NARTS - Grumpy Dog Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While this one isn't an original design. I just had to build one for club demonstrations & displays.

I don't recall clearly where I saw this little beasty. MR or Estes club??? but all the parts are Estes.
The original wasn't quite the size I built as I was going for the Largest Model Rocket I could Launch under 1 pound. Back in the old days the FAA limited use to 454grams total liftoff mass including motors.

My Versions of the Grumpy Dog is 119.75" long BT-70/Bt-60 2 staged D12-0/D12-5 powered with 2 15" nylon chutes the Ewt. is 368grams Adding the two motors 452grams.
It's Grumpy cause it doesn't like any wind at all. but flys really well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a NAR plan set.......somewhere.
I flew mine a few times. The upper BT 60s tended to crimp a bit after a couple hard landings.
I toasted my booster once so I CHAD staged it. Very stable.
I agree with Micro, not a good flier in wind.
I may rebuild her with 4 18mm cluster stage to 24mm
Or 2 24mm each stage.
Still a fun rocket.
Mark T

I'm having trouble figuring out how to index this one.

Do I understand correctly that it was a published plan? If so, where did it come from?

Should this be a gallery for long skinny rockets?

Should it be a superoc gallery?

Thoughts? Answers? Help!

JAL3:
I'm not sure either, It's really not a SuperRoc as it's 2-staged.

Mark T mentioned he has the NAR plan so I'm pretty sure it was Published in a Model Rocketeer Mag at some point.... I just don't recall.

Mine is also Altered to increase both upper and lower stage lengths to make it a 10 foot -1lb rocket... which it is if you count the 1/4" of motor stickout with the engine hook;)

It's a LONG Tall Grumpy Dog... LOL!!!

Last edited:
JAL3:
I'm not sure either, It's really not a SuperRoc as it's 2-staged.

Mark T mentioned he has the NAR plan so I'm pretty sure it was Published in a Model Rocketeer Mag as some point.... I just don't recall.

Mine is also Altered to increase both upper and lower stage lengths to make it a 10 foot -1lb rocket... which it is if you count the 1/4" of motor stickout with the engine hook;)

It's a LONG Tall Grumpy Dog... LOL!!!

Was "Grumpy Dog" the name of the original plan?

Thanks Bill, for digging out the plans. IIRC mine staged kinda low.... less than 100 feet or so.....
Whaddya think about a 2 24mm cluster 1st stage/1 24mm second stage???
Instead of having to pressurize the 4 BT 60s, split her in half and deploy that way???
Thoughts???
Mark T

Yeap sure was, I'm thinking the article would have been sometime between 1990-91 as the model was built in the summer of 91.

Grumpy Dog is absolutely my favorite rocket of my youth!

Like "everyone" else, I just HAD to make it taller. It flew great. (I only flew it
at dawn, so I have no idea about performance with wind.)

I think I was a freshman in high school when I built it. So somewhere around
1975. (I just CAN'T be that old, can I?)

Good to hear about other Grumpy Dog fans.

Now that I am seriously looking at the plans, the title says Grumpy Dog II. That sort of implies that there was a Grumpy Dog I. Does anybody have any information or the development?

Welcome to the NARTS Grumpy Dog Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the NARTS Grumpy Dog and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

NARTS: Grumpy Dog II: SP-101

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
NARTS Grumpy Dog II (SP-101) Basic Information.

narts%20trf.gif
N.A.R. Technical Services (NARTS)

MODEL NAME: Grumpy Dog II Also known as:

NUMBER: SP-101

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Phil Engelauf

Type: Sport, 2 Stage
Motor Mount: 1x24mm/1x24mm
Recovery: Tumble/Parachute
Stages: 2
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight: 15 oz

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

narts-grumpy%20dog%20ii%20sp101-plan%20image.jpg
Plan Image

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

narts-grumpy%20dog%20ii%20sp101-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
An old favorite (and even older than people have suggested above!!) John, there are a couple of clues about the Grumpy Dog I in the description paragraph in the plans. Phil says authoritatively that the GD I did not have the BT-20 "gas channel" assembly in the booster. He also refers to other mods but alas without saying what they were. It was definitely published in the Model Rocketeer...I checked the index at https://www.nar.org/pdf/magindex.pdf and found it listed for the Nov 1973 edition, Vol. XV No. 10, pp. 6-7.

An old favorite (and even older than people have suggested above!!) John, there are a couple of clues about the Grumpy Dog I in the description paragraph in the plans. Phil says authoritatively that the GD I did not have the BT-20 "gas channel" assembly in the booster. He also refers to other mods but alas without saying what they were. It was definitely published in the Model Rocketeer...I checked the index at https://www.nar.org/pdf/magindex.pdf and found it listed for the Nov 1973 edition, Vol. XV No. 10, pp. 6-7.

Your contribution to my education is much appreciated!!

Back