NARCON 2012

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's announced at NARAM, so everyone should know in about 8 weeks.

John

Well, they could always let CATO host it again, like they did in 2009.

*runs for cover as Al starts throwing used motor cases at me*

Has CATO put in for hosting it? I could wait for the announcement but I was just trying to get an idea of even if anyone has put their name in the hat for hosting it.

Doug

Has CATO put in for hosting it? I could wait for the announcement but I was just trying to get an idea of even if anyone has put their name in the hat for hosting it.

Doug

To my knowledge, no.

I was joking.

It is a HUGE undertaking for the club. All I did was the program and run the front desk, and it was a boatload of work. I got to 1 seminar, and that was it.

Yes. it's a lot of work, and it takes a 1+ year commitment from the club to make it happen. But it's rewarding.

CMASS had a core group of 10 totally dedicated club members that made NARCON 2010 happen, and dozens of others who supported their efforts and the event.

It was a 2 year journey starting with 1 year of planning and supporting CATO with NARCON 2009, followed by 9 months of really hard work, 2 months of panic, 3 weeks of shear panic, 4 days of terror of wondering what was forgotten, 3 days of making it happen, and then utter relief and happiness when it was over.

I probably spent over 500 hours setting up the NARCON 2010 program, lining up the speakers, negotiating the best prices and making the arrangements for the convention and launch venues and the hotel, doing PR, dealing with the inevitable last minute hiccups, preparing and presenting 3 seminars, and helping to set up and tear down the setups at the convention and hotel. I think I got to see the final presentation by Bunny.

Was it worth it? Yes. Most definitely.

Would we do it again in the next few years? Probably not. You need a lot of downtime after to do the stuff you missed.

Bob

This year its at Hutchinson, Kansas jointly hosted by KOSMO and KCAR. PM me if you have any questions.

BTW, if you have the time while you're in Hutchinson, consider taking a tour of the Hutchinson Salt Mine.

We did it while we were down there for LDRS last year, and it's well worth it!

-Kevin

I would like to wish the very best to the folks out at NARCON for the upcoming weekend!

I wish I was able to attend, but it is just too far away. Instead we will be attending Red Glare but we will be thinking of you :)

Last week we were able to get the NARCON 2012 range box stickers sent out (whew!) and tomorrow we will be able to send out the NARCON commemorative kit!

Later next week we will be announcing the 1:130 scale Mercury Redstone sport scale model rocket kit! 20 of these kits are heading out to NARCON to be given out in, I am sure, a most creative way! :) We will also include a selection of other kits to help with any raffle or door prize needs for NARCON.

Attached are some photo's. I hope everyone has a wonderful time!
  • NARCON sticker
  • Mercury Redstone - NARCON will get kits number 10-29!
  • Close up showing Commemorative Kit sticker on all kits going to NARCON
  • Close up of back of package showing small parts
  • close up of laser cut parts L-R Air rudders and stabilizer fins, main fins, fin tips and tower details

narcon 2012 sticker.gif

DSC02869.JPG

DSC02870.JPG

DSC02871.JPG

DSC02874.JPG

Last edited:
Jim
I want to thank you for your generosity of Sponsoring NARCON and the wonderful kits. The Mercury Redstone kits look great and it will be a pleasure to give them out.
We will miss you at NARCON and hope you have fun at Red Glare.

Last edited:
Jim
I want to thank you for your generosity of Sponsoring NARCON and the wonderful kits. The Mercury Redstone kits look great and it will be a pleasure to give them out.
We will miss you at NARCON and hope you have fun at Red Glare.

Only too happy to help. Wish we could be there for the fun :)

Thanks to Blake Goddard, KOSMO and KCAR, for hosting a splendid, well-attended, NARCON, and for arranging the back stage tour of the Cosmosphere workshops in addition to free admission to the Cosmosphere itself. If you get a chance to visit the Cosmosphere, I highly recommend it. Be sure to leave some time; I spent a few hours there and still ran out of time.

Thanks also for directing all the tornadoes to the north and south of Hutchinson.

Blake and all the members of KOSMO and KCAR, we really appreciate your efforts on behalf of the NAR!

--tc
Ted Cochran
NAR VP & National Events Chair

I agree. I think Blake and his team did a pretty good job. I had been to the Cosmosphere 27 years ago but they have really improved on what was then a
really good museum. The tour of spaceworks was great.

This was my first attendance at national event, and it was fantastic!!! Very neat to meet folks I previously only knew online, and it was extremely incredible to shake Vern Estes' hand!! If not for a fellow clubmate (Mr. Martensite here) I would not have had the guts to go up to him!!

Thanks to all the hard work of KOSMOS and KCAR for putting this on, and thanks to the vendors (next time I will remember to bring cash, not credit cards :) )

And lots of good news from the NAR board!!!

Last edited:
It had been 35 years since I had been to a national event. I met Vern at Naram 19 and he is still just as nice of a guy as he was back then. I know my wife thought I was a bit crazy when I ask her to take a picture with Vern.

Blake and team did a FANTASTIC job. The Cosmosphere "back room" tour was worth the trip all by itself. And seeing John Boren's amazing CNC foam cutter machine really got my gears turning (to coin a phrase. . . ) Also got to hang out with rocketry friends, see my younger brother from Dallas, and experienced NO flight delays, even with the stormy weather.

Blake and team, take a well deserved bow! :clap:

This was my 7th Narcon since 2000, and it was a fun time! Congratulations to Blake and his team ! For anyone who has never been to a Narcon, put in down on your bucket list!

I think the pics speak volumes about the fun had at NARCON 2012! I met some of the nicest people and really enjoyed every part of it. Thanks to Blake and team for putting this on and for the extra efforts put forth by all. Thanks to the NAR, all vendors and club members who made this possible! My son is still telling stories about his discussions with an astronaut! Photos courtesy of RocketGuy101!!!

vern estes by rspoering77, on Flickr

moon rock by rspoering77, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think the pics speak volumes about the fun had at NARCON 2012!

I love the moon rock photo...it was a total accident. I was concentrating on the rock, and it was so dark in the Cosmosphere, I could not see beyond the display. When I saw what the flash picked up, and the expression on your son's face looking at the rock, I was really pleased with the shot!

Good times!

I just want to say thanks for all the kind words from every one here and It was our pleasure to be able to put NARCON on this year.

To tell the truth I did not think it was possable to put it on and get it going in such a short amount of time that we had to get it all togther.

I am glad that everyone had a good time and it was great for me to meet so many other rocketeers as well.

By the way it was my first NARCON to attend as it was for most of the members my club (KOSMO).

I just want to say thanks for attending because even though we made it possable, you (the people that attended) are the ones that made it a great time.:clap:

I heard several people say they thought your club and KCAR did a good job
for the in experience of each club on a national level. When we held Naram19
in K.C. , our club only had two people that had experience at a national level and we were not a full year old when we held the nationals. From someone that has been there, you all did good.

Ditto on a great job. For me, the highlight had to be meeting the man, Vern Estes. It was also great seeing lots of my "old friends" from KOSMO again. Finally, thanks to Blake and all the folks that worked hard putting this all together.

Back