Aerotech BT Material

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent Titan

Reaction score
Quick question- Does any body know the material that Aerotech uses for their BT's? How strong is it?

Aerotech uses kraft paper for their body tubes, just like LOC. If fact the 2.6" and 4" tubes will interchange with each other. The Aerotech couplers are also kraft paper as well.

Ah. I am already set on (Somebody) that I can get good prices for on actual Phenolic instead of paper.

AeroTech purchased tubing from the same supplier as LOC/Precision. I know the 2.6" diameter tubing has the same specs. as the LOC tubing.

Quick question- Does any body know the material that Aerotech uses for their BT's? How strong is it?
What strength do you need?

Are they exactly the same? Or are they stronger?

Ah. I am already set on (Somebody) that I can get good prices for on actual Phenolic instead of paper.

Phenolic tubing is brittle and will crack on a hard landing. That's why PML uses Quantum Tube (a plastic airframe) on most of their kits, and only recommends phenolic for mach busting or as a basis for fiberglassing. Fiberboard airframe can be as strong as phenolic but do not crack.

https://www.rocketmaterials.org/ shows the actual strengths of some airframes. Thicker airframes are stronger, and that is why fiberboard tubes are made in different thicknesses.

Bob

When I rebuilt my AT G-Force ,I had to use a piece of Loc tubing ,same stuff ,same size specs.

Phenolic, I would stay away from ,unless you plan on glassing.Loc tubing ,Quantum tubing and my favorite BlueTube are better choices (although application may be the determining factor)

LOC tubing is plenty strong.

Paul T

What about the "Phlexible Phenolic" that RAH provides? Is that just as bad?

It's still phenolic, same thing. But don't let anyone discourage you. phenolic tubing is fine. It's tends to be brittle, and will crack if it hits the ground too hard. if the aft centering ring is flush with the bottom of the tube, it turns out fine.

Braden

Okay. The first thing I am working on has a tailcone, which will help with the tail crushing.

It's still phenolic, same thing. But don't let anyone discourage you. phenolic tubing is fine. It's tends to be brittle, and will crack if it hits the ground too hard. if the aft centering ring is flush with the bottom of the tube, it turns out fine.

"Flexible" phenolic is not the same as standard phenolic -- it's much more forgiving. The tube can be flattened a lot more than standard phenolic, without cracking, but not as much as cardboard.

-Kevin

"Flexible" phenolic and vulcanized phenolic are much more durable than regular phenolic or cardboard. I have had RAH "Flexible" phenolic and vulcanized phenolic survive much faster falls than I have ever seen cardboard or Kraft paper. I would recommend their use over Aerotech's tubing.

"Flexible" phenolic is not the same as standard phenolic -- it's much more forgiving. The tube can be flattened a lot more than standard phenolic, without cracking, but not as much as cardboard.

-Kevin

Oh! thank you for correcting me! Here I am thinking it's all the same. That's good to know.

Braden

AeroTech purchased tubing from the same supplier as LOC/Precision. I know the 2.6" diameter tubing has the same specs. as the LOC tubing.

Where does Aerotech purchace their tubing anyway. Buying it straight from the manufacturers would probably be cheaper than buying it from Aerotch.

Back