657.jpg

Last edited:
Now I want to do this for the annular tube fin on my upcoming Corona build...

I got the mylar at an auto parts store. I flew this model once or twice on H-motors and it flew well. I got the LOC kit from our club as a door prize or auction. After flying it once or twice I gave it back to the club for an auction at the annual club meet. I hope the new owners enjoy it as much as I did. Actually, I derailed this thread a little bit. It was started by top150. I wonder how his Cyclotron turned out (?).

It probably goes without saying, that the Golden Cyclotron is the Gold Standard of Cyclotrons, and the one by which all other will be judged.

Congrats Aerostadt! Nice Work.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Top 150 last time here was February of 2013 , the build may have finished or run out of steam .

Hate to necro this thread, but HobbyLinc has the Cyclotron on sale this week, and it's got me thinking. A question, though- the review on the Hobbylinc website states that he modified the kit to fly with rail buttons instead of the included lug. There's no provision to ask questions on that site, so I'll ask here- has anyone successfully done this? I'm assuming there's sufficient clearance through a tube fin for the rail, since they're 3" diameter (I think?), but I wanted to find out since I haven't got a section of rail at home to test with.
Thanks!

Back