Semi scale AGM-69A SRAM build...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastCargo

Reaction score
Figured I'd start a build thread.

Considering this was the missile my aircraft could carry back in the day, I was surprised that I hadn't found any reference here to anyone building a scratch version of it, though I can understand why now that I've worked on one.

Anyway, as of right now the missile isn't complete yet, but it's close enough to show its progress.

You can Google the missile, either "AGM-69" or "Short Range Attack Missile" or just click on the "SRAM" on my signature to get more information on it. In short, the missile was a solid fuel INS guided SEAD weapon to be used to blast through air defense sites on the way to strike targets in the event of a full scale nuclear conflict.

The design of the missile is fairly straightforward with a truncated parabolic cone at the aft end (after the fairing is dropped for flight on FB-111s) and an ogive nose nose cone. The 3 fins are simple trapezoids with a roughly diamond airfoil (real thing, not this model). Each fin has a small fairing it's attached to, with one of the fairings transitioning to a wiring 'canoe' that runs along the top of the missile.

In general body design, one is reminded of simply taking a V-2 body and putting it on a diet. The result is a very good looking body, but not a whole lot of body tube.

I decided to model this with a BT-60 because Semroc (love those guys) had a nice tail cone as well as a nose cone needed for this model. Also, it would serve as a proof of concept model if I decide to upscale.

While doing some evaluations on OpenRocket, I had entertained the idea of using a BT-50 'stuffer' tube all the way through, use 2 tail cones and a small BNC-50 sized nose cone that would match the curve of the tail cone. The problem of course, would be making sure the nose cone actually matches the larger part of the nose...not necessarily an easy proposition. In addition, a smaller nose cone means less room to add weight if I need to drill the nose cone. This was a very important consideration, because of the small fin area, and the relative size of the engine to the overall model size (ie weight fraction). In the end, I went with a large BNC-60 nose cone.

I also considered if this was going to be a 'standard' engine flier or could it use 23mm engines. Openrocket showed that a 'D' rocket wouldn't get much higher than a standard sized 'C' power rocket due to the additional weight of the engine requiring additional weight in the nose to keep the CG on the stable side of the CP. So I decided to keep it a standard power rocket.

I wondered if a 'through the tail cone' mounting would be stronger than gluing the fins directly to the balsa tail cone. Several folks reminded me that the joint will be stronger than the balsa, so the break will typically happen above the fairing line anyway. So I decided to build that way, with one slight change. Instead of carving a fairing, gluing the fin to the fairing, then the fin/fairing assembly to the tail cone, I made the fins longer to glue directly to the tail cone, and built up the fairing with small wedges on either side of the fin attached to the tail cone, and a small piece to fill the gap, with wood filler to smooth out the 'sandwich'. In theory, this should result in a stronger overall joint.

Onto the build:

Picture one shows the general overall parts needed for the main body. What you see is a spare Alpha III body tube, plus an Alpha III engine mount parts. Also, you see the nose and tail cones, plus the cut BT-60 and 50-60 centering ring. I wanted to use the centering ring to help center the BT-50 tube and protect the tail cone that will be in the BT-60.

Pictures 2 through 4 were taken after the initial assembly of the tail cone, BT-60, BT-50, and centering ring. You can see the tube just isn't very long...and in fact I had to trim it later.

IMG_3803 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_3804 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_3805 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_3806 (1280x960).jpg

Very nice...

I bought an extra "Canadian Arrow" lengthened V-2 kit for this very purpose... remaking it into a SRAM. I always thought the SRAM just had perfectly classical lines.

You're right though, in that the three fins are a bit on the small side and the thing wants a LOT of noseweight, especially when going with the 24mm motor mount and using the Canadian Arrow as a starting point. I've been playing around trying to figure out how much 'oversize' I can make the fins before it starts becoming objectionable, because standard size fins (I guess because it only uses three) really means you have to up the noseweight to get it stable... (at least that's what RockSim's been telling me).

Looking forward to seeing your build... OL JR :)

The next step was going to be fitting the nose cone on, then using wood filler on the whole nose cone/body tube/tail cone assembly. I notice for smaller/thinner body tube/balsa nose cone combos, that this method works well, in that it fills the body tube seam quite nicely, as well as reduces the small 'swell' at the base that most balsa nose cones seem to have (once the whole assembly is sanded as a unit). Though this causes the nose cone to 'stick' to the BT, that is easily fixed by inserting a long dowel through the bottom and giving it a quick tap to loosen the nose cone, then doing the small 'crush' at the NC shoulder with the BT to smooth out the BT end and NC shoulder.

Anyway, as I was test fitting the nose cone, I noticed it didn't seem to look right. Doing some measuring, I realized the nose cone was about an inch shorter than what was specified on the Semroc website (and on the bag the nose cone came in). I got in contact with Semroc, where they noted the error (on the website) and gave me an option for another nose cone with the correct lengths. So I got one with the proper proportions...awesome customer service Semroc! But it meant I had to trim a bit off the BT to have the overall length remain the same.

Picture 1 shows the templates for the fins and fairing halfs I built using Openrocket, screen shots, and a graphics program.

Picture 2 shows the model after mostly complete assembly, filler application and sanding. The fairings ended up larger than I expected, and required more filler than I planned on. For an upscale, I think I'll make the fairings a complete unit and 'stack' the fin on verses the sandwich method I used for this model. Also, the upper 'canoe' has not been cut at the nose cone yet.

At this point, I cut the canoe and seperated the nose cone to finish the inner parts of the rocket, including the motor mount and shock cord anchor. This is where I was able to start evaluating the CG/CP relationship in the actual model vs the Openrocket sim.

IMG_3815 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_3822 (1280x960).jpg

OpenRocket had allowed me to put only about 1 oz of weight near the nose cone tip to get the CG/CP at a neutral point with a C6-5 engine. That would work with a plastic nose cone.

But, with a balsa nose cone...I can only drill so far without seriously weakening the nose cone (or actually destroying it). For this build, I knew I was going to have to get into the nose cone as much as possible to minimize how much weight I need to add.

In the end, I ended up drilling a 1/2 inch diameter hole about 5 inches deep...I was reluctant to drill any more than that.

The first picture shows the overall result. I was able to fit about 1.25 oz of sinkers and clay into the nose cone. My plan is to epoxy a disk of balsa over the end of the nose cone to make sure all the weight stays secure, then use 2 eyescrews in the 'donut'...since the nose is so heavy, I want to make sure there is redundancy of attachments.

As an additional consequence, I had to increase the chute size to 18 inches to keep the vertical velocity on recovery to 10 mph.

However, the good news is that the rocket passed the swing test, about one out of every 3 tries required starting in the proper direction first, but stayed stable once started.

The total weight of the rocket will require a B6-4 engine...and really, a C6-3/5 engine is what's needed to have a safe margin for ejection.

Pictures 2 and 3 are shots of the rocket with an initial layer of white paint after a layer of primer and the launch lugs in place at the locations of the actual missile hanging loops.

What's left is final nose finishing (mentioned eariler), final coat of white, the reddish brown markings (2 fuselage 'rings' and the fins) and decals (minimal amount) with clear coat.

FC

IMG_3824 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_3825 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_3826 (1280x960).jpg

"Tally ho", Fast cargo!

"Byrds away", Fast Cargo.

Wait a few seconds..........................

"Target Destroyed":D:D:D

Sound familiar???:D

Nice looking model! But if those loops are the launch lugs, isn't the top fin going to get in the way of the launch rod? Or are the lugs off to one side so the rod goes past the fin?

If it's that heavy, maybe use a B6-2 rather than a B6-4. Likewise, use a C6-3 rather than a C6-5.

The lugs are in fact off to one side to stay out of the way of the fin.

Also, using any B class engine is marginal with an apogee not much above 120 feet. It really is a C class only bird. Right now, the C6-3 tends to pop the chute a little before apogee, the C6-5 tends to pop the chute a little after apogee.

FC

Great looking build, FastCargo!!! I actually started a SRAM model way back when, but did not finish it due to the small fins. This was decades ago before RocSim and OpenRockets. I love the lug positions near where the actual support lugs would have been. For those who don't know, the actual missile lugs actually would swing back flush with the missile umbical tray to reduce drag (they would have probably burned off at Mach 4...).
I cross-trained from the AGM-28B Hound Dog to the SRAM in early 1975. I later checked out the first alert line of SRAM - an 8 pak - at Mather AFB as a young E-5. Worked with them at Wurtsmith AFB (MI) and at Carswell AFB here in Fort Worth until they were retired. Most histories say they were retired for the aging of the motors and W-69 warheads. Testing of the motors at that time gave them another 15 years of shelf life. I believe that Orbital Sciences obtained them for sounding rocket use.
I still have a folder of SRAM data and line drawings.

Have you simed the Quest C6-3? It has a lower thrust, which could be a big concern, which might make the delay better to eject at apogee.

Chas

Really?? That's something I could use...it's been darn near impossible to find ANY good line drawings (especially a solid 3-view) of the SRAM. And so far I have only found 1 picture of a 'live' round verses all the blue ringed Inert rounds or grainy video. The 3 view won't help this model...but an upscale...

Have you simed the Quest C6-3? It has a lower thrust, which could be a big concern, which might make the delay better to eject at apogee.

I haven't, but right now I have an absolute chest full of Estes C6-3s and 5s, so I tend to plan most flights of my heavier models around those...

FC

Really?? That's something I could use...it's been darn near impossible to find ANY good line drawings (especially a solid 3-view) of the SRAM. And so far I have only found 1 picture of a 'live' round verses all the blue ringed Inert rounds or grainy video. The 3 view won't help this model...but an upscale...

I haven't, but right now I have an absolute chest full of Estes C6-3s and 5s, so I tend to plan most flights of my heavier models around those...

FC

YES! If you could scan those in and post them in the scale forum that would be REALLY good!

Later! OL JR :)

Are those drawings properly "released" and OK to publish in the open?
If so, and if they are 11 x 36 or smaller, I can get them scanned for you. PM me and I'll give you my home and work numbers, maybe we can get this done.

I have been toying with working up a scale drawing of this thing too, for a long time. Just recently I went through another round of web research and came across a couple of significantly better photos that I think will let me pull off a fairly decent set of measurements. I can finally see that the nose shape looks like a Haack body (which would make sense for this missile). I will have to move this one up my list to take a closer look.

This particucular missile is strangely thin on openly published data. I find it hard to believe that the exterior is DoD classified, as these things are on open display at various locations. And I don't care what the guts look like or how they work, or how to copy the package. Seems odd that this missile has been so overlooked.

Let's fix that.

This particucular missile is strangely thin on openly published data. I find it hard to believe that the exterior is DoD classified, as these things are on open display at various locations. And I don't care what the guts look like or how they work, or how to copy the package. Seems odd that this missile has been so overlooked.

Ever since I started research on the SRAM, starting from a few years ago when I was working on a flight model for the B-1B, I've been perplexed at just how little info has been available, especially decent diagrams.

I found this:

https://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA014428

Which has some pretty darn detailed diagrams of the inner workings of the SRAM...yet no good 3-views...

FC

YES! If you could scan those in and post them in the scale forum that would be REALLY good!

Later! OL JR :)

YES! That would be REALLY, REALLY good. I was in the Air force twenty years and knew nothing about the SRAM. Now that I've read this thread , I now know next to nothing about the SRAM.

Last edited:
Considering this was the missile my aircraft could carry back in the day, I was surprised that I hadn't found any reference here to anyone building a scratch version of it, though I can understand why now that I've worked on one.

You can Google the missile, either "AGM-69" or "Short Range Attack Missile" or just click on the "SRAM" on my signature to get more information on it. In short, the missile was a solid fuel INS guided SEAD weapon to be used to blast through air defense sites on the way to strike targets in the event of a full scale nuclear conflict.

The design of the missile is fairly straightforward with a truncated parabolic cone at the aft end (after the fairing is dropped for flight on FB-111s) and an ogive nose nose cone. The 3 fins are simple trapezoids with a roughly diamond airfoil (real thing, not this model). Each fin has a small fairing it's attached to, with one of the fairings transitioning to a wiring 'canoe' that runs along the top of the missile.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing your information.

Last edited:
Great looking build, FastCargo!!! I actually started a SRAM model way back when, but did not finish it due to the small fins. This was decades ago before RocSim and OpenRockets. I love the lug positions near where the actual support lugs would have been. For those who don't know, the actual missile lugs actually would swing back flush with the missile umbical tray to reduce drag (they would have probably burned off at Mach 4...).
I cross-trained from the AGM-28B Hound Dog to the SRAM in early 1975. I later checked out the first alert line of SRAM - an 8 pak - at Mather AFB as a young E-5. Worked with them at Wurtsmith AFB (MI) and at Carswell AFB here in Fort Worth until they were retired. Most histories say they were retired for the aging of the motors and W-69 warheads. Testing of the motors at that time gave them another 15 years of shelf life. I believe that Orbital Sciences obtained them for sounding rocket use.

Chas

Small world... I sat alert with SRAMS at Carswell until it closed (stood-down alert). I'm not sure why there isn't more out there about the missile as it isn't a particularly unique item. The most interesting thing about it is the ablative coating on the missile that was "squishy" when you touched it. We called them "Nerf" missiles because they were soft like Nerf balls. It was a pretty interesting concept to have what essentially amounted to a bullet with a really big "boom" :cool:.

Superb job on the SRAM Fastcargo. I've been trying to work out the details on a AGM-129 and AGM-142 but can't seem to find the time. I guess I'm too busy looking for OPR bullets... look forward to reading a flight report.

Last edited:
I have scanned a few documents on the SRAM. I am afraid that they are copies for the most part and were done on older copiers available at the time. I have a couple of Aviation Week articles and the pictures, such as they are, came from "SRAM News" that was put out by Boeing.
The missile is 168" long (tailcone for external carry adds 22", 17.62" in diameter, and the umbilical raceway is 6" in width. I do not have the fin dimensions or anything on the two bottom fin supports.

The second document is a hand-drawing I did to mark the lettering. The third shows the missile on an FB-111 and the forward hardpoint for the ejector chock that stabilizes the missile.

Chas

SRAM Components.jpg

SRAM Lettering.jpg

SRAM Pics One.jpg

Last edited:
I tried to upload another page from "SRAM News", but the file size was too large. It was a really bad copy so all of the gray area probably added to the file size. They show an actual round and an inert training round. I have more, but I do not know if it would really be useful.

Jerry, I was at Carswell from '83 until it actully closed in '93. I ran the Weapons Checkout section for a while, but most of my time I was NCOIC of the Missile Analysis section keeping track of maintenance and testing for SRAM and ALCM. Did my share of SIT checks on both missiles. The alert pad area at what is now the Joint Reserve Base is home to AF Reserve C-130s.

Added: meant to mention that the brown areas (except for the bands indicating a actual motor) are a brown phenolic material. The white "squishy" covering is actually Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber. We had to use cork borers to remove the RTV over screwheads to take the guidence section cover off. Fresh RTV was reinstalled and sanded down after repairs. The rubber served as insulation due to the high speeds that the missile obtained during flight. Of course, it only had to work for five minutes or so.

Chas

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing all that info, there is a lot of interesting stuff there.

The biggest reason for keeping a tight lid on detailed SRAM data (I am guessing) is that they didn't want to "help" the Russkies design their own (the Kh-15/55). Otherwise, I can't see much of anything on the exterior that looks like it would be classified, restricted, or even proprietary.

And I remember those tailcones for this weapon--they were used when a SRAM was carried on the F-111 wing pylons.

FastCargo - nice job on the build! That thing looks fast just sitting on the table!

Ever since I started research on the SRAM, starting from a few years ago when I was working on a flight model for the B-1B, I've been perplexed at just how little info has been available, especially decent diagrams.

I found this:

https://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA014428

Which has some pretty darn detailed diagrams of the inner workings of the SRAM...yet no good 3-views...

FC

Could you post your OpenRocket file for us to look at?

Posted the SRAM OR file.

I haven't been having good luck painting the brown parts of the model. I've been real happy with the Valspar spray paints, the white especially has turned out deep, and makes the model feel like it has coat of plastic. Anyway, I decided to buy some Valspar paint in a small can to brush on the brown paint.

The paint didn't brush on well, it seems to paint fine on primer but not on gloss Valspar. I masked off the areas required and put on a thick enough coat and let dry. The problem is about 24 hours later when I went to peel the tape, it took most of the brushed on paint as well...the brown simply didn't adhere to the white that well. I ended up sanding the rest down, primered and painted white again. I think at this point, since the model is mainly a test for a larger version, I'm going to leave it the way it is...it's already pretty heavy, and more painting, sealing, etc, is just going to weigh it down.

Finished up the nose, it has dual screweyes with the balsa disk. Model still passes the swing test with a C6-5. It'll pretty much stay all white for the flights...we'll see how it goes. I'll post pics once she gets a flight or two.

I've got a BT-80 based version on OR...probably going to wait on that one for a bit until the smaller one flies.

FC

PS I wanted to say that I really like that line drawing. Knowing the text, proportions, etc will really help the upscale.

View attachment SRAM.ork

Great looking model!

Like others I remember working on the SRAM II, except it was for analysis on Thiokol's proposal for a double pulse motor. It was my understanding that our proposed double pulse motor was not accepted.

Master SGT,
I am the Missile and Rocket Curator, at the Hawthorne Ordnance Museum, Hawthorne Nevada.
We actually have a SRAM AGM-69A inert round that I am restoring.......and she is every bit the 2,200 lbs the actual round was.
Our body, less the silicone covering, is 100% accurate, intact and is in excellent condition other than needing some TLC and re-paint. Is there any chance you have markings for the WARSHOT round?
Please advise and Many thanks, Pete

Desert_Missile_Man,

Just in case you don't get a response from Master SGT, you may want to check with the folks at the USAF Armaments Museum at Eglin AFB in Florida. They had a SRAM on display the last time I was through there (several yrs ago) but I don't recall what the markings looked like, and I cannot find the photos I took at the time.

BTW, do you happen to have any "official" dimensioned drawings of the exterior contours, nose shape, fin dimensions, fin base dimensions, etc? Are they release-able?

You might want to think about trying an Aerotech D21-4/7T motor. It'll give much more thrust than an estes C but in the same size package- just for $7 more per pack:2:

I am afraid that what I posted back in May 2011 is the best data I still have on operational marking. The warshot payload sections did not have the SLTP training payload markings, but did have a phenolic tip for the forward impact fuze. I have been retired 20 years now and any information I had was shredded during many moves. They frowned on us using official technical orders... I know that they have an inert training round at the Museum of the Air Force near Wright-Patterson. I have some pictures and articles that I gleaned way back when, but most are too low res to be of any use in restoring a SRAM to the operational configuration. Powderburner has the right idea about contacting other Museums, such as the SAC Museum or even Boeing itself.
The only marking and measurements come from hand-written notes that I made. Sorry that I can not be more helpful.

Chas

Latest posts

Back