Estes - Magnum (#2032) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another Old Estes nicely Designed 2-Staged D12/18mm motor kit was the Magnum.
BT-60 Payload section and neat looking fin pattern make the model look like is was speeding just standing there:) At the time my youngest daughter was into Garfield big time. She found a small cap and gown clad Garfield that was just about right to make the trip aboard the Magnum.
So our "Phi Beta Catta" graduated " Magnum goes Loudly"! and he sure did right into the River under a great looking 24" hemi-nylon chute. We fished them out and the magnum is still flying strong today:)

069a2_Magnum Goes Loadly 2-Stage_05-17-06.jpg

069b_Magnum Goes Loadly_PhiBetaCatta payload_05-15-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine finished.

Attachments

• 100_1790.jpg
    100_1790.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_1791.jpg
    100_1791.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 61
Welcome to the Estes Magnum (#2032) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Magnum (#2032) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Magnum: #2032

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Magnum (#2032) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Magnum Also known as:

NUMBER: #3032

Introduced: 1990
Final Year: 1994
Designer:

Type: 2 Stage, Payload
Motor Mount: 1x24mm/1x18mm
Recovery: Tumble/Parachute
Stages: 2
Length: 34.625"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span:
Weight: 4.17 oz

Mfg. Description: Big, challenging rocket with clear payload bay for cargo features "D" powered booster stage and regular engine upper stage. Launch to altitudes approaching 1/4 mile. Rocket and cargo return safely with giant 24" parachute. A 3/16" dia. Maxi Rod (#2244) is required for launch. (Estes 1990 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-magnum%202032-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1990 Catalog
estes-magnum%202032-1992%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1992 Catalog
estes-magnum%202032-1993%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1993 Catalog

estes-magnum%202032-1994%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1994 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-magnum%202032-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I moved not all that long ago. So, my rockets are buried in boxes in the attic where I can't get to them. Worse, I didn't have a way of getting photographs of my Magnum mods back in the day. So, I'll try to describe them for you.

In 1990, I returned to the US after my stint in the USAF, and while I was waiting for my acceptance into college, I rediscovered my love of model rocketry. One of my pride and joy's was the Magnum. However, I didn't like the gap between the lower edge of the upper stage's fins and the upper edge of the booster. I bought some balsa (1/8" if I remember correctly) and created my own fin that kept the original upper stage's angle, filled in the gap, and continued the line of the booster's outside edge on the upper's outside edge.

I also have a habit of chopping off the tops of the payload section's coupler and the bottom off of the nosecone (this greatly increases the payload section's available area, but the nosecone is now for payload duty only). I'd paint the inside of the coupler and the nosecone the body colour and I feel this greatly improved the look of the rocket upon close examination.

You'll have to take my word for it, the paint and decals were some of my finest work. I launched it several times at the local school's playground, until the upper stage failed to ignite, and the rocket ballistically came down in the school's neighbor's produce garden (about 4 inches stuck into the dirt). Save for the booster section (and the upper stage's unlit C6-7 engine), the remains were not salvageable.

A 2nd attempt was made, and it Catoed on it's first launch. The booster engine exploded and in the process knocked the upper stage's mount loose, and ignited the C6-7. The rocket flew off with the nose pointed straight up, but at an angle reminiscent of a Naval surface launched cruise missile, then fell to the ground and ejected the parachute after impacting. My roommate's 8-year-old nearly reached the rocket before a yell stopped him short of grabbing the rocket before the ejection charge fired.

After that, I stopped painting my rockets until after I launched and recovered them at least once.

I built a second variation of the rocket from the salvaged payload section of the catoed rocket, and a purposely bought and cannibalized Mean Machine (this one lacked the Magnum's decals for obvious reasons). This time, I kept the lines of the upper stage's fins (and increased the count to 4), and designed a slightly larger version of the upper stage's fins for the booster. This rocket flew beautifully and in a stroke of luck on one of its flights, the booster engine ejected itself from the booster stage, this allowed the stage to glide down like a boost glider. On one of my most memorable launches, I launched it (single stage) on a windy day. The rocket got up about 45' before a sudden gust canted the rocket into a nearly horizontal trajectory, directly over the heads of a soccer match, and heading straight for the soccer match's fans sitting on their 2nd floor deck at a nearby apartment complex. I honestly thought that the rocket would impact directly in and amongst the fans. Fortunately, less than a hundred feet from them, the ejection charge finally deployed the chute, and due to the wind, the rocket sailed back over the heads of the now paused soccer match and into my hands less than 18 feet from it's launching point. Oh how I wish I had a video camera back in the 90's.

I have a desire of building this again someday, and perhaps with a keychain video camera (or 2 or 3) payload. I'd love to get a look back, look ahead, and side view of a rocket launch, but only if I'm certain I'll recover the thing.

Last edited:
I finally took pictures of the damaged Magnum... They're uploaded to my flickr photostream.

This Motor:

Did this

To this rocket.

The sustainer has been re-purposed into a large paint wand of sorts, but now I'm thinking about cutting away the damaged fin can, and trying to reuse the remaining tube.

I find it amazing to me, how memory is so kind to my old rockets. I could have swore that this rocket had all of it's fins sealed and the grain smoothed out. In all honesty, it did have good fillets, and wasn't finished when it was launched.

jmartyg, Micromiester...

Ummm... that shade of blue... Tell me more!!!

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
Here's my Estes Magnum from 1992 painted with Testor's Competition Orange enamel. The booster shown was a re-build after I made the mistake of launching it without a spotter. It fell in a tall grass drainage swale, part of a freshly plowed cornfield. I searched for an hour until the heat got to me but never found it.

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

I FINALLY found the paint to match the decals!!! Testors' Gloss Bright Blue (1210).

Man I hate blue rockets... Lord knows I love blue rockets... It's just so hard to match the colors.

I just came across this. Late response. I used Krylon Fusion Patriotic Blue 42329. I took the decal sheet to Canadian tire and went through about 20 Dupicolour colors until I found the Krylon.

20150812_220048.jpg

Back