Jupiter-C

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSWALLS

Reaction score
Found this gem wile looking for a decent Soyuz. I built it around a BT50, so I could use a D12-3 motor. Average altitude is 1,100 ft.

IMG_20110429_082331.jpg

Found this gem wile looking for a decent Soyuz. I built it around a BT50, so I could use a D12-3 motor. Average altitude is 1,100 ft.

I get jealous at the way paper seems to be have for others but ignores my wishes altogether!

It looks nice. I'd like to copy it to the gallery if I may.

JAL, you can put this in the gallery :D I found this guy here: https://www.friweb.hu/vad1939/eng/default.htm its 1:48 scale, and a fun build, I used a 1/8 dowel as a "cable conduit" to hide the seam on the rocket body, and 3/16 balsa for the fins since the original cardstock fins kept ripping off, or folding during launch.

Hey lazarus, after looking here and seeing Blades Soyuz I popped over to the site and downloaded it. Also looking at this one https://www.cardmodels-r.narod.ru/index-e.htm.
I've also built the Soyuz from the Lower Hudson Valley site. The Cardstock Soyuz build thread is on the old TRF before the crash.

It was designed by Ton Noteboom and he has it on his own site, which is here, along with a 1/96 version without the white frost.

The one you are looking at from Leo's site has a lot more details and is without the white frost.

It wasn't available when I built mine. I'm not sure how all the little "fiddly bits" would stand up to repeated launchings.

At our club launch yesterday, I had the nose separate from the rest of the model and it came in ballistic. The only damage was that the tower broke loose from the rest of the capsule but it looks to be easily repairable.

The

I used....... 3/16 balsa for the fins since the original cardstock fins kept ripping off, or folding during launch.
Time to get this thread back on track.

Can I ask what weight of cardstock you used for the fins.

I started building this model a while back but haven't done the fins yet. There is a center core that's double thick, with cardstock stringers covered by an outer skin. I was thinking that they would be strong enough based on other models I've done with similar construction.

If not, I think that making the stringers out of double thickness 110 lb stock or 1/32 balsa might be the way to go and still use the outer skins.

Time to get this thread back on track.

Can I ask what weight of cardstock you used for the fins.

I started building this model a while back but haven't done the fins yet. There is a center core that's double thick, with cardstock stringers covered by an outer skin. I was thinking that they would be strong enough based on other models I've done with similar construction.

If not, I think that making the stringers out of double thickness 110 lb stock or 1/32 balsa might be the way to go and still use the outer skins.

Bob,

I used 110 lb. cardstock to construct the original fins. However, using a C6-5 motor cardstock seemed to work real well. It wasnt until I used the D12-3 that I started running into problems with the cardstock fins. This was my first cardstock model, and I really wanted to take it to the limits :blush:

Hmmm... downloaded the zipped file (pdf content) for the printouts and the word doc for the instructions.

BUT, can't seem to open the Word .doc file. Anyone else have issues? Maybe it's my version of Word? Can anyone post or pm a pdf copy of the instructions?

Thanks.

... Bill

I would not open it . Nortin Blocked the site on my computer.

Shoot me a message with your email and I'll shoot you a clean copy of the Word doc; Noton Approved of course :wink:

Back