Tour de Deuce - Revamped!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, i'm going to do my best to get the Tour de Deuce project back on track! :)

Well, with your help that is :)

Here's the deal.
I have states that I know are done and have photo's posted.
I have states that I know are done but don't have photo's posted (and am not sure if I even have them available)
I have states that I *think* are done
I have states that I am unsure of.

I need everyones help to help me nail these things down. A lot (all?) of this info is in the old TRF db. If Troy could make the Tour de Deuce thread available that would be great (even if he could just email it to me - so long as it is readable in that format...)

Also, over the years I have suffered a few system glitches that have resulted in some lost email so I KNOW I am missing some TdD details.

For the new beginning, let's make this the NEW Tour de Deuce thread

I will add a few replies here with some of the details that I do have and I invite folks to respond here with any CONCRETE info that they have. If you know of a state that was completed, for example, provide the state, date and people/person who launched it (contact info would be great too - off line)

As soon as I start getting new information in I will update the web site and we will get this program back on track.

IMPORTANT: I am also looking for 1 or 2 volunteers to really take the bull by the horns, as it were, and help bring this project to completion. You would be taking on the role of Jason and Eugenio in coordinating the remaining states, moving the models along (keeping track of them) and scheduling future states. We have 10-17 states left. At one a month (not likely) we would finish some time in 2010 (Mass and NH would be the last 2 states)

Last year I had asked Jason Toft to provide me with the updated list of states and he did that. That was one of the emails that got nuked and I have not been able to reach him recently.

With that, here is what I have today (next few replies)

In order of completion, I have the following:

1. Florida Nov 8th
  2. New York Nov 15 2003
  3. Virginia Dec 2003
  4. Hawaii Dec 2003
  5. Tennessee Jan 2004
  6. Georgia Jan 2004
  7. Alabama Feb 2004 Greg Lane
  8. Mississippi Feb 2004 Bill Roberts
  9. Wisconsin March 2004 Jon Hatch
  10. Kentucky April 2004 Patrick Harvey
  11. Arizona April 2004 Derek Davis
  12. N. Carolina April 2004 Ken Parker
  13. S. Carolina May 2004 Randy Trotter
  14. Texas May 2004 Simon Crafts
  15. Missouri June 2004 Barry Harsh
  16. Iowa June 2004 Larry Vetter
  17. Vermont July 2004 Nick Esselman
  18. Minnesota July 2004 Jim Myers
  19. Oregon August 2004 Rocky Firth
  20. Montana Aug 2004 Steve Shannon
  21. Maine September 2004 Neil Thompson
  22. Washington October 2004 David Luders
  23. Nebraska Oct 2004 Andrew Wimmer
  24. Illinois Oct 2004 Steve M. Need Steve's last name
  25. California Nov 2004 Eric Williams
  26. Alaska Feb 2005 Vance Wonser(No Photo's Avail)
  27. Colorado July 2005 Don and Cathy Toft (No Photo's Avail)
  28. Michigan Oct 2005 Gordon Angelo (No photo's available
  29. Indiana I have listed as done but no date, no name, no photo's
  30. Maryland Oct 2006 Michael Meyers No photo's available
  31. Connecticut Nov 2006 Bob Allen No photo's available
  32. South Dakota No name or photo's
  33. North Dakota No name or photo's
  34. Pennsylvania No name or photo's
  35. New Jersey Bob Weiss (?) photo's on GSSS yahoo group
  36. Kansas No name or photo's

I know that other states have been completed. I am currently searching through my email to locate them (understand I managed 15 different email boxes and my main one sees about 100 valid messages a day - management is a bear and searches take forever... :) )

Any help with names/photo's from the above list will be greatly appreciated

Any help with identifying missing states from the above list, with names, contact info (preferably from the launching person themselves) and photos for them will be greatly appreciated.

Next is a list of states that have NOT launched (as near as I can tell)

jim

Last edited:
This is the list of states that I do not have any information on. I know for a fact that several are already done, but I am unable to locate the information.

Please help me trim this down

1. Arkansas
  2. Delaware
  3. Idaho (May have been done in conjunction with Wyoming - Any info folks?)
  4. Louisiana May already be done. Any info folks?
  5. Massachusetts (This will be the 2nd to last state)
  6. Nevada
  7. New Hampshire (This will be the LAST state)
  8. New Mexico
  9. Ohio
  10. Oklahoma
  11. Rhode Island
  12. Utah
  13. West Virginia
  14. Wyoming (May have been done in conjunction with Idaho- Any info folks?)

Updated based on information gathered from TRF V1. We're down to 14 states to go (may change) which should easily be done by 2010. It would be interesting to see if we could complete this by March of next year. If so I will arrange for the NH leg of the journey (last launch) to take place at NARCON :D

As we make corrections I will update this list (and the list in the previous reply) as well as the web site.

More info in the next reply

Last edited:
As of this time, to make things easier to get this project re-started, we are going to wipe the slate clean with regard to volunteers for states that have yet to participate.

IMPORTANT: At this time please do NOT volunteer for a state until we have a better handle on what the ACTUAL list of missing states is.

Once we have that settled we will put out a call for new volunteers.

The first thing we need to do is verify the current status. I will be trying to contact Jason again this weekend. If anyone is already in contact with Jason, please invite him here to help us out or have him contact me directly. As far as I am concerned, this is STILL Jason and Eugenio's project, but we must move on and if we can not get them back involved we will move on with new volunteers.

Understand, this is NO slight on either Jason nor Eugenio. This is a MASSIVE project and they have both done an incredible job with it. Other priorities have taken center stage for them and that is understood and not a problem. However, we still need to move forward :)

I will spend the next couple of weeks searching and collecting data with regard to the TdD and getting the web site updated again. Any help with the following will be greatly appreciated:
  • Names from any of the completed states shown without names
  • Contact information for everyone on the completed states list
  • Photo's or contact info for the holder of the photo's for any completed state not showing photo's
  • 1-2 volunteers to take over the managing of this project (I will continue maintaining the web site but don't have the time to coordinate the operations)
  • ENTHUSIASM! We need to get excited about this again :) Once we start knocking out states again that should be easy. What can we do to get us all fired up NOW??

When Jason and I last tried to re-fire this project I made the following offer, which still stands:

Over the next month I will begin the process of printing up the certificates for past launches. In many/most cases I will need verification of mailing addresses. I will also be printing up the range box stickers some time in April.

Once I have confirmed addresses and the items are printed up I will begin shipping them out with notification here.

IMPORTANT! Please respond with your comments/information here in this thread or send me an EMAIL. Please do NOT use the PM feature as my PM box will surely fill up too quickly...

That's it for now. Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.
jim

Last edited:
CT Photo. I knew I had one somewhere. The camera got trashed, and this was the only one I could recover.

deuce.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, no one from Ohio has ever said that Ohio was already done although there are many of us who have volunteered to do it. Say the word and we'll "git 'er done!"

This is the list of states that I do not have any information on. I know for a fact that several are already done, but I am unable to locate the information.

Please help me trim this down

1. Arkansas
  2. Delaware
  3. Idaho
  4. Kansas
  5. Louisiana
  6. Massachusetts (This will be the 2nd to last state)
  7. Nevada
  8. New Hampshire (This will be the LAST state)
  9. New Jersey
  10. New Mexico
  11. orth Dakota
  12. Ohio
  13. Oklahoma
  14. Pennsylvania
  15. Rhode Island
  16. South Dakota
  17. Utah
  18. West Virginia
  19. Wyoming

As we make corrections I will update this list (and the list in the previous reply) as well as the web site.

More info in the next reply

Jim,
I swore someone did both Idaho and Wyoming (on the same day, right on the border) a number of years ago. I thought Louisiana was done, too (I volunteered when I lived there, but someone already did it...)

Mike

Jim,
I swore someone did both Idaho and Wyoming (on the same day, right on the border) a number of years ago. I thought Louisiana was done, too (I volunteered when I lived there, but someone already did it...)

Mike

I agree, I recall that too now that you mention it. It will help me narrow my search parameters :)

jim

To the best of my knowledge, no one from Ohio has ever said that Ohio was already done although there are many of us who have volunteered to do it. Say the word and we'll "git 'er done!"

This is what we need! :) Thanks. I will be in touch!

jim

New Jersey was taken care of by the GSSS on June 28, 2008. Pictures are available on our Yahoo Group page at:

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/launchrack/photos/album/63367699/pic/list

n_a

n_a

n_a

Last edited:
I'm still out here, but as Jim said...other things have taken priority in my life as of recent.

If the new volunteers that are going to help coordinate need anything, please, just let me know, and I will do what I can to help.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
I'm still out here, but as Jim said...other things have taken priority in my life as of recent.

If the new volunteers that are going to help coordinate need anything, please, just let me know, and I will do what I can to help.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

Good to hear from you! :) I got the information you posted in the old TRF showing the status of states dated 12/1/08 I will take that as cannon.

Do you know of any states done after that date?

NOTE: I will be updating the list at the top of this thread shortly.

jim

Last edited:
Good stuff folks.

I have updated the lists (see near the top of this thread) of the status of the states.

We have 3 states in limbo (Idaho, Wyoming, & Louisiana) and we need to identify if they were actually done, and by whom (Jason, can you help with this?)

Also, Jason, do you have photo's for any of the states listed as done but without photo's? (hey, you poke yer head in here and I'm putting you to work, fella :) )

If those 3 states listed above *are* done that would put us down to 11 states.

As I mentioned in my edit in the status of the states, I would like to set a goal to finish the TdD by March of next year allowing me to host the final launch at NARCON 2010 :)

I will be doing some extensive searches today for photo's from various states. Any help is greatly appreciated.

jim

Whats the field size for NARCON 2010? waiver? I might be able to make it up with a tribute to the TDD.

Ben

Jim
Pa was done by me and Tripoli Pittsburgh April of 2008. Here is some pictures. My son and I are holding the sign

Picture 027.jpg

Picture 029.jpg

I flew them in Kansas at LDRS 2008 in August, and I have a couple photos...

Flight 1 and flight two pictures 1 and 2

I've still got the rockets for whoever wants them next. Glad the project's getting back on its feet!

Darwin May

. We have 10-17 states left. At one a month (not likely) we would finish some time in 2010 (Mass and NH would be the last 2 states)

It looks like 25 states got done in the first year, so it seems the 11-14 left is very possible. I hope names of flyers can be found for the states that have been flown but have gaps in the data.

Jim as for ENTHUSIASM!

I lost that right after the second double CATO!:mad:

Then spent a week rebuilding them!

Deuce1cato.JPG

Deuce2cato.JPG

Whats the field size for NARCON 2010? waiver? I might be able to make it up with a tribute to the TDD.

Ben

Ben,

VERY small... It would effectively be in the north end of Concord NH (capital city) so model rocketry only and even then, very limited in altitude...

Jim
Pa was done by me and Tripoli Pittsburgh April of 2008. Here is some pictures. My son and I are holding the sign

Very good! thank you for this update.

I flew them in Kansas at LDRS 2008 in August, and I have a couple photos...

Flight 1 and flight two pictures 1 and 2

I've still got the rockets for whoever wants them next. Glad the project's getting back on its feet!

Darwin May

Excellent also. This is the info I need. Thank you.

It looks like 25 states got done in the first year, so it seems the 11-14 left is very possible. I hope names of flyers can be found for the states that have been flown but have gaps in the data.

I couldn't agree more :) Hence setting that as a goal. If I can't get enough of the volunteers through TRF I will ping other forums as well as hit the NAR database for clubs in missing states.

Jim as for ENTHUSIASM!

I lost that right after the second double CATO!:mad:

Then spent a week rebuilding them!

Oh man, I remember that. THAT was painful! LOL

Jim,

If you are still looking for someone to get this back on track drop me a email at [email protected] I would be interested in doing this.

Scott, thank you. I will be in touch!

jim

This is the kind of excitement and enthusiasm I was talking about. :)

QUICK NOTE / REQUEST: Please use this thread or email for information, updates and requests. If folks use PM's my box is going to fill up quickly. Also, if the info is in a PM it is just another place I need to keep track of.

I will be making updates to the lists at the top of this thread later today and will try to get updates to the site during the week. I will keep everyone posted in this thread as to what updates have been made.

Oh, and thank you Darwin for verifying where the models are. Could you please send me an email so that I have your information in my TdD folder?

jim

Bob,

Were you the one doing the launch?

Also, I am not a member of that group. Could the author email me the photo's with permission to post on the TdD site?

Thank you for this info!
jim

That was me! Wow, I drop off the face of the forum for 8 months and then the very first post I read concerns me. It's like I never left. So what have you folks been up to, isn't there anything new? :D

Jim, you are more than welcome to the photos Bob posted above. I really enjoyed hosting the Tour last year. I'll try to track down some hi-res photos from that launch and email them out to you.

My Son and I did both North and South Dakota late summer 2007. I emailed you the story and all the pictures Jim.

Great to see this project moving again. I want my range-box stickers!

If Utah remains open I would gladly do it.

If Utah remains open I would gladly do it.

That's great! Jim, the Ohio guys (responded first) have been waiting for a while-why don't you have them contact Darwin May in Kansas and get this going again, then it can be on to UTAH!

Thank you for all the feedback (both here and via email). Not only is the information (and volunteerism) very helpful, but it also serves to keep ME fired up as well :)

This weekend (between kitting up lots of inventory and family obligations on Sunday) I will be doing 3 primary things:
  1. Bringing the web site as up to date as I can with the info that I currently have
  2. Verifying the states left to do against the list of volunteers I have received and get the two models moving again
  3. Figure out what is missing from the web site and try to identify who I need to see about filling those holes (names, photo's, etc)

I will be going through this thread as well as my email to gather a lot of this information up. Those of you who have responded here and/or via email may expect to hear from me again this weekend or during the week next week.

Keep watch! :)

jim

My Son and I did both North and South Dakota late summer 2007. I emailed you the story and all the pictures Jim.

Great to see this project moving again. I want my range-box stickers!

Todd,

I can not seem to locate the pictures. Do you still have them and can you email them to me?

Thank you much!
jim

Back