Well that didn't work... Failure Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pictures ( well you know what I mean ). :p:eek::eek: I destroyed my Dagger on its 2nd flight when a -4 acted like a -8. I feel yer pain. Funny thing I don't snap shots of the wreckage. Too painful???:cry:

Apogee Aspire after an Estes E-9-6 Cato'ed on ignition:

007-1.jpg

060.jpg

Here it is a month later, renamed "Salvage 1" with original fins, nose cone, recovery gear and most of the body tube
with another coupler added:
071.jpg

Last edited:
P/R Lil Rascal........it whistled going up and down.

(flying it again this weekend)

imagejpeg_2.jpg

IMG00432-20110522-1136.jpg

My Son's semi-upscale(3") mean machine suffered a forward closure failure on a Loki H144 white motor. A good friend of mine caught this amazing photo of the calamity in progress. Booster was torched, but the fin can was salvaged - added a new tube, and it is still flying today!

meaner machine closure failure close.jpg

aww jeff that sucks. that happen yesterday?

Nah... a while ago. G38 that seemed to have had 0 ejection charge. EconoJets hate me. It's just a cool (or not) picture I ran into while rummaging though pictures that seemed a good fit here... I believe I have a few more! :D :y:

A successful swing test does not a stable rocket confirm...

But at least it's flying record matches the real thing.

FC

N-1 Launch.jpg

N-1 Climb.jpg

N-1 Composite.jpg

If I'm gonna comment, I guess I should contribute too!

From a number of years ago. Apparently the pilot forgot what "glide" means...

tcfinal.jpg

I believe in two kinds of flights:

1 - Successful flights
2 - "Learning experiences"

From this flight, I learned:
- Don't make your first-ever use of RMS motors a cert flight
- Guys that fly only hybrids are *not* a good mentor for learning to assemble reloads.
- Phenolic burns *real good*
- The PML Black Brant V is stable, even without a nosecone, and with fire shooting out the front end...

blazingbrant.jpg

:y:
OH NOES!
How bad was the damage?

Not as bad as you might think.

Though the chute didn't deploy before ground impact, it hit the ground sideways. The first stage 'flare' got dented on one side. But no parts came off...heck, you could display it with the dented side facing away and you'd never think anything was wrong. Anyway, it's a relatively minor repair...hopefully just a matter of pulling out the dent, putty and paint.

After analysis and post mortem, what we think happened is that the N-1 model is a 'drag stable' rocket. The big, flared bottom acts like a huge suction cup, always trying to pull to the center, like saucers, Stealths, wedge, etc do. But because the drag area is smaller in relation to the length of the rocket, we think it needs more speed before it can become completely effective against side forces like a crossbreeze.

We think that is why it could pass a swing test, yet not fly correctly...it simply didn't have enough speed when it left the rod. It didn't help that A) it's heavy - 10.4 oz with a D12-3 and B) the launch rod goes through the body...there is a launch lug that extends from the base all the way to the nose shroud. Both factors resulting in slower takeoffs.

I'm not sure if I'm going to attempt another flight after it's repaired.

FC

Today at the field.

Cluster of 3 Estes C engines with one deciding it had enough.

Solaris_2011_11.jpg

I had the same problem with my Beta. One of the guys I was flying with mentioned that I could lessen the possibility of this happening by poking something into the sustainer engine and scratching some of the propellant away to expose the fresh propellant. It doesn't take much and I've never had it happen since that first time.
I used that combination in my TK-40 Midget in its only flight so far, and it worked fine. The fit was so snug that I didn't need to tape the motors together. Sort of like Pop 'N Go staging, I guess. I tried to tape them together, but even a single wrap of cellophane tape was too thick and I couldn't get the BT-5 booster on all the way. So I skipped it and went without, which worked out fine. The motors were still butted up against each other, with no gap.

TK-40 Midget clone-Red.jpg

Back