38mm 4" build for my L1, The Certinator, thoughts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdondanville

Reaction score
OK, I am going to try and L1 certify and Southern Thunder in June. I am going to scratch build as several people have recommended, and so my inner engineer is geeking out. I have attached a RockSim file of what I think is a good airframe. Through the tube plywood fins on a LOC HP paper tube. LOC polystyrene NC. Going to split it and baffle the rear section and use the upper section as payload for the recovery equipment.

Thought this would be simple enough for an Lvl 1 launch, but still give me some versatility in the future. e.g. I could add an altimeter section in the middle and go dual deploy and the longer MMT will let me go all the way to 6 grains. (although I might have to glass the tube to do that. :wink:)

Oh the other consideration is that I have spent over a grand on rockets this year since I have become a BAR, so cost is a factor in my marriage. I think that I can get this built for about $60 including parts and wood I have lying around. I will have to beg to get the motor hardware and load. Hmm...Southern Thunder IS Fathers Day weekend. :wink:

What are your thoughts?

View attachment Certinator 3.rkt

After talking with you about Southern Thunder I myself was considering getting my L1 there this year. Not sure though... may have to wait a while. Funny how cost changes with Marriage isnt it....:D

Sounds like a good build! look forward to watching the progress!!

Back