Estes Composite Motors - Coming Soon!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
Just seen on YORF:

attachment.php

:wave:

Greg

Last edited:
hmm, i wonder what made them enter the MPR market more than the E9 :O

either way great news, maybe my LHS will begin to carry composite motors since they seem to carry most everything estes has :O

hmm, looks like the molded cases are aerotech? i know those ejection caps anywhere though! :D

Last edited:
Very cool.

I have a feeling they'll be made for Estes by AT given the W, T and FJ propellant formulations.:wink:

Yep, I bet your right.

Good picks on the W & T formulations, since those are fairly easy to ignite. I have no personal experience with FJ's.

Greg

FJs seem as easy to light as T, and easier than W. Very much unlike the Js, which can be much more challenging.

If these motors are really aerotech motors, then why is Estes labeling them as theres? I wonder if there will be some advantage, like bein cheaper, more readily available.

It's very likely that they will be more visible than AT is to the average consumer, since Estes is just about the only brand most people know about for rocket motors. Hopefully, that'll drive volume up and prices down, but we'll have to see. I'm doubtful that they will ever be cheaper than AT reloads though.

(Still, this looks interesting, and I'm definitely curious to hear more)

hmm wonder when Estes will start offering rockets with 29mm mmts to match the motors...
I would imagine that having the Estes logo might entice more hobby shops to consider carrying them since the AT branded motors are a bit harder to find in the 'Great Plains' catalog.

The thread on YORF has some details of a new line of rockets as well. I can't see them in great detail on my phone, but they don't look bad.

If these motors are really aerotech motors, then why is Estes labeling them as theres? I wonder if there will be some advantage, like bein cheaper, more readily available.

its like kosdon by aerotech.

it allows companies that cannot either by volume of production, or equipment investment, not produce everything. Aerotech gets to sell stuff under another company's name, but still make lots of money, and the other company gets money for the namesake (i htink?)

also the brand recognition of estes is immense.

i wonder though, will estes have to come out with a new launch controller/pad? (12v and 1/4" respective)

hmm wonder when Estes will start offering rockets with 29mm mmts to match the motors...
I would imagine that having the Estes logo might entice more hobby shops to consider carrying them since the AT branded motors are a bit harder to find in the 'Great Plains' catalog.

For more info you can click on this link from YORF.

Here is a pic of the new Estes MPR offerings:

attachment.php

Greg

Even if this made by AT for Estes, it is still good for rocketry. The more motors sold, the better for rocketry. No estes has a stepping sone to larger rockets. Consider it like a gateway drug.

Hopefully, it will make MPR and HPR rocketry's population larger also. The higher our population is, the better. It will mean more products and competition in the product market eventually

Even if this made by AT for Estes, it is still good for rocketry. The more motors sold, the better for rocketry. No estes has a stepping sone to larger rockets. Consider it like a gateway drug.

Hopefully, it will make MPR and HPR rocketry's population larger also. The higher our population is, the better. It will mean more products and competition in the product market eventually

Great points! I think it's a "win/win" for the hobby.

I wonder what the chutes will be like on the MPR offerings?

Greg

or a easier warranty claims department?

The aerotech ignitor package says: for use with D to G composite motors. Does this mean that estes will have a D21?

I think these kits will be great for introducing clubs and schools to high power rocketry, almost every one I know has used Estes brand rockets at some point or another, or knows someone who did. When one says Aerotech, or Loc Precision, or Performance Hobbies their eyes glaze over. People implicitly trust Estes more than any other brand, fortunate or unfortunate for the hobby, that is what I have experienced.

I wonder what the Haz-Mat fee will be with shipping from China.
In the past, AT has supplied private label motors for PML, Rocket Vision and Apogee. I'm confident these will be made by AT with Estes labeling.

Hazmat fees will be the same as the AT version.

Bob

In the past, AT has supplied private label motors for PML, Rocket Vision and Apogee. I'm confident these will be made by AT with Estes labeling.

Hazmat fees will be the same as the AT version.

Bob

Twas a joke, actually...

Please recall that Estes has done something similar before, from 1997-1999 Estes marketed the "North Coast Rocketry By Estes" line of mid power rockets.

The rockets were great, the motor (just one type -- F62 -- two delays) was excellent, but they just didn't sell enough for Barry Tunick's taste.

One problem may have been the name, though the Estes logo was displayed nearby. The other may have been the old FAA notification requirement for models over 1 lb.

Both problems solved now, with packaging in the same colors/concept as the regular Estes line, and the removal of the notification requirement.

Motor variety is greater. Still don't know if AT is going to be making them, or if they're licensing the tech to Estes and selling them the supplies.
Don't know what it will take to "fill the channel", but since this is right in line with what was attempted with Enertek back in the late 80's, Gary probably has some idea of the numbers required, and knows his own capacities.

-----------------

What I hope is that this will boost the interest in E-G rockets that has been lagging at our launches. Everyone now seems to be jumping right from D12 and E9's to H's and I's.

That's an excellent question...

I would suspect a typo rather than a new motor.

In addition to the benefit of exposing more people to mid power rocketry, there's another upside as well, if our assumption is true.

Assuming that AeroTech is making the motors for Estes (sure looks like it, based on motor selection, and the cases), this also means additional cash flow through AeroTech. That, in turn, should lead to a stronger, healthier AeroTech, with more cash available for introducing new products to the market.

-Kevin

In addition to the benefit of exposing more people to mid power rocketry, there's another upside as well, if our assumption is true.

Assuming that AeroTech is making the motors for Estes (sure looks like it, based on motor selection, and the cases), this also means additional cash flow through AeroTech. That, in turn, should lead to a stronger, healthier AeroTech, with more cash available for introducing new products to the market.

-Kevin

To me this would be the most positive aspect of this. Especially if it leads to an expansion of the AT mid power line of reloadables.

Back