Estes - (Astron) Farside (K-12 or #1212) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stardust

Reaction score
Here is a new build from some plans I found in a moldy box of my papers from the 60s. "Astron FarsideX" Rocksimed 3000'...slopped Areopoxy resin over the fins/saturated BT with thin super glue for additional strength..
Mods include D powered, planned...streamer recovery

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• AstronFarsideX 003.jpg
    AstronFarsideX 003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 124
  • AstronFarsideX 002.jpg
    AstronFarsideX 002.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 126
  • AstronFarsideX 001.jpg
    AstronFarsideX 001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited by a moderator:
just a little fuzzy on this one but I think Estes Astron Farside was my first 3-stage mod-rod.
Then after loosing the second stage and sustainer on it's first flight build another with a slightly large finned 4-stage. which I lost all but the second stage (original 1st stage booster) on it's first flight LOL! so I quite flying 3-stage models until I got more people to help with recovery.

Astron Farside-a-sm_1st Fleet 3-stage_04-03-71.jpg

Astron FarSide-b-sm_1st Fleet 4 stage ver_06-03-72.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was in the 8th grade I used a Farside for my science project and made all city! used it to seed clouds!

Good times...Good times....

Andrew

I used mine to launch a mouse, in '75, it was not pretty. B14-0, B14-0, B14-crash under power! It has been rebuilt, but not flown since.

Here's mine. I made several mods. I integrated the payload section into the main section thereby making more room for parachute stowage. And I set up the first stage for 24mm power allowing the use of C11-0's and D12-0's in lieu of the defunct B14-0's. Doug .

https://www.doug79.com/farsides

My son and I are restricted by the Mrs. from launching anything alive. Launched a hamster once when she was with us. Rocket go up, no parachute, rocket hits asfault. Lots of blood and my eight year old yells out "COOL". No more live payloads.

Andrew

My son and I are restricted by the Mrs. from launching anything alive. Launched a hamster once when she was with us. Rocket go up, no parachute, rocket hits asfault. Lots of blood and my eight year old yells out "COOL". No more live payloads.

Andrew

Man at least for your Hamster it was quick! What did you hope to show or prove by launching your hamster? Did you have telemetry to your laptop or recording sensors on board? NO ONE should launch anything alive period! Please understand, and I don't mean to preach... I'm no Tree Hugger or PITA member but DANG!

Until the recent rewording of the Model rocket safety code. Launching of Live payloads was restricted.
Not sure why the wording was dropped from the "new shortened" Model Rocket Safety code, but the Old Long version stated we were NOT To fly live payloads other than insects if memory serves. But even that shouldn't be done...Why?
For the very reasons sited by mikeyd, & accooper. Death by Launching is NOT a pleasant thing. The LUCKY ones are those like accoopers. Launching any living thing makes absolutely NO sense at all Without a clear, scientific reason for subjecting that living thing to a model rocket launch, otherwise, it is just plan cruel. YES even lowly insects do not deserve such a cruel sentance. Should your rocket get hung in a tree or power line the creature stuck in that payload capsule is condemed to death by heat, thirst or hunger....long and slow death. NO LIVING THING deserves such a fate.
Payload bays are ment for any number of other much more interesting things.

Please, Please teach our kids NOT to launch any living creatures.

Last edited:
That was 13 years ago. That 8 year old is now almost 21.

Andrew
And yes I am old.

Poor Mouse-ternaut "Earl", we named him for the school custodian, died in the pursuit of science. My Brother and I went together to buy him, his science team was training him for a maze, I was measuring heart rate, and as much as a 16 yr old can respiration, and activity. There was no blood or guts, just a listless (dead) white mouse, named Earl. We both got incompletes on our science projects, even though we argued that we proved mice, become lazy, and listless, and their heart rate drops dramatically, after space flight. Our teacher would not budge. We missed Earl, but our Hamsters I think, were glad to seem him gone, as he got all the attention, and cheese incintives. Only the best food for out space heros! Have never floan a vertebrate, since, and for that very reason never will again! For that matter, have never flown the rocket since either!

DON'T

LAUGH

posed_farside.jpg

My Farside X clone came out pretty well. It needs some repairs after a staging failure. I still have a couple packs of B14-0 to get it moving at proper speed.

DON'T

LAUGH

posed_farside.jpg

My Farside X clone came out pretty well. It needs some repairs after a staging failure. I still have a couple packs of B14-0 to get it moving at proper speed.

One of my all-time favorites.:cool: I learned a new word when you posted this one Yahoo Old Rockets.:rolleyes: Homunculus:D

Scratch built from BMS balsa parts. Fins are canted like in the plans. Always bring a smile to people that remember the Farside and Farside-X. Still flying.

FarSide X C6-C6-B4-6 2003-06-15 02.jpg

Welcome to the Estes (Astron) Farside (K-12 or #1212) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes (Astron) Farside (K-12 or #1212) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Astron Farside: K-12 or #1212
Estes: Astron Farside-X: K-12X or #1261
Thrustline: Farside: TACL-012a
Thrustline: Farside X: TACL-012

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes (Astron) Farside (K-12 or #1212) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Astron Farside Also known as: Farside

NUMBER: K-12 or #1212

Introduced: 1963
Final Year: 1981
Designer: Bill Simon

Type: 3 Stage, Payload
Motor Mount: 1x18mm/1x18mm/1x18mm
Recovery: Tumble/Tumble/Parachute
Stages: 3
Length: 21.5"
Diameter: 1"
Span:
Weight: 2 oz

Mfg. Description: A sophisticated ultra-high altitude probe or a workhorse vehicle for high altitude studies with large payloads -- take your choice with the new Astron Farside. Advanced stage coupling gives dependable ignition and stage separation. Perfect for your advanced research programs. Top stage flies to well over 2500', returns gently by parachute. Available with standard 1" payload section (#641-K-12) or with extra large 1-1/2" dia. capsule for large payloads (#641-K-12X). Be sure to specify model type when ordering. Kit comes complete with all parts and assembly instructions (but no engines). (Estes 1964 Catalog)

=====

A sophisticated ultra-high altitude probe or a workhorse vehicle for high altitude studies with large payloads -- take your choice with the Astron Farside. Advanced stage coupling gives dependable ignition and stage separation. Perfect for your advanced research programs. Top stage flies to well over 2500', returns gently by parachute. Available with standard 1" payload section (#651-K-12) or with extra large 1-1/2" dia. capsule for large payloads (#651-K-12X). Be sure to specify model type when ordering. Kit comes complete with all parts and assembly instructions (but no engines). (Estes 1966 Catalog)

=====

A sophisticated ultra-high altitude probe or a workhorse vehicle for high altitude studies with large payloads -- take your choice with the Astron Farside. Advanced stage coupling gives dependable ignition and stage separation. Perfect for your advanced research programs. Top stage flies to well over 2500', returns gently by parachute. Available with standard 1" payload section (#651-K-12) or with extra large 1-1/2" dia. capsule for large payloads (#651-K-12X). Be sure to specify model type when ordering. Kit comes complete with all parts and assembly instructions (but no engines). Includes technical report, TR-2. (Estes 1967 Catalog)

=====

1968 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog
1969 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog
1970 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog

Advertising Liveries

estes-farside%20k12-1964%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1964 Catalog
estes-farside%20k12-1966%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1966 Catalog
estes-farside%20k12-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1967 Catalog

estes-farside%20k12-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1968 Catalog
estes-farside%20k12-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1969 Catalog
estes-farside%20k12-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1970 Catalog

estes-farside%20k12-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1971 Catalog
estes-farside%20k12-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1972 Catalog
estes-farside%20k12-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1973 Catalog

estes-farside%20k12-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1975 Catalog
estes-farside%20k12-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1977 Catalog
estes-farside%20k12-1978%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1978 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-farside%20k12-face%201.jpg
estes-farside%20k12-face%202.jpg
estes-farside%20k12-face%203.jpg
estes-farside%20k12-face%204.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-farside%20k12-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes (Astron) Farside-X (K-12X or #1261) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Astron Farside-X Also known as: Farside-X, Astron Farside X, Farside X

NUMBER: K-12X or #1261

Introduced: 1963
Final Year: 1971
Designer: Bill Simon

Type: 3 Stage, Payload
Length: 25"
Diameter: 1.5"
Span:
Weight: 2.5 oz

Mfg. Description: A sophisticated ultra-high altitude probe or a workhorse vehicle for high altitude studies with large payloads -- take your choice with the new Astron Farside. Advanced stage coupling gives dependable ignition and stage separation. Perfect for your advanced research programs. Top stage flies to well over 2500', returns gently by parachute. Available with standard 1" payload section (#641-K-12) or with extra large 1-1/2" dia. capsule for large payloads (#641-K-12X). Be sure to specify model type when ordering. Kit comes complete with all parts and assembly instructions (but no engines). (Estes 1964 Catalog)

=====

A sophisticated ultra-high altitude probe or a workhorse vehicle for high altitude studies with large payloads -- take your choice with the Astron Farside. Advanced stage coupling gives dependable ignition and stage separation. Perfect for your advanced research programs. Top stage flies to well over 2500', returns gently by parachute. Available with standard 1" payload section (#651-K-12) or with extra large 1-1/2" dia. capsule for large payloads (#651-K-12X). Be sure to specify model type when ordering. Kit comes complete with all parts and assembly instructions (but no engines). (Estes 1966 Catalog)

=====

A sophisticated ultra-high altitude probe or a workhorse vehicle for high altitude studies with large payloads -- take your choice with the Astron Farside. Advanced stage coupling gives dependable ignition and stage separation. Perfect for your advanced research programs. Top stage flies to well over 2500', returns gently by parachute. Available with standard 1" payload section (#651-K-12) or with extra large 1-1/2" dia. capsule for large payloads (#651-K-12X). Be sure to specify model type when ordering. Kit comes complete with all parts and assembly instructions (but no engines). Includes technical report, TR-2. (Estes 1967 Catalog)

=====

1968 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog
1969 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog
1970 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog

Advertising Liveries

estes-farside%20x%20k12x-1964%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1964 Catalog
estes-farside%20x%20k12x-1966%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1966 Catalog
estes-farside%20x%20k12x-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1967 Catalog

estes-farside%20x%20k12x-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1968 Catalog
estes-farside%20x%20k12x-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1969 Catalog
estes-farside%20x%20k12x-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1970 Catalog

estes-farside%20x%20k12x-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1971 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-farside%20x%20k12x-face%201.jpg
estes-farside%20x%20k12x-face%202.jpg
estes-farside%20x%20k12x-face%203.jpg
estes-farside%20x%20k12x-face%204.jpg
estes-farside%20x%20k12x-face%205.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-farside%20x%20k12x-instr%201.jpg
estes-farside%20x%20k12x-instr%202.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Thrustline Farside (TACL-012a) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Farside Also known as:

NUMBER: TACL-012a

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: 3 Stage, Payload, Clone
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Thrustline Farside X (TACL-012) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Farside XAlso known as:

NUMBER: TACL-012

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: 3 Stage, Payload, Clone
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

thrustline-farside%20x%20tacl012-2008%20web%20livery.jpg
Thrustline 2008 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Hello, I am close to final paint on my 2nd Farside scratch built... trying to decide how to paint it.
In all the catalog cuts that I can find, for 1971 it looks like there are 2 yellow fins on the sustainer,
and each stage. Bottom stage a single white fin, and 2nd stage a single black fin. Sustainer a
single white fin. Some of the later catalogs look like the rocket has a single yellow, white, and black fin
on each stage and sustainer. Can anyone confirm this? I will post pics soon...

My 1971 Astron Farside completed. Painted per 1971 catalog... no horizontal black stripes.
Boosters have already flown once, having successfully placed the sustainer into low orbit to never return.
Will probably fly the entire stack once in a really large field. farside.jpg

I have the plans for the X off Jim Z's site , but can anyone post the length of the payload and main body tubes. Was looking at doing a slight Upscale using BT 60 Main to BT 70 Payload. Think D12-0,D12-0,D12-7 will be a Kiiler combo. My site is empty 2 miles by 4 miles area.

Anybody here know how to get in touch with the Estes Designer Bill Simon? I see he was recently at the new Museum of Rocketry.

Thank you,

Kevin Kuczek

Back