Estes - Sentinel (#1987) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another Downscale of a "Scale like" estes sport flying Missile is the Micro Maxx T3 3.5X Sentinel. Looking sorta like and air to air missile it was a nice build and super flyer.

It's even been used in an "open ping-Pong Ball Spot landing" contest recently just for fun. with a little "alteration to the ball it worked just fine LOL!

Post copied with permission

MM 358p04-sm_MM Sentinel (T3)_09-16-08.jpg

MM 358Lp01-sm_MM T3 Sentinel 1st Flt_11-16-08.JPG

MM 358Lp06a_MM Sentinel PingPong Ball SL on pad_09-19-09.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
EstesSentinel.jpg

EstesSentinel2.jpg

Estes Sentinel clone with Excelsior decals. I built the actual rocket in 2004-05, but only got around to doing the decals today. Great looking faux-scale bird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had one back in the day that seemed to pop off a fin with every flight. At least I still have the original nose cone to rebuild it someday.

Had one back in the day that seemed to pop off a fin with every flight. At least I still have the original nose cone to rebuild it someday.

:eek:Yeah, been there already. Before I did the decals, I had to do some cosmetic work on one of the fins that had been sprung on a previous flight several years earlier. Nice, clean break, so I just reglued, applied more fillets and some wood filler on the joints. Once it was sanded and primed, you'd never have noticed it.
We'll see how long that lasts.:wink:

Here's my Estes and my upscale version. I don't think I've had to replace a fin on the smaller one and the upscale was built with basswood through the wall to the motor mount and then epoxied so he's been really tough. Just refinished the upscale with a new paint job and vinyl decals from Mark at Stickershock.
SentinelReborndone.jpg

Just finished this dual-cluster clone, looking forward to trying it out. I wasn't sure about the decal coloring (a bit darker blue, almost purple) at first, but I have to say I like the results.

Sentinel_Aft_Small.jpg
Sentinel_small.jpg

I've been thinking about doing a 3" upscale with a 38mm MMT, but I'm not sure how the aft fins would hold up to super-sonic flight on a big 38mm motor (J-class).

Some openRocket files:
View attachment 3in Sentinel.ork
View attachment Sentinel cluster.ork

Is a scale model of an actual missile or does is just have that styling?

Edit: I found my answer

Last edited:
Welcome to the Estes Sentinel (#1987) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Sentinel (#1987) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Sentinel: #1987
MMWW: MM Sentinel (T3): #358
MMWW: MM Sentinel (T2+): #358

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Sentinel (#1987) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Sentinel Also known as:

NUMBER: #1987

Introduced: 1988
Final Year: 1994
Designer:

Type: Pseudo Ordnance
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 27.625"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span:
Weight: 2.7 oz

Mfg. Description: Air-to-air missile decor lends a scale appearance to this large model. Powerful lift-offs add realism and the model's weight requires a big 18" parachute for reliable recovery. (Estes 1988 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-sentinel%201987-1988%20cat.jpg
1988 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-sentinel%201987-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW (Estes) Sentinel (#358) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

MODEL NAME: MM Sentinel (T3 & T2+) Also known as:

NUMBER: #358

Introduced: 2008
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Pseudo Ordnance, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Editorial Note: The plan includes provisions for both a BT-3 version and a BT-2.5 version.

Advertising Liveries

mmww-(estes)%20sentinel%20358-plan.jpg
Plan Image

Face Card(s)

mmww-(estes)%20sentinel%20358-face.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

mmww-(estes)%20sentinel%20358-face.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back