AT 38mm Special Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I have one of the Aerotech 38mm Specials. As far as I can tell, the case is a standard 38/360 case, and it has a standard aft closure, spacers, and a special "floating" forward closure. Can that forward closure be used with other cases? I'd like to get a 38/480 case, but don't know if I need to get a new forward closure too.

38mm_special2.jpg

aft_closure1.jpg

forward_closure1.jpg

forward_closure2.jpg

forward_closure3.jpg

I have one of the Aerotech 38mm Specials. As far as I can tell, the case is a standard 38/360 case, and it has a standard aft closure, spacers, and a special "floating" forward closure. Can that forward closure be used with other cases? I'd like to get a 38/480 case, but don't know if I need to get a new forward closure too.

The 38mm bits are compatible across the entire 38mm line. It's also compatible with the AeroTech approved hardware (Dr Rockets and Rouse-Tech).

Only in 29mm do things get different, where the Hobby Line and the HPR line hardware are not compatible.

So, now that you have a set of 38mm closures, all you need to buy is the individual cases, as opposed to full motors.

-Kevin

I recommend that you buy the 38/720 case instead. With the reload adapter system, the 360, 720, and the 1080 cases, you can fly every 38mm reload that Aerotech sells.

G.D.

The 38mm bits are compatible across the entire 38mm line. It's also compatible with the AeroTech approved hardware (Dr Rockets and Rouse-Tech).

Only in 29mm do things get different, where the Hobby Line and the HPR line hardware are not compatible.

So, now that you have a set of 38mm closures, all you need to buy is the individual cases, as opposed to full motors.

-Kevin

Well, that's good news. I'll need to get the forward seal disc, too, for the 38/480 case.

I recommend that you buy the 38/720 case instead. With the reload adapter system, the 360, 720, and the 1080 cases, you can fly every 38mm reload that Aerotech sells.

G.D.

So the spacers and floating forward closure I have will work with the 720 and 1080 cases?

According to the spec sheets from Aerotech, it is compatible across the entire 38mm line.

Oh, and I'm jealous. You cannot find the 38 special deal anywhere any more.

G.D.

According to the spec sheets from Aerotech, it is compatible across the entire 38mm line.

Oh, and I'm jealous. You cannot find the 38 special deal anywhere any more.

G.D.

Yeah, I really wish I'd gotten one of the 29mm Specials when they were available.

G.D.

The 38/1320 case can be used to fly 38/1080 reloads with 2 spacers. There are currently no reloads that can be flown with a 38/1080 case and spacers, because the next size is the 38/720 case, and it would require 3 spacers to adapt down this far. This is not a certified combination as of now.

That being said, the 38/1320 casing is a really long stick and there exists only a single reload for it (J-510W). Imho it is more of a special interest item compared to the quite versatile 38/720 casing.

Reinhard

Jim, I got my 29 mm Special from the Wildman just before Christmas last year.

I briefly considered it, but I recently bought 29/120 and 29/180 cases from Ken. It would actually be a little cheaper to buy a 29/240 case.

I bought the Special first and then bought the smaller 180 Dr Rocket motor set later. The long 240 case didn't fit in my shorter rockets.

I like the Dr. Rocket cases and have them in 38 mm as well.

Unless I go crazy (L2) that should serve me well.

Back