Quantcast
Good Source for Small Disposable Measuring Cups
Missile Works Giveaway!

Good Source for Small Disposable Measuring Cups

I'm doing some molding with a two part product, Aluminite.

I'm looking for a good place to lay in a supply of small plastic measuring cups graduated in milliliters.

I'd like to buy locally cuz I want 'em right away

Anyone have some ideas about where to hunt them down?
    A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the twelfth floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

You might give your Pharmacy a shot.
    Kevin

TRA 2254
    NAR 58737

Huntsville Area Rocketry Association (NAR#403, TRA#80)
    Phoenix Missile Works (NAR#682, TRA#81)

Hobbytown USA has 'em. If they aren't located where the Alumilite is, they might be where the miscellaneous glues and supplies are, or they might be around the airbrush supplies. Same at any well stocked hobby store.

Sam Flax, or Binders, or other art supply store should have em.

They can also be found at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, but you may have to search for them. Look in any section where there are glues, paints, or molding materials.
    Roy Green
    nar12605
    Southern Area Rocketry

Quote Originally Posted by GuyNoir View Post
    I'm doing some molding with a two part product, Aluminite.

I'm looking for a good place to lay in a supply of small plastic measuring cups graduated in milliliters.
    Discount Rocketry has a pack of 100 one-ounce mixing cups for $2.25. They have oz. markings on one side and ml on the other:

https://www.discountrocketry.com/dis...9869275cc403af

It's the lowest price I've seen for them.

-- Roger

You may want to try this place. If I recall correctly, it's less than $1.50 for 100. Helpful thing also is that being polyproylene, after the resin kicks off, it peels out of the cup pretty easily, allowing it to be used again, if you want to be thrifty.

http://www.firstaidmonster.com/produ...oducts_id=2510

Alan
    Last edited by Rocket Al; 24th January 2009 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Al View Post
    Helpful thing also is that being polyproylene, after the resin kicks off, it peels out of the cup pretty easily, allowing it to be used again, if you want to be thrifty.
    (slaps forehead) DUH!

After rooting around the trash can and finding one I threw out, the stuff peeled right out. . .

Thanks!
    A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the twelfth floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyNoir View Post
    (slaps forehead) DUH!

After rooting around the trash can and finding one I threw out, the stuff peeled right out. . .

Thanks!
    I'd still wipe it out with some rubbing alcohol, just to make sure you remove as much unhardened stuff that's hanging around the nooks and crannies.
    Roy Green
    nar12605
    Southern Area Rocketry

Use the ketchup cups from Arby's. Just use a fine tipped marker and a stack of something like playing cards to mark all of the cups in the same spot to ensure accurate measurement. They are free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5460.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	563  

Quote Originally Posted by rokitflite View Post
    Use the ketchup cups from Arby's.
    Great idea, but our local Arby's use paper, not plastic.
    Kevin

TRA 2254
    NAR 58737

Huntsville Area Rocketry Association (NAR#403, TRA#80)
    Phoenix Missile Works (NAR#682, TRA#81)

As someone else said your local pharmacy is the best place. I bought a package of 100 for less than $2.00. If you go to a hobby store you will pay hobby store prices for the same thing - unless of course you want to support your local hobby store and pay higher prices.
    Bruce S.
    NAR #19730 L2
    TRA #11367 L2
    Vikings Rocket Society

Quote Originally Posted by Kaycee View Post
    Great idea, but our local Arby's use paper, not plastic.

Also try McDonalds & Five Guys if you have them there... Or give me about a week and I'll send you a crapload for whatever shipping is!

Quote Originally Posted by bsexton View Post
    unless of course you want to support your local hobby store and pay higher prices.

Jeeze, you make it sound like a "dirty" thing... We've had about 6 shops close down within about 20-30 miles from us in the past few years. In a little while a LHS will not be an option anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rokitflite View Post
    Jeeze, you make it sound like a "dirty" thing... We've had about 6 shops close down within about 20-30 miles from us in the past few years. In a little while a LHS will not be an option anymore
    We have the same problem here - there was one good hobby shop that catered to RC mostly but had a decent selection of model rockets and motors. But is was the parts and supplies that I liked the most (balsa, aircraft ply, Dubro parts, etc.) that I will miss. And yes, I spent my money there trying to support them but to no avail...
    Bruce S.
    NAR #19730 L2
    TRA #11367 L2
    Vikings Rocket Society

dollar general or Freds

Our regular pharmacies don't carry them around here but the specialty pharmacy/medical supply outfit does.

They are not graduated, but my wife eats a daily portion of the bacteria laden (the good kind) yogurt. I just throw the used ones in the dishwasher and keep a stack on hand for mixing epoxy or for holding/weighing lead shot.
    Blessings,

John
    NAR#87984

It can't be my second childhood, I haven't finished my first one yet.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

"If I were giving a young man advice as to how he might succeed in life, I would say to him, Pick out a good father and mother, and begin life in Ohio." - Wilbur Wright, January 10, 1910

My Blog
    Other stuff I write

Actually, our hobby store was cheaper than the walgreens.

Quizno's has peppers and pickles out by the drink station and these nice little cups to go along with them. I don't use them so much anymore because of the ridge at the bottom.

Instead I've found you can buy mix cups from thrift stores. The little rubbermaid storage containers work great and the epoxy pops right out.

If you need to do small measuring, stop by any pharmacy (I've had luck at Targets and Walmarts) and ask for an infant syringe medicine dispenser. You'll need two for mixing and extras if you use them for placing (don't ask for them all at once). Walmart had 2 sizes.

Gordon Food Service sells small plastic cups in a variety of sizes. You can get 100 of them for a couple of bucks. I use them for mixing epoxy.

troj is offline Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potentate of Perilous Pans TRF_ADMIN.png
    I've found small cottage cheese, sour cream, margarine, etc containers are all worth keeping.

Those, and a digital scale, are my primary method of mixing epoxy -- I buy resin by the gallon, and many times, a full pump is more than I need.

-Kevin

I'm also a recycler. The little cups that single serving applesauce comes in are perfect.

Ditto with the aple sauce cups, and being a 'scale guy' I just happen to have a handy portable scale (a few oz capacity). works for me!

I also have a 5 ton crane scale, but that's a different story..

I save the plastic caps from milk jugs or orange juice jugs for mixing epoxy or small quantities of paint. The caps are polypropylene and the epoxy won't bond to it. Found some graduated plastic medicine cups at a thrift shop.
    Bang-Bang Shoot 'Em Up Destiny! Bang-Bang Shoot 'Em Up To The Moon! Bang-Bang Shoot 'Em Up 1-2-3!

NAR 34590

1000's of cups

Yeah yeah see www.commonwealth.net/rocketstore

see our BUILDING MATERIALS section

I save the sauce cups that I get with Sushi takeout.
    "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"
    the Wizard of Oz

Member Oregon Rocketry and Eugene Rocketry

I get the appetizer sampler at my local watering hole whenever my supply runs low. I get four different dips in 1 or 2 oz portion cups with covers, take 'em home & wash 'em out!

Quote Originally Posted by jackman View Post
    I save the sauce cups that I get with Sushi takeout.
    Around here there's no sushi takeout within 500 miles. Maybe in Chicago or NY but not around here.
    Blessings,

John
    NAR#87984

It can't be my second childhood, I haven't finished my first one yet.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

"If I were giving a young man advice as to how he might succeed in life, I would say to him, Pick out a good father and mother, and begin life in Ohio." - Wilbur Wright, January 10, 1910

My Blog
    Other stuff I write