Good Source for Small Disposable Measuring Cups

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
I'm doing some molding with a two part product, Aluminite.

I'm looking for a good place to lay in a supply of small plastic measuring cups graduated in milliliters.

I'd like to buy locally cuz I want 'em right away ;)

Anyone have some ideas about where to hunt them down?

Hobbytown USA has 'em. If they aren't located where the Alumilite is, they might be where the miscellaneous glues and supplies are, or they might be around the airbrush supplies. Same at any well stocked hobby store.

Sam Flax, or Binders, or other art supply store should have em.

They can also be found at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, but you may have to search for them. Look in any section where there are glues, paints, or molding materials.

Helpful thing also is that being polyproylene, after the resin kicks off, it peels out of the cup pretty easily, allowing it to be used again, if you want to be thrifty.

(slaps forehead) DUH!

After rooting around the trash can and finding one I threw out, the stuff peeled right out. . .

Thanks!

(slaps forehead) DUH!

After rooting around the trash can and finding one I threw out, the stuff peeled right out. . .

Thanks!

I'd still wipe it out with some rubbing alcohol, just to make sure you remove as much unhardened stuff that's hanging around the nooks and crannies.

Use the ketchup cups from Arby's. Just use a fine tipped marker and a stack of something like playing cards to mark all of the cups in the same spot to ensure accurate measurement. They are free.

DSCN5460.jpg

As someone else said your local pharmacy is the best place. I bought a package of 100 for less than $2.00. If you go to a hobby store you will pay hobby store prices for the same thing - unless of course you want to support your local hobby store and pay higher prices.

Great idea, but our local Arby's use paper, not plastic.

Also try McDonalds & Five Guys if you have them there... Or give me about a week and I'll send you a crapload for whatever shipping is!:D

unless of course you want to support your local hobby store and pay higher prices.

Jeeze, you make it sound like a "dirty" thing:D... We've had about 6 shops close down within about 20-30 miles from us in the past few years. In a little while a LHS will not be an option anymore:rolleyes:

Jeeze, you make it sound like a "dirty" thing:D... We've had about 6 shops close down within about 20-30 miles from us in the past few years. In a little while a LHS will not be an option anymore:rolleyes:
We have the same problem here - there was one good hobby shop that catered to RC mostly but had a decent selection of model rockets and motors. But is was the parts and supplies that I liked the most (balsa, aircraft ply, Dubro parts, etc.) that I will miss. And yes, I spent my money there trying to support them but to no avail...

Our regular pharmacies don't carry them around here but the specialty pharmacy/medical supply outfit does.

They are not graduated, but my wife eats a daily portion of the bacteria laden (the good kind) yogurt. I just throw the used ones in the dishwasher and keep a stack on hand for mixing epoxy or for holding/weighing lead shot.

Actually, our hobby store was cheaper than the walgreens.

Quizno's has peppers and pickles out by the drink station and these nice little cups to go along with them. I don't use them so much anymore because of the ridge at the bottom.

Instead I've found you can buy mix cups from thrift stores. The little rubbermaid storage containers work great and the epoxy pops right out.

If you need to do small measuring, stop by any pharmacy (I've had luck at Targets and Walmarts) and ask for an infant syringe medicine dispenser. You'll need two for mixing and extras if you use them for placing (don't ask for them all at once). Walmart had 2 sizes.

Gordon Food Service sells small plastic cups in a variety of sizes. You can get 100 of them for a couple of bucks. I use them for mixing epoxy.

I've found small cottage cheese, sour cream, margarine, etc containers are all worth keeping.

Those, and a digital scale, are my primary method of mixing epoxy -- I buy resin by the gallon, and many times, a full pump is more than I need.

-Kevin

I'm also a recycler. The little cups that single serving applesauce comes in are perfect.

Ditto with the aple sauce cups, and being a 'scale guy' I just happen to have a handy portable scale (a few oz capacity). works for me!

I also have a 5 ton crane scale, but that's a different story.. :D

I save the plastic caps from milk jugs or orange juice jugs for mixing epoxy or small quantities of paint. The caps are polypropylene and the epoxy won't bond to it. Found some graduated plastic medicine cups at a thrift shop.

I get the appetizer sampler at my local watering hole whenever my supply runs low. I get four different dips in 1 or 2 oz portion cups with covers, take 'em home & wash 'em out!

Back