Instructions...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradycros

Reaction score
"Yup....I was just looking through the "instructions" section on Estes website this morning. Think I am going to build a scale Python 4 from their instructions actually."

paul.nortness made the above statement in post #27 in the "Does it seem right" thread found in 'The Watering Hole'.

Estes is letting us look at their instructions for free? I thought that looking into this would be worth the time. I also wonderd why the there were quote makes around the word 'instructions'.

I went to www.estesrockets.com
On the home page you will find no mention of "instructions".
So I put "instructions" into the search box and got;
nothing.

I thought maybe you have to sign up with Estes to get at the information.
I signed up with Estes and returned to the home page and found;
nothing.

Then I selected the Education box on the home page thinking that "instructions" educate you on how the rocket in question is built, right?. Again;
nothing.

To shorten this post up, I clicked on nearly every box on the home page and got;
nothing.

Customer Service? Why not try it? Tried everything else.
This what I found in the left hand colum: Instructions

WTF. Who'd a thunk it?
I was thunking OOP instructions would be more of a archivel type thing and not a 'customer sevice' type thing.

So... now that the instructions have been found, they aren't in alphabetical order. They are in numerical order. What's up with that?

Seems kinda backwards to me. When I think of a kit, I think of it's name, not the kit number. A 'Search' function would be a real time saver and alot better then scrolling through the list to find the rocket by name.

So... now that the instructions have been found, they aren't in alphabetical order. They are in numerical order. What's up with that?

Seems kinda backwards to me. When I think of a kit, I think of it's name, not the kit number. A 'Search' function would be a real time saver and alot better then scrolling through the list to find the rocket by name.

I run into that all the time with decals.

Everybody want decals by name...they are listed numerically by Estes, YORP and JimZ.

Usually I just do a Google until I find the kit number.

Thanks Bradycros!
You've saved all of us from wasting our time!

In addition to Jim Z's, Shasta and Ye Olde Rocket Plans, I ran across this address a while ago.
It's from the Tripoli Rocketry of Louisiana & South Louisiana Rocketry (SoLaR) forum.

https://estesplans.larocketryforum.com/

There may be some plans there the other sites might not have.

Well, it makes sense.

Instructions are not the same as decals or templates. Depending on the kit, simple instructions do not a clone make.

FC

Well... there ya go!

All the instructions I looked at had no templates.

I'm glad you posted where it was you found it.....I took a look at the site and scratched my head a bit...."I was actually looking at those, right? Where the heck!"

Ah.....the mind does wonderful things while working night shifts!

Well, it makes sense.

Instructions are not the same as decals or templates. Depending on the kit, simple instructions do not a clone make.

FC

The kits from the 60's had templates printed on the instructions. The templates were needed because you had to cut out the fins by hand.

Estes has omitted these instructions from their listing. If they haven't rereleased the majority of these kits in nearly half a century, why withhold the dated information.

The goverment declassifies secret information in a more expedient time frame then Estes.

Lucky for us, human nature dictates that if someone is doing something, someone else will be spying on their activity. That information will then be made available to whoever wants or needs it.

Where theres a will, theres a way. That's what makes sence.

The kits from the 60's had templates printed on the instructions. The templates were needed because you had to cut out the fins by hand.

Estes has omitted these instructions from their listing. If they haven't rereleased the majority of these kits in nearly half a century, why withhold the dated information.

The goverment declassifies secret information in a more expedient time frame then Estes.

Lucky for us, human nature dictates that if someone is doing something, someone else will be spying on their activity. That information will then be made available to whoever wants or needs it.

Where theres a will, theres a way. That's what makes sence.

While denying you access to information, Estes also likes to have a free hand with your wallet.

The new QCC Explorer, kit #3221 is really cool looking. For only $18.99 it can be yours. Don't forget to add in the $8.49 shipping fee for a total of $27.48

The exact same QCC Explorer made by Estes, kit #3221 and is still really cool looking can be purchased at www.hobbylinc.com for $12.29. Add the $6.18 shipping fee for a total of $18.47

Tough choice.

Cost likely has a lot to do with it.

Assuming they even have all the old instructions, they're in a format that's not as easily converted to computer. At best, they'd have to be scanned.

When I called them several years back, to ask about fin patterns for a specific kit, I was told that information on some kits was lost -- they had a specific closet where they had a copy of the kits, plus instructions, etc, and everything in it was destroyed. I don't recall if it was a fire, water leak, or what it was.

Regardless, I just remember being told that a certain portion of their copy of their history is gone.

-Kevin

Thats because there are several versions of the same kit.
I think theres Three different "interceptors" i think mine is 2051...probably has to do with production runs, and changes between each one.

Thats because there are several versions of the same kit.
I think theres Three different "interceptors" i think mine is 2051...probably has to do with production runs, and changes between each one.

Why would several versions of a kit have any effect as to weather the kit was listed alphabeticly or numericly? Wouldn't they still have the same name with different kit numbers?

Can you de-ClayD that?

Interceptor Kit #2051; you have the right numbers, but they're in the wrong order.

Is it really that difficult to use Ctrl+f in your browser? :eyeroll:

Why "withhold" information? Because they are running a business that has costs involved in doing anything. From their perspective, why spend money on something that will have no return on investment?

It is the "find" function. It allows you to easily search for anything on the page. For example, after I brought up the Estes Instructions page, with the long, numerically ordered list, I just hit Ctrl+f and typed "python" (without the quotes) in the little box that popped up, and without even having to hit Enter the cursor was on the item I was looking for. This works in both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox and probably all other browsers (and in many other applications). If the first thing it finds is not the droids you are looking for, click on Next or Previous and you can find all instances.

It is the "find" function. It allows you to easily search for anything on the page. For example, after I brought up the Estes Instructions page, with the long, numerically ordered list, I just hit Ctrl+f and typed "python" (without the quotes) in the little box that popped up, and without even having to hit Enter the cursor was on the item I was looking for. This works in both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox and probably all other browsers (and in many other applications). If the first thing it finds is not the droids you are looking for, click on Next or Previous and you can find all instances.

That is a good piece of information. Thank you for sharing.

Hey! That works cool!

Thanks.;)

F3 does the same thing in FireFox. It opens a small search bar either at the top or bottom of your browser window/tab.

F3 does the same thing in FireFox. It opens a small search bar either at the top or bottom of your browser window/tab.

The most elegant solution is a sortable table of all entries. Click on the header for the name column and it sorts by name, click on the header for the kit number and it sorts the list by number, etc. Apogee has a great example of this on their site. Click on the entry and it takes you to the detail page for that entry. I love that this one lets you sort by motor diameter.

Hit "Edit" on the toolbar under the location pane in IE and when the menu drops down, go to the bottom and click "find on this page" and it will pop up another little window that you can type your search term into as well, and it will do the exact same thing without having to remember the keyboard shortcut for it...

Later! OL JR :)

Hit "Edit" on the toolbar under the location pane in IE and when the menu drops down, go to the bottom and click "find on this page" and it will pop up another little window that you can type your search term into as well, and it will do the exact same thing without having to remember the keyboard shortcut for it...

Later! OL JR :)

I like that even better, thanks JR.

Crtl + F is quite handy to remember. It's used across all of Microsoft's programs as well as Acrobat, and I'm sure more. Plus, when new versions of software come out, you don't have to try to find where they moved the search icon/drop down to.

Can you de-ClayD that?

Interceptor Kit #2051; you have the right numbers, but they're in the wrong order.

Story of my life!!! MY wife, bless her heart has to put up with the Clayd-effect....

Anyway, the organization of the data really depends on the person doing the organizing... i would venture to say, an engineer would organize a numerical database of information. Whereas a librarian, would assign a new category number based on the name, and kit number to be cross referenced. Likewise, a IT guy would probably put list tabs on the top with two rows of data cells and allow you to filter the information your looking for.

In order for de-clayd'ing, would require cohesiveness to form between the left an right halves of my brain... Will never happen.... so unfortunately for my wife, i will remain both O.C.D and chaotically organized at the same time.

Back