Estes - Optima (#2035) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After adding 3 BT-55 external pods the Augmented Optima is ready for her first test flight using 1 D12-5 core motor and 3- D12-0's in the outboard pods.

Woo-WEE Now that's the ticket! What a pretty flight and recovery...Flew it twice that day and she's seen more than 20 additional 4D flights since. Still flying strong after 21years.

I think if I had it to really do over I'd add a second D12 to the core making it a full 5 D12 cluster, but overall I really enjoy flying this model with the external pods and 4 motors.

I recently bought a box of misc model rocket stuff, not knowing much about what all was in it till got it home, other than that it included a couple Estes launchers and several finished rockets and several unbuilt kits. I was surprised to find this huge kit that was not started. I had dabbled in a few Estes kits as a kid and then again with my young boys (one has grown up to be a "rocket scientist" at The Center For Space Nuclear Research (CSNR) in Idaho Falls,ID), but since those days had lost track of everything. I wanted to get started in the hobby again and thought this would be a good way to start. I had no idea what this big rocket kit was till I searched "Optima" online and found the Rocketry Forum and read the posts about this Rocket. Sounds like it is something Special and would like to build it as such. I'm interested in the addition of the external engine pods and what I need to do to add them and get that "extra launch thrill" I'm reading about!

I recently bought a box of misc model rocket stuff, not knowing much about what all was in it till got it home, other than that it included a couple Estes launchers and several finished rockets and several unbuilt kits. I was surprised to find this huge kit that was not started. I had dabbled in a few Estes kits as a kid and then again with my young boys (one has grown up to be a "rocket scientist" at The Center For Space Nuclear Research (CSNR) in Idaho Falls,ID), but since those days had lost track of everything. I wanted to get started in the hobby again and thought this would be a good way to start. I had no idea what this big rocket kit was till I searched "Optima" online and found the Rocketry Forum and read the posts about this Rocket. Sounds like it is something Special and would like to build it as such. I'm interested in the addition of the external engine pods and what I need to do to add them and get that "extra launch thrill" I'm reading about!

Welcome to TRF it is always nice to see new members. :)

Inspired by K'tesh's Open Rocket files, I've created this: This one features a 29mm motor mount, dual deploy, 48 inches long, 2.56 MadCow tubes, and 5 ply birch laser cut fins. Primary construction complete, just have to fill spirals, fillet the fins, and finish. Eggtimer Quark equipped and EggFinder capable.

20150920_162013.jpg

Inspired by K'tesh's Open Rocket files, I've created this: This one features a 29mm motor mount, dual deploy, 48 inches long, 2.56 MadCow tubes, and 5 ply birch laser cut fins. Primary construction complete, just have to fill spirals, fillet the fins, and finish. Eggtimer Quark equipped and EggFinder capable.

Hi Banzai88,

That looks Great!

I'm glad to have inspired you. The Optima is a classic design... Mine is sitting less than 4 feet away from me right now. I'm seriously thinking about getting it finished (still in primer), thanks for the nudge to get mine done.

Now that I've got my L1, I'm thinking that a 38mm (or 54mm) version is needed.

BTW: I'd love to see your solution to the AV bays.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

BTW: I'd love to see your solution to the AV bays.

I used the basic MadCow av bay, assembled as per instructions. PVC pipe cap and standard terminal boards on each end. 3 rivets inline with the fin lines. PLENTY or room inside the av bay. I'll post some pics when I get home this evening.

20150922_062134.jpg20150922_062120.jpg

MadCow standard av bay, assembled as per instructions, but put in with 3 rivets inline with the fins. Altimeter sample holes are midline between the rivets to keep them in clean air. Push on-push off switch behind one of the sample holes. Nothing fancy. Originally I was going to have a switch band (hence the lines) but decided against it once I did a few pull tests. Just didn't seem like there was enough engagement. Ground testing soon.

Last edited:
K'tesh- I'd love to do a 54.... I wonder where the limit is on the fins :).

I open them in Windows Photo Viewer and rotate them there, before uploading. That seems to do the trick. Nice looking Optima, by the way.

1443915656892.jpg

Anyone ever see one done in blue/gray? Seen a bunch of yellow, but never the blue...

22037819376_30d69783f4_b.jpg

Awesome! I can't wait until I get mine up in the air! Same color scheme as yours.

I'm having trouble trying to determine the exact size of the "Optima" decal. Can anyone measure the original from the left edge of the "O" to the right edge of the "a"?

The scan I got from JimZ's site is showing it to be 15 3/4" which I don't think is correct, is it?

I'm having trouble trying to determine the exact size of the "Optima" decal. Can anyone measure the original from the left edge of the "O" to the right edge of the "a"?

The scan I got from JimZ's site is showing it to be 15 3/4" which I don't think is correct, is it?

The font is Bauhaus98 iirc not sure about the measurement.

Based on everything I could find it appears that the length is 3x the width of the body tube, so stock decal should be about 7.8" Which would be consistent with the scan on Jim Z's site at 600 dpi

I also read through a post from Initiator001 over on YORF about the Estes Pro Series History and that a modified Optima was most likely responsible for Estes getting interested in MPR. Interesting. Like those posters we all had of a Countach or Testarossa, some rockets just have a legendary status.

The first ones I got from stickershock were too small. So I measured this up and got a few sized to match. Almost 9" wide

6098406173_536cd5ac18_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back