Fliskits - Borealis (FR008) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Heres a pretty easy build, Futuristic design Fun flying kit from Fliskits.
The MMX Flis Dead Ringer is a minimum dia (.281") x 8-5/8"long nifty little rocket. 3 ring fins with elegant support structures make for a good looking model as well.
Completed & painted Ewt for my version came out at 9.8g giving a LOWt of 10.9g after my usual heavy up and lengthening of the shockline and switching to a 1/2" x 12" yellow Teflon streamer/permanent wadding.
Very nice flying model, does tend to weathercock in breezes over 10mph still flys well.

Post copied with permission

Attachments

• MM 366uc01a_Flis Dead Ringer Parts & options_02-23-10.jpg
    MM 366uc01a_Flis Dead Ringer Parts & options_02-23-10.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 58
  • MM 366uc06a_.5inx12in Teflon& 36in90lb Kevlar_02-26-10.jpg
    MM 366uc06a_.5inx12in Teflon& 36in90lb Kevlar_02-26-10.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 59
  • MM 366uc10_MM Flis Dead Ringer_03-30-10.jpg
    MM 366uc10_MM Flis Dead Ringer_03-30-10.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 60
  • MM 366Lp01a_Flis Dead Ringer MMX on pad_03-20-10.JPG
    MM 366Lp01a_Flis Dead Ringer MMX on pad_03-20-10.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 60
  • MM 366Lp01b_Flis Dead Ringer MMX midFlt_03-20-10.JPG
    MM 366Lp01b_Flis Dead Ringer MMX midFlt_03-20-10.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited by a moderator:
2011-07-07%25252023.27.22.jpg

Here's mine. 6.3 grams w/o motor. Chrome monokote, black vinyl tape, valspar red, and red devil enamel white.

edit: Lets test inlining images....

2012-01-08-Dead-Ringer-0005-edit.jpg
Did that work? It did!!! Paper clip to the rescue! :cool:

Last edited:
I really like mine but I didn't get much use out of it.

It had one flight and lost the NC. I got a replacement but left it out in the SUV.

It was a cold night, as I recall. My stepson sneaked out and met up with some buddies to consume unauthorized beverages. Since it was cold, they decided to hide out in the Excursion. Half of my admittedly small MMX fleet was destroyed.:dark:

Now that I've gone looking, I can't seem to find the photos! :dark::dark:

Very cool to see there are more out there. As Jim has mentioned in other threads, he knows his rockets are out there somewhere! Mine was part of a rocketry extravaganza from my wife off my Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack wish list. I have the Mudwasp to do as well.

Here's my Dead Ringer - just finished it tonight.

I realize that a metalflake finish is not optimum for a micromaxx, but I like the way it turned out.

6819811938_6dcb9d0b6d_b.jpg

Welcome to the Fliskits Borealis (FR008) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Fliskits Borealis (FR008) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Fliskits: Dead Ringer: MX017
Fliskits: Borealis: FR008

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Fliskits Borealis (FR008) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
Fliskits

MODEL NAME: Borealis Also known as:

NUMBER: FR008

Introduced: 2007
Final Year:
Designer: Jim Flis

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 30.5"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span: 8.5"
Weight: 3.15 oz.

Mfg. Description: No significant text in 2010 Catalog

=====

Borealis. A beautiful display of dancing lights in the Northern sky, powered by the sun. Now also a beautiful ship powered by the interstellar debris left in the wake of the formation of suns.

The Borealis model rocket kit is the newest jewel of a kit that compliments a fleet of jewels from the folks at FlisKits.

Standing over 30" tall, her delicate mid-ship constructions and graceful tube fins create a look that is a first in this long lived sport. The Borealis will make your fleet of model rockets SHINE!
The features of this new kit are many and begins with the most unique set of laser cut parts ever offered. Including fins, centering rings and even parts for two alignment jigs this component packed set of parts give the Borealis her wondrous appearance. In addition to the laser cut parts, the Borealis also features:

Ducted Ejection: No recovery wadding needed! The mid-ship section, constructed from 3 thin tubes functions as a 14" long ejection baffle reaching all the way up to the forward parachute compartment.

Tube Fins: Not just any tube fins, but the largest ever offered in a model rocket kit, for incredible stability and a wonder look too!

Alignment Jigs: Two different jigs that help make a complex assembly a simple process.

Decals: A new form of peel-n-stick decals made from 2 mil vinyl providing vibrant colors and a very aggressive adhesive to keep them in place. Further, these stickers are contour cut to the edge of the decal color so no cutting is required. Historically modelers have dis-liked peel-n-stick decals, but we believe that this new style of material and printing process will change this opinion.

Looks: We can't sit back and ignore the physical appearance of this kit as a feature in and of itself. The stuff that interstellar dreams are made of, the Borealis is truly a thing of beauty. We think that you will agree. (Fliskits 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-borealis%20fr008-2010%20cat.jpg
2010 Catalog

fliskits-borealis%20fr008-2007%20web.jpg
2007 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Fliskits Dead Ringer (MX017) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
Fliskits

MODEL NAME: Dead Ringer Also known as:

NUMBER: MX017

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Jim Flis

Type: Exotic, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 8.63"
Diameter: 0.281"
Span: 3.05"
Weight:

Mfg. Description: More Micro to the MAXX fun! The newest addition to the FlisKits micro line of model rockets! Unique ring finned design for incredible flights and to spark your imagination! (FlisKits 2010 Catalog)

=====

We get many requests for micro down scales of many of our popular kits. This lead to the Diminutive Deuce and Petite Praetor, just to name two. One design that we have looked at long and hard was the Borealis. While it may be considered just too complex to do an accurate downscale of such a detailed model in the world of Micro to the MAXX, we came darned close with the Dead Ringer!

Boasting 3 large hoop fins, supported by laser cut fiber fins, the Dead Ringer is a marvel of engineering in miniature. While we don't duplicate the intricate ducting of the Borealis, the Dead Ringer certainly bears a resemblance with sweeping grace all her own.

Check out the photo's below to see how this model evolved into what you see before you. As micro models go, the Dead Ringer will be a trend-setter in your growing fleet of Micro to the MAXX (FlisKits 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-dead%20ringer%20mx017-2010%20cat.jpg
2010 Catalog

fliskits-dead%20ringer%20mx017-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
This Fliskits Dead Ringer flys great! It is is the complete opposite of the little plastic bricks others try to fly with the MMX motors. It'll do 75 feet or more and if you learn to roll the streamer around a tooth pick or a dental pick, you'll have no issue packing the streamer and getting it to deploy. It's a Dead Ringer for a crowd pleaser :p:eyeroll:

8625363395_9411c7e1e0_b.jpg

8626472656_7c0ab20a7c_b.jpg

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Back