Case Storage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
What do you all use to store your motor cases in? I just bought this organizer box, but it's not quite big enough. I also want to keep my CTI and AT delay drills in it, and maybe a tube of Super Lube. They had a bigger box at Home Depot, but it was a little too big.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

I've seen people use Pelican cases a fair bit. Cut the foam to shape and you are set. Weather proof, water proof, dust proof, sand proof, impact proof, and wealth proof. Those suckers will set you back a pretty penny, but then again, given the amount you just dropped on all those casings, good protection is worth it.

Attached photo shows where some of them are, for now. Others are in another box in the garage, yet more are in another case, and some are on shelves.

When the quantity is small, cases work well. As the number grows, especially as the cases themselves get bigger, cases to keep them in get impractical.

-Kevin

c.jpg

Attached photo shows where some of them are, for now. Others are in another box in the garage, yet more are in another case, and some are on shelves.

When the quantity is small, cases work well. As the number grows, especially as the cases themselves get bigger, cases to keep them in get impractical.

-Kevin

I second that. I've got hobbyline cases in the range box, 29 & 38mm in a cardboard box with foam liner, and the 54mm are loose in an old dresser drawer. I'm sure any 75mm will join them and I have no idea what I'll do with anything larger I might lay my hands on.

I put my closures a in a drawered tool box. My motors are in a large rubbermaid cooler like box. I will take some pictures.

I'm with Kevin. All my 29-54mm cases are in a cardboard box that I bring to every launch. My 75mm and 98mm cases are in the corner of my office/man cave. I only bring those to a launch if I'm planning on using them.

I'm with Kevin. All my 29-54mm cases are in a cardboard box that I bring to every launch. My 75mm and 98mm cases are in the corner of my office/man cave. I only bring those to a launch if I'm planning on using them.
Same here. 1 box with 24-29 mm cases, another much larger one with 38 and 54 mm cases. 75 and 98 mm against the wall.

98 hardware.jpg

I carry my motor cases rolled up inside of suitably sized zip-lock bags and carry them inside a shoebox-sized Sterilite plastic box.

Yes, I have only 24mm, 29mm and 38mm cases in the 3 grain and under sizes so clearly it's a case of what works for me may not work for you.

I keep my 18 and 24mm cases in small zip lock bags in my flight box.

The less I spend on fancy stuff the more I can fly.

I do keep my reloads separate from cases.

Andrew

Thinking about this, I think there's another aspect, as well...

Many folks (myself included) go a bit overboard when we first start buying hardware, investing in Pelican cases, gun cases, etc, and providing copious amounts of padding around the hardware, because of the investment we have in it.

The reality? This stuff is pretty durable, and doesn't need that level of treatment.

I've switched from padded cases that add a lot of bulk and volume to what I'm hauling. Now, I use flannel "socks" my wife sews for me. They're not fancy, but they do the job and provide the cases with sufficient protection.

A simple case like this one is more than sufficient -- no need for the bulk of a big, fancy case.

attachment.php

The main priority is keeping things where you can find them, but also where they don't take up a lot of room.

As an example, my AMW 54mm nozzles are all in one small box that fits the four of them perfectly. Each is marked with a silver Sharpie as to which case it's for, and each is wrapped in a paper towel, to keep them from banging against each other, and getting chipped. That box then sits inside my range box.

-Kevin

I use the clear plastic sleeves for my cases that Kevin has pictured on some if his. Then I take those 54mm and smaller and put them in a long flat plastic tote with a lid. Works well enough

Back