Estes - Geo Sat LV (#1977) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In the late 80's early 90's I got badly bitten by the Cluster bug. I was upscaling and clustering anything and everything I could get my hands on.
Estes GEO-Sat HLV just spoke to me that it really wanted to be an in-line 3 motor cluster.
With a tiny amount of extra work, converting this model for 3 motor flights took shape very quickly. Wanting to retain and use the molded plastic booster nozzles ment I would need to have the motor nozzles extend at least 3/8" to ensure not melting the plastic. I also added two 1/2" BT-20 nose plugs fitted with aft end 22ga stainless steel anti-burn discs epoxied in place. This has GREATLY extended the flying life of this and several other cluster converted models. the Inside of the BT-20 booster tubes above the motor stops was coated with medium CA then swabbed with a light coating of 5 minute epoxy. All the added material components, glues & adhesive weights were carefully logged as I went alone so I could add them and the mass of one of the extra motors to the model to being the C.G. back to very near the original point.
For the first "in Isolation" test fligth of the altered model I also increased the size of the chute from kit supplied 18" to a 24" with reinforced shroud line mylar tape dics. This proved to be unnecessary as the model does kick the empty booster motor casings and nearly drifted away on without a thermal at all. All additional flights have been made with a standard kits size 18" plastic para-sheet with a 3/4" spill hole added.
The first flight was just a WOW flight! Flying on 2 C6-0 boosters and a C6-5 in the central core of the model. HO MAN! nearly out of sight drifting a LONG way on the oversized chute. Does really well on 2- B6-0's/B6-6 combination, or 2- B6-0's with a C6-5... or can still fly on a C6-3 alone if on a very small field.
The same OLD Geo-Sat HLV is still flying today, doesn't look quite as nice as it did 20 some years ago, I have broken a fin on one hard landing but she still gets up there in a hurry whenever she gets a chance. If ya get the chance to try flying an in-line 3 motor cluster it's a lot of fun:)

021-sm_Geo-Sat HLV 3C_03-21-89.jpg

021-b1d-sm_Geo-Sat Cluster 3 Pic Flt_07-21-90.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one I can contribute to!

This was an enjoyable but painstaking build for me especially with the brittle decals. The result was worth it, though and it has flown well.

Geo-Sat-done-1.jpg

Geo-Sat-done-2.jpg

Geo-Sat-flight-1.jpg

GS-flt-1a.jpg

Nice! My favorite rocket from my first incarnation as a BAR in the mid-nineties. Mine would make a 'Bertha look fast off the pad. Loved those launches—they looked quite realistic. Of course, I always popped a fin or two everytime I took it out. Alas, it finally had a "splash-down" in the Cooper River and that was the last I saw it. I bid on one a while ago on Ebay, but it got a bit too rich for me near the end.

Again, real nice job. Nice to see one again.

Welcome to the Estes Geo Sat LV (#1977) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Geo Sat LV (#1977) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Geo Sat LV: #1977

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Geo Sat LV (#1977) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Geo Sat LV Also known as: GeoSat LV

NUMBER: #1977

Introduced: 1987
Final Year: 1990
Designer:

Type: Pseudo Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 28"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span:
Weight: 4.3 oz

Mfg. Description: Heavy-lift launch vehicle for large satellite payloads. Kit features simulated strap-on solid rocket boosters, see-through payload section with highly detailed visible satellite, and an 18" parachute for reliable recovery. Realistic decor and 2 feet 4 inches of rocket make lift-offs impressive. (Estes 1987 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-geo%20sat%20lv%201977-1987%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1987 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-geo%20sat%20lv%201977-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:

I tried long and hard to win an unbuilt kit via Ebay, but they were consistently priced too high for my budget. When this built veteran popped up I decided to take the chance on what I figured would be a stellar small field bird. Almost treed it on the first flight, but it lived to fly another day.

I tried long and hard to win an unbuilt kit via Ebay, but they were consistently priced too high for my budget. When this built veteran popped up I decided to take the chance on what I figured would be a stellar small field bird. Almost treed it on the first flight, but it lived to fly another day.

LUCKY!!! Nice looking one you caught there.

Back