Gettng back into rockets - Launch Pad and Launch Controller recommendations please.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeahImJosh

Reaction score
It has been around 15 years or so when I was a child since I have touched a model rocket but I am ready to start over again in my adult life. I have a few questions about Launch Pads and Launch Controllers. I plan on starting off by making a few level 1 Estes rockets to get me going again. I have had a tendency to overdo things and can already see myself wanting to upscale models and get into larger engines than normal for launches. Should I just start off with a simple Estes launch kit that comes with the standard porta-pad and yellow launch controller or would I be better off getting something a little better that I may be able to use longer? I am not real sure hw big of a rocket the porta-pad ii can take and what the difference is in controllers but for around $20-$25 with a class 1 Estes rocket there launch system does not seem like a bad deal. I also have a 7 year old I am going to be introducing to the hobby so I am going to need something to launch the smaller models that he will be building (or helping me build). Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If you are sure that you will be going larger, take a look at the starter kit from www.valuerockets.com.

ValueRockets is an arm of Aerotech aimed at helping people make the transition into mid-power and up. The starter kit consists of the Interlock controller, the Mantis pad, and the Cheetah rocket (without decals). It's a huge value at $99.99 compared to the individual component prices.

I modified my Mantis with some PVC addons so that I can have 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4" rods all on the pad at the same time. It's good for rockets up to ~2lbs. I'd stay under the 2 lb mark, as there can be some rod whip with that heavy a rocket on a 1/4" rod.

Going larger than that, you're going to want to find a club to launch with, and most clubs will provide beefier equipment to handle larger rockets.

If you don't think you'll be up in the E-G power range, then this is overkill, and a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby or Michaels can get you an Estes starter kit for ~$15.

Cheers,
- Ken

If you have access to a Hobby Lobby they have 40% off coupons this week. Check their website for the coupon. Estes has a number of ready to fly packages that include thier little launch pad. They are nice to get started and to have if you just want to dash off to a local park and launch a few small rockets. However, as you have already surmised, they aren't very good for bigger stuff.

I built my own pad out of plywood. It has a few small standoffs that get the rockets up a few inches so I can put a blast deflector underneath them.

I'll be honest, I am not a fan of the Mantis pad. My buddy has one and broke the plastic clips that hold the legs in place when he launched his modified Initiator on an Aerotech G motor. He has abandoned it in favor of an X made with 2X4's a sheet metal for a blast deflector.

You really can't go wrong starting with an Estes launch set, especially if you can get it at a mass-marketer. Around here some Michael's craft stores carry Estes stuff and with one of their frequent 40% off coupons you can score a Taser Launch Set for $12.

I always replace the two-piece launch rod with a piece of 1/8 inch music wire from the K&S rack at the hobby store but that's it. The PortaPad is reasonably rugged and will handle most anything that is safe to fly off of a 1/8 inch by 3-foot launch rod.

For a 12V hand held launch controller, the Pratt Hobbies Full Boost is a nice choice.

You could go with an Estes "E" pad and controller....it takes 3/16" and 1/4" rods..you could probably get them both for $50 or thereabouts?

Depending on your tools, skills and scrap bits laying around, you might want to make your own launcher. Check out this thread for ideas:

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=44092

This can easily be scaled down for LPR/MPR rockets. As was mentioned above, music wire (stiff tempered steel) is highly recommended for 1/8" rods, and stainless steel works well for 3/16" rods - much stronger/stiffer than aluminum and much less in the way of corrosion issues than mild steel.

Often times you can find an old tripod at a yard sale or flea market for $5 - $10 bucks. I regularly see satellite TV dishes in the trash, the adjustment hardware on which make excellent tilt/swivel mounts.

As to the electronics, you can find components with screws terminals and/or leads and use small wire nuts if you don't know how to solder.

Unless you have a lot of scrap parts laying around that you can re-use you probably won't save any money, but you will wind up with a *much* better pad.

I agree with Rockets4Kids:
It's Always been my belief and observation that our Launchers & controllers should be at least as interesting as the Models we are flying. As it is these small ground support pieces that are what most people see while we are out retrievng our model.

With a little research here on TRF you should be able to find a ton of useful into and material for building your launcher. There are also plenty of schematics and wiring diagrams for simple effective controllers that anyone can assemble from common hardware & electric components picked up from your local sources.

I can assure you no matter which way you go, you'll be adding and/or changing the launch system as you hobby interest evolve so I'd start smallish but building with the knowledge you will be adding on larger and Heavier things in the future, Just let us know how we can help:) I still have the original little Tripod and electron beam controller I started with 40+ years ago, but haven't looked at any of them other then my everyday Launcher for years. Now i'm using a smaller everyday launcher but it has all the same features...just in micro scale. You'll be adding stuff all the time.. Rods, rails, towers, pistons, relays, and controller options. it's all part of the flying fun:)

Std 12in Tripod-d_3pic Page_12-02-09.jpg

HD Stl 19in TriPod-d_3pic launcher page_12-02-09.jpg

Solar Launcher-k1_15pic Everything Pg (128dpi)_11-23-05.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions eveyone. I ended up taking my son to Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon and picked up the Alpha III EX2 launch kit for him. It was only around $13 or so and included the Estes Porta-Pad II and the normal electronic beam controller. I figure that will do for at least a few months and it will get us off the ground much quicker than building or ordering a setup. I will probably eventually step up the pad and controller but for around $13 to get us going I just went with it. I also picked up a Estes Hornet for me to start off, which I have been working on here and there. It sure has been bringing back a lot of good memories with my father when I was a child.

From the information I have received on pads I will more than likely end up building my own rather than purchasing one. As far as controllers go I am still not sure which route I will end up going but I think the more I get into it and look around the forum I will be able to come to a good decision. Again, thank you for all of the information! I really do appreciate it! :D

I also got back into rocketry as a father. My first purchase was the Alpha III set (40% off, thank you very much). Everything is still going strong, even the A-III with some 20 launches on it, including a couple of C-powered flights.

The only changes I've made to the launch set include a 1-piece steel 36" launch rod and converting the controller to 12 volt gel cell operation - I highly recommend both upgrades.

Now I've got my eye on some cool mid-power stuff...

I am not real sure hw big of a rocket the porta-pad ii can take and what the difference is in controllers but for around $20-$25 with a class 1 Estes rocket there launch system does not seem like a bad deal.
With the legs pegged or weighed down and a 3/16" real steel rod, the basic Estes Porta-Pad can launch some fairly hefty rockets. Among the rockets I've launched from mine are the Rogue Aerospace Space Needle and my scratch-built Thunderbird missile. The pad is very portable; apart from the rods, the whole thing fits into the small rucksack which contains most of the rest of my flight kit, and is very quick to set up and pack away. If you get the "E" pad as well, you gain the option of the even heavier 1/4" rod, but I've never bothered.

If you're planning on launching anything bigger than a single D or E, especially clusters, it's worth either buying or building a better controller. That gets you longer wires (or a relay system) for larger motors, and a 12V battery to provide enough power for a cluster.

I started out in the real dark ages of Estes stuff. I've always built my own launch pads and I have 2 in my garage right now that are over 40 years old.

For small rockets it is relatively easy to make something- just some blocks of wood with a hole drilled for the launch rod. Clamp a clothespin on the launch rod to hold the rocket up a little bit. I made a larger one to use a longer 1/4" diameter rod to launch my old cluster rocket with, you can barely see it in this photograph from 1968.

img008b2.jpg

Of course you can get as elaborate as you want with the pad to incorporate metal exhaust deflectors and so forth.

For the launch controller we started with some extension cord wire and an old light switch from my house. Later I bought an Estes controller, the little black one with a continuity light, safety key and push button. We tried using it with 4 D-cell batteries, and later 8 D-cell batteries, but neither worked very well. When possible we would launch with a 12V car battery. You could go to HomeDepot and buy a long extension cord, some clips, and a toggle switch and be ready to go. The sky is the limit as to how elaborate you want to make something like this. I think for personal use you could build something with a little control box containing some re-chargeable NiMH or LiIon batteries and have a more powerful and more portable system than what we used to use.

hey pheonix, where you in dallas when you took that pic in march of 68?

That photo was taken just outside of Wichita Falls, TX.

Back in those days I was a poor student which is why I scrounged up some wire to build my homemade launch system.

I recently built a launch controller with an internal 12v gel cell battery. The battery I used was this one. I haven't used it for launching rockets yet, I usually launch with a club. But I have used it to test my homemade igniters, and it works very well. I use a float charger from Harbor Freight to charge it.

lcs_internal_battery2.jpg

lcs_internal_battery10.jpg

lcs_internal_battery14.jpg

I recently built a launch controller with an internal 12v gel cell battery.

If I had had one of those in 1968 it would have been so awesome!

I remember reading about one that G.Harry built in his book and thought that it was a piece of purely professional hardware, and you have improved on it.

If I had had one of those in 1968 it would have been so awesome!

I remember reading about one that G.Harry built in his book and thought that it was a piece of purely professional hardware, and you have improved on it.

Yeah, I wish I'd had one in 1972! That tired old 12v dry cell I had back then was just barely adequate.

I have to agree with a lot of the other posts in here. The first launch pad and controller my daughters and I had were from an Estes starter set (Flash). But it didn't take me long to decide I wanted to build my own. I can't really say I absolutely had to build my own and upgrade from the Estes controller and pad. Even with now launching some mid power rockets, I have only flown those at club launches. But I did completely enjoy the process of researching, designing, and building them. I did it as much for the experience of building them as anything else. And my daughters really like the home made controller better than the Estes one.

Starting with the Estes is perfect. But I think if you stick with rocketry for a length of time, you'll enjoy designing and building your own support equipment just as much as you enjoy building rockets. At least I did.

https://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-capacity-folding-sawhorse-46762.html

Something like this makes a good multi-rod launcher. I couldn't find the all-aluminum one I was looking for but with appropriate blast shields it would last for years. Blast shields can be made from steel plate , ablative ones made from floor leveler compound, abrasive blades for power tools.

I made a launch bar from a 1" x1" square tube with 4 holes drilled through, two 1/8th, one 3/16ths, and one 1/4" holes drilled through the tube. I then drilled and tapped 4 holes for bolts to screw into the rods to hold them. I welded two 1"x3"x1/8" pieces of flat steel aligned with each hole to serve as a blast plate. A 5/8ths hole accommodated a brass rod installed in a Pana-vice base for tilting.

I was taking photos today so I dug out these old launch pads. The big one dates back to 1967 or 1968, the small one might be even older.

The small one takes a standard 1/8" diameter rod. The rocket body hangs off the side of the pad so an exhaust deflector is not required. The larger one was built specifically for my clustered Astron Ranger and takes a 1/4" diameter rod. I used a rod about 5 or 6 feet long. I thought the exhaust deflector was necessary for the cluster of engines.

IMG_2108b.jpg

IMG_2109b.jpg

IMG_2111b.jpg

IMG_2112b.jpg

i think the blast deflector is always used to prevent fires. always use a blast deflector.

Last edited:
Here is the launch pad I made from a sawhorse. I got the sawhorse from Lowe's:

https://www.lowes.com/pd_77883-7259...whorse&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=sawhorse

That's what I was looking for and at $17.99 a bargan for a rocket launcher. I got two 1/8th, one 3/16th, and one 1/4 inch rods. I have a duplex(2 channel) launch control so I can fly 2 rockets per rack but I'm rebuilding the box to a 4 lead launch box with relay battery boxes at the pads. With the ease in pre-loading and reloading I can burn more motors even faster ;)

I like the tilters you have but I'm going to cheap out and use a "C" rail bolted to the top and just use the topbar as the blast plate. The right sized hole drilled from one side to the other with a setscrew for each rod to hold it in place. There can be a small problem with the clips shorting on the metal but some masking tape cures that :)

i think the blast deflector is always used to prevent fires. even i ,"Out Law Launcher" always use a blast deflector./QUOTE]

That's a good point. Where we were launching we usually set up on bare dirt, but other areas would be different. At the launch that I posted a photo of above, the pad was set up in the middle of a gravel road and the fields on both sides were mostly just dirt.

That's what I was looking for and at $17.99 a bargan for a rocket launcher. I got two 1/8th, one 3/16th, and one 1/4 inch rods. I have a duplex(2 channel) launch control so I can fly 2 rockets per rack but I'm rebuilding the box to a 4 lead launch box with relay battery boxes at the pads. With the ease in pre-loading and reloading I can burn more motors even faster ;)

I like the tilters you have but I'm going to cheap out and use a "C" rail bolted to the top and just use the topbar as the blast plate. The right sized hole drilled from one side to the other with a setscrew for each rod to hold it in place. There can be a small problem with the clips shorting on the metal but some masking tape cures that :)

Yeah, I'm real happy with the sawhorse. The only problem with it, is there are some pretty sharp edges underneath. But other than that, it works well. I had originally bought one of the yellow metal sawhorses, but it was just too heavy. I also have a two-pad launch controller that I built a couple of years ago. Everything works well together.

IMGP6762_edit.jpg

IMGP6780_edit.jpg

IMGP6824_edit.jpg

I built this for under 20 bucks...

launcher1.jpg

The launch bar swivels to allow launches into the wind if need be, I have since modified it with a couple of cinch-ties around the bottom section of the launch bar and the top brace...it's a little loose so when you swivel the bar, it limits the movement.

It can accommodate 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" launch rods.

That looks pretty good.

A couple of questions-
1) Is it heavy enough to work for rockets that would require that larger rod in the center? You might carry some bricks with you to weight down the legs.
2) The 2 main legs are long and flat, if you set it on uneven ground it will be hard to get them to set flat. You could add a 90 degree elbow on each end along with a short piece of pipe and an end plug, that way it sets on 4 individual points and it doesn't matter how flat the ground is in between these points.

I launched a 2.6" Phoenix missile off it today without problem.....that was unanchored. I have "U" shaped tent stakes that I can secure it to the ground if launching larger rockets like a Mean Machine or something. When using the stakes, it's not going anywhere. I did stake it to the ground today, and actually had a hard time getting it off the ground to pack it up. I launch at a field called 60 Acres....named so because it is literally 60 Acres of fields, so you can be doing a fair bit of walking with your gear. With that in mind, I purposely made the launch pad as light as possible and made it easy to break down so it all fits nicely into a duffle bag that I can sling over my shoulder. So no bricks. Originally, I was going to put end caps on the legs and fill them with sand for ballast, but they became to heavy so that idea got 86'ed

I have yet to find terrain that this launch pad did not sit properly in.

Last edited:
^ I've been meaning to launch my phoenix missile out there. Seems like every time I try there was something wrong ie incorrect install of motor hook.

I launched a 2.6" Phoenix missile off it today without problem.....that was unanchored. I have "U" shaped tent stakes that I can secure it to the ground if launching larger rockets like a Mean Machine or something.

Tent stakes sounds like a good idea, I didn't think about that. Certainly lighter than bricks.

Back