Well that didn't work... Failure Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock Crapperhead. The worst part was I got it all on video.

I had one do that once, but I think it was because I didn't use the copperhead. I'd say the best part of your failure was getting it all on video!

What happens when nose cone is too tight. This G-Force was repaired and flew again, crashed several more times and was repaired several more times.

The G-Force is supposed to separate in the Middle, not the Nose Cone. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Nikon pictures to 2 2015 087.jpgI took this picture at Red Glare, I think it was Fall 2012. I don't know who the rocket belongs to, but it was the coolest flight up to that point in the day.

20140419_122443.jpg
This is my ShapeShifter Mini after a failed deployment. It was fine, but a bit of a scare.

IMG_7626-output

This is Carlo's picture of my STM 012 after the deployment charge decided it wanted to blow out the side. Crimped the tube right above the fins, removed a chunk of tube from the side, and a couple inches from the top. Fins, motor mount, NC and most of the BT were okay, so I rebuilt it. Turned out okay:
20150215_113616

And this is what happens when an Astron Skydart does a 180 at 30 ft. The ejection charge fired at 3 ft, really slamming the rocket into the ground: 20150215_113713

My first Maxi Alpha 3 suffered a deployment failure after flying on an E18W. When it hit the sod, the first 2" of the tube crumpled, and then the NC, which certainly wasn't crumpling, tore through the tube, as it kept going after the NC stopped. Didn't turn out so well: 20150215_113843

I also had a G75M CATO on the pad: [video=youtube;g8OsH1-g81A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8OsH1-g81A[/video]A
On the followup flight on the same motor, it ended up in a tree...

And a G76G suffer a forward blow by (first clip) but it survived and flew again later on a G75J (1:03): [video=youtube;GqDspmZ5zUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDspmZ5zUU[/video]

Once, I decided to fly a Maxi Alpha 3 on an F39T. Had my first shred when a fin came off at the end of the burn. I found it later that day! [video=youtube;pRBbIRYsfjw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRBbIRYsfjw[/video]

Nate

This was last April. The first and last flight of 5 Times A Fool, on a G64. The blanket was too big and thick and jammed the chute. All I was able to save was the nose cone and retainer. I have since built a second version, with a few changes.

[YOUTUBE]JZzZ8T8HDf8[/YOUTUBE]

P1100971.JPG

P1100990.JPG

P1110006.JPG

P1110001.JPG

P1070005.JPG

P1070013.JPG

P1070012.JPG

P1070011.JPG

I did "add" masking tape to my burrito, just to help the main chute slide inside my 5 inch Broken Arrow.. but forgot to get it out at last minute... I used a Cti N1800 for a quick ascension. It was also a quick descent...

Luckily, the rocket was almost intact, since it landed in tall grass...:facepalm:

Steeve_DSC_5828C.jpg

mistake 3.JPG

Mistake 2.jpg

mistake 4.JPG

Mistake.JPG

Here are my favorite pictures/videos, not favorite events, RMS J-570 EZ closure failure due to glue issue in mfg in my Titan II, interestingly it only scorched the inside and I flew it that same day on a J-570 with standard closure front...Second is an L-1000 DMS failure of the casing tubing due to incorrect wind angle from supplier in my 7' tall Redstone missile..third is a video of one of the few RC RG failures I've had, due to overweight glider requiring too fast a thrust motor leading to wing flutter and elevon failure....For scale the rail is a 6' long rail in the glider video.

[video=youtube;mOhngbhZDWI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOhngbhZDWI[/video]

Spring_Thunder_2015-7.jpg

Spring_Thunder_2015-6.jpg

2017-NXRS-73.jpg

Last edited:
I've posted these before but it's still pretty cool for those who are not aware of it. Tired old cardboard DD rocket. Actually the fincan is salvageable and awaits the 2nd repair. Next one is no harness and you guess what went wrong. Hint
Stupidhead struck again

[video=youtube;hMvT9BKzbUg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMvT9BKzbUg[/video]

[video=youtube;3JRnwRA6Wx0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JRnwRA6Wx0[/video] Kurt

Last edited:
Best one I witnessed but no pictures was an odd rock made out of a USPS triangular shipping tube. Had a triangular nosecone with fins coming off the back. Flier decides to "try a K" for the first time.
Rocket turns into confetti on ascent. I mean it got up a ways and "poof" a cloud of cardboard dust comes raining down. We're laughing like crazy and begin to go about our business as the flier dejectedly goes out to pick up
the cardboard bits. Seemed like a few minutes elapsed and all of a sudden a parachute is seen with a tube hanging under it. Closer inspection shows some "triangular bulkheads were intact on the tube!!

I believe now the rocket disintegrated and with the bulkheads and nosecone intact, it continued to fly straight up like an elongated "spool" rocket (this was before spools came out mind you) had a normal apogee and the chute came
out in sight unseen land. It, by coincidence, came down within sight where the flier was relieved to get his motor hardware and chute back. Due to the puff of "confetti" and the nature of the propellant, we couldn't follow the smoke trail
up. One of the darnedest flights I've ever witnessed. Kurt

3 .. 2 .. 1 ....

Hcmbanjo's Spudnik on an A10.

Has there been a history of A10 CATOs? I got two for four on a pack once... Still have one of them. Nozzle, igniter, and plug didn't move an inch, guts blew out the top. Both times the motor mount split along the spiral but the rest of the rocket was fine, no casing split.

If you got a chance to see the motor afterward, does that sound like the Spudnik CATO?

Has there been a history of A10 CATOs? I got two for four on a pack once... Still have one of them. Nozzle, igniter, and plug didn't move an inch, guts blew out the top. Both times the motor mount split along the spiral but the rest of the rocket was fine, no casing split.

If you got a chance to see the motor afterward, does that sound like the Spudnik CATO?

I've prompted Chris (hcmbanjo) to reply. I just took the photos. He baked the potato.

I've had one A10 CATO on me. It was a full-on detonation. It destroyed the entire tail cone on my Red Strike (Red River Rocketry).
2c9850ce7761cd77c49a10060caa8253.image.100x100.jpg

I never found any of the casing at all.

This motor was the first one I took out of a new pack. After that, I put the remaining unused motors in the "suspect" pile.

Im my 30 years of flying rockets i have only had 3 failers of an A10. Two were old 1970's era a10-0ts. The other was an A10-3T where the delay grain snuffed out and wrecked my mini patriot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J326AZ using Rocketry Forum mobile app

It was a Georgia versus Georgia Tech drag race at the GRITS 2017 launch. A husband and wife built the two college themed rockets and tried to launch them the same weekend that the rivalry played out on the football field. The Georgia rocket never left the pad (and never fired its ejection charge) while the Tech rocket suffered a spectacular cato.

Edit: Yes, E9s.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Another CATO yesterday.
Estes Mini HoJo, modded to 24mm md mount, C11-3 motor.
2022-08-29 (2).png
Clay nozzle blew out.
First time a C11 has CATO'd on me.
Grr.

Glue joint failure on an adapter. Motor lodged in the eBay and the top half of the rocket went flying while the bottom half stayed on the rail.VideoCapture_20210501-172150.jpgVideoCapture_20210501-171511.jpg20210501_114412.jpg

Back