Estes - (Astron) Apogee (K-5) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I never got into multistage because I didn't want to have to chase booster stages. I built this one about 1985 just for grins. It has been launched and survived, and in fact when I picked it up to take photos of it I found that it has engines in it ready to be launched again. The original Apogee had a clear payload section, I left that off.

IMG_2125b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Estes - (Astron) Apogee (K-5) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes - (Astron) Apogee (K-5) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: (Astron) Apogee: K-5
Estes: (Astron) Apogee II: K-5 or #1205
Thrustline: Apogee II: TACL-041

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes (Astron) Apogee II (K-5 or #1205) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Astron Apogee II Also known as: Aston Apogee, Astron Apogee 2, Apogee II, Apogee 2

NUMBER: K-5 or #1205

Introduced: 1963
Final Year: 1981
Designer: Bill Simon

Type: Sport, Payload, 2 Stage
Motor Mount: 1x18mm/1x18mm
Recovery: Tumble/Parachute
Stages: 2
Length: 12.2"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span:
Weight: 0.55 oz

Mfg. Description: High performance two stage rocket. The Astron Apogee is the first two stage kit designed specifically for payload research. Kit comes with large capacity transparent payload compartment! Now you can launch payloads to high altitudes and observe the condition of the payload without removing it from the rocket. Excellent for use with science fair projects. The Astron Apogee gives thrilling performance because of its superior aerodynamic form and extremely light weight - - only 1/2 ounce with booster, payload section and parachute in place. The Astron Apogee kit comes complete with parachute, payload section, and full instructions for assembly and flight. May be flown either with or without payload section. (Estes 1963 Catalog)

=====

The ultimate in two-stage performance and dependability. The new, improved Astron Apogee II incorporates revolutionary discoveries in multi-stage methods, features a transparent, see-through payload capsule -- lets you observe specimens without removing them from the rocket. Parachute recovered for soft landings. Complete with all parts and instructions (but no engines). (Estes 1964 Catalog)

=====

1966 Catalog text identical to 1964 Catalog
1967 Catalog text identical to 1964 Catalog
1968 Catalog text identical to 1964 Catalog

=====

The highest point in orbit is called "APOGEE", an appropriate name for this high flying, altitude reaching rocket.

This is the ultimate in two-stage performance and reliability. Featuring a see through payload capsule to let you observe specimens without removing them from the rocket, soft parachute landings for safe recoveries and revolutionary discoveries in multi-staging, the Astron Apogee II is perfect for research or experimental flights. Complete with all parts and instructions, but no engines. (Estes 1969 Catalog)

=====

This is the ultimate in two-stage performance and reliability. Featuring a see through payload capsule to let you observe specimens without removing them from the rocket, soft parachute landings for safe recoveries and revolutionary discoveries in multi-staging, the Astron Apogee II is perfect for research or experimental flights. Complete with all parts and instructions, but no engines. (Estes 1970 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1963%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1963 Catalog
estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1964%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1964 Catalog
estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1966%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1966 Catalog

estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1967 Catalog
estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1968 Catalog
estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1969 Catalog

estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1970 Catalog
estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1971 Catalog
estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1972 Catalog

estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1973 Catalog
estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1975 Catalog
estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1977 Catalog

estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1981 Catalog

Face Card

estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-face%201.jpg
estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-face%201a.jpg
estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header

estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes (Astron) Apogee (K-5) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Astron Apogee Also known as: Aston Apogee, Astron Apogee 2, Apogee II, Apogee 2

NUMBER: K-5

Introduced: 1962
Final Year: 1963
Designer: Bill Simon

Type: Sport, Payload, 2 Stage
Recovery: Tumble/Parachute
Stages: 2
Length: 12.2"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span:
Weight: 0.55 oz

Mfg. Description: High performance two stage rocket. The Astron Apogee is the first two stage kit designed specifically for payload research. Kit comes with large capacity transparent payload compartment! Now you can launch payloads to high altitudes and observe the condition of the payload without removing it from the rocket. Excellent for use with science fair projects. The Astron Apogee gives thrilling performance because of its superior aerodynamic form and extremely light weight - - only 1/2 ounce with booster, payload section and parachute in place. The Astron Apogee kit comes complete with parachute, payload section, and full instructions for assembly and flight. May be flown either with or without payload section. (Estes 1963 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-apogee%20ii%20k5-1963%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1963 Catalog

Face Card

estes-apogee%20k5-face%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Thrustline Apogee II (TACL-041) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Apogee II Also known as:

NUMBER: TACL-041

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Payload, 2 Stage, Clone
Recovery: Tumble/Parachte
Stages:2
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Mine came as a throw in bird in an Ebay auction. At some point the nose cone and payload section were destroyed, so the owner built an art piece in place of them.

I finally flew it today on an A8-0/A8-5 combo.

Staged perfectly. The A8-5 carried the sustainer a lot higher than I expected, and took it out over US 27. I lost it, heard the ejection charge, then found it again as it fell quickly to the field.

Ejection charge stripped the screw eye from the balsa. I don't have to worry about the art piece anymore.:flyingpig:

Back