Can you get a D3 motor or similar?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfos

Reaction score
I was on the apogee website and saw they use to sell a D3 composite motor that aerotech made. I suppose it has been discontinued.

Is there any other place where you can get long burning 18mm D motors (single use or reload) like a D3 or something similar?

The 20mm Quest D5 is as close as you are going to get.

There is little demand for a D3 except for competiition flying as it is unsutable for heavy rockets. It really shines in competition rockets weighing more not more than 2 oz. with engine.

Bob

Aerotech has/had a D3 reloadable under developement. I asked about it a few months ago on the AT facebook page and was told at that time that it is still being considered.

It sucks that it is reloadable... The only rocket you rould be able to put it in would be a min dia bird. And that would mean losing the casing.

Ed LaCroix, founder of Apogee and the person responsible for having the D3 manufactured, referred to it as "6 seconds of terror."

I was on the apogee website and saw they use to sell a D3 composite motor that aerotech made. I suppose it has been discontinued.

Is there any other place where you can get long burning 18mm D motors (single use or reload) like a D3 or something similar?

I flew a D3 once.

I think it is still going! :D

The Quest D5 is a nice, long burn motor.

I flew a D5 at NARAM-52. Cool flight, long walk! ;)

N52 Semroc Magnum Hornet with Quest D5-6 motor awaiting launch.jpg

N52 Semroc Magnum Hornet launches on Quest D5-6 motor.jpg

N52 Semroc Magnum Hornet streaks skyward on a Quest D5-6 motor..jpg

Must have been a slow take off.

Andrew

You aren't kidding there. I fly these almost every month, in quite a large glider, and it is always a show. Goes up nice and slow, gets good height, especially compared to an Estes C6, and results in awesome glides.

If you look at the recent May TTRA launch photos Roger took over on rocketreviews.com, you can find a montage of photos of one of my flights here. Had (operative word: HAD) a cardstock/Depron 2" gliding Bomarc that also used to fly on D5's. Perfect motor, but only in the right gli...oops, I mean rockets!

The Quest D5 motor is 20mm in dia. and midway between an Estes D and E motor in length, so you have to build the rocket accordingly.

I just launched on this past Sunday and it burned through its casing as well as the motor tube.

But the little “Astra” got waaaaaaayyyy up there.

im with everybody else i miss the c4 and d3 they were great in apogee blue streak kits the only problem was you normally didnt see them again after the burn but it would get peoples attention every time....

Had the gentlest power prang of all time when I put one in a Snitch. "Impacted" just before burnout :smile:

Back