SCALE - Patriot (MIM-104) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NCR Patriot (K-85 or #3512) Basic Information.

ncr.gif
North Coast Rocketry (NCR)

MODEL NAME: Patriot Also known as:

NUMBER: K-85 or #3512

Introduced: 1992
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 54.5"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 32 oz

Mfg. Description: Here's a model that everyone will recognize! You can own a 1/4 scale of this historic lifesaver or the Persian Gulf War. Based around our 4" diameter tube, this big bird stands 54.5" tall and weighs in at 32 oz. It's low drag design minimizes weathercocking, yet there is plenty of stability margin. Three decal sheets and die cut fins are included to make building a snap. You can fly off of small fields with the short delay F motors or go for broke with G power! The Patriot features a ripstop nylon 36" parachute and 1/4" diameter launch lugs. (NCR 1992 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

ncr-patriot%20k85-1992%20cat%20livery.jpg
1992 Catalog
ncr-patriot%20k85-1994%20cat%20livery.jpg
1994 Catalog
ncr-patriot%20k85-1996%20cat%20livery.jpg
1996 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
ill play

finished her up last night... still hasn't flown yet but possibly tomorrow or monday

20120908_165914.jpg

I never cared for the sticker decal that came with this kit, so I went with an Honest John look. It didn't have US ARMY lettering on Saturday, but it does now.

image-03.jpg

image-03.jpg

My Madcow 4" Samuel Adams "Brewer" Patriot just before its maiden flight on a CTI H225 for my L1 Cert! Around 1400' and recovered about 100yds from the pad.

Attachments

• image-3914047082.jpg
    image-3914047082.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
Madcow Patriot 2.6" Fiberglass (K-150) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Patriot 2.6" Fiberglass Also known as: 2.6" Patriot

NUMBER: K-150

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Length: 33.75"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 32 oz

Mfg. Description: ALL FIBERGLASS KIT
High Power Rocket
Pre-Slotted Fiberglass Airframe
Fiberglass Nose Cone
G10 Fins and Centering Rings
Cut Vinyl Decal
Nylon Shock Cord

The PATRIOT is the U.S. Army's most advanced air defense system. Capable of defeating both high performance aircraft and tactical ballistic missiles, it is the only operational air defense system that can shoot down attacking missiles. A PATRIOT battery (i.e., the basic firing unit) consists of a phased array radar, an engagement control station, computers, power generating equipment, and up to eight launchers, each of which holds four ready-to-fire missiles. There are about 90 soldiers assigned to a battery, but three soldiers in the engagement control station are the only personnel required to operate the battery in combat. The first combat use of PATRIOT occurred in Saudi Arabia and Israel during Operation Desert Storm. (Madcow 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

madcow-patriot%202.6fg%20k150-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

madcow-patriot%202.6fg%20k150-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

madcow-patriot%202.6fg%20k150-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Madcow Patriot 4" (K-134) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Patriot 4" Also known as: 4" Patriot

NUMBER: K-134

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x38mm or 1x54mm
Length: 52.5”
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 44 oz

Mfg. Description: High Power Rocket
Heavy Duty Plastic Nose Cone
1/4" Plywood Laser Cut Fins and Rings
Delrin Rail Buttons
Dual Deployment Capable
Cut Vinyl Decal
Pre-slotted Airframe
9/16" Tubular Nylon Shock Cord

The PATRIOT is the U.S. Army's most advanced air defense system. Capable of defeating both high performance aircraft and tactical ballistic missiles, it is the only operational air defense system that can shoot down attacking missiles. A PATRIOT battery (i.e., the basic firing unit) consists of a phased array radar, an engagement control station, computers, power generating equipment, and up to eight launchers, each of which holds four ready-to-fire missiles. There are about 90 soldiers assigned to a battery, but three soldiers in the engagement control station are the only personnel required to operate the battery in combat. The first combat use of PATRIOT occurred in Saudi Arabia and Israel during Operation Desert Storm. (Madcow 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

madcow-patriot%204%20k134-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

madcow-patriot%204%20k134-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

madcow-patriot%204%20k134-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Madcow Patriot 5.5" Fiberglass (K-171) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Patriot 5.5" Fiberglass Also known as: 4" Patriot

NUMBER: K-171

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length: 73”
Diameter: 5.5"
Span:
Weight: 17 lbs

Mfg. Description: ALL FIBERGLASS KIT
Scale Filament Wound Nose Cone
Metal Tip Nose Cone
Pre-Slotted Fiberglass Airframe
G10 Fins and Centering Rings (Madcow 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

madcow-patriot%205.5fg%20k171-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

madcow-patriot%205.5fg%20k171-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

madcow-patriot%205.5fg%20k171-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
I started out with a Patriot kit and a box of parts from Semroc, and this is what happened. Instead of three tubes and two couplers, I used a single piece of tube; inside is a Semroc baffle. The engine is retained with a handmade twistlock, which seems to work pretty well; I've launched it five times with no difficulty.

And of course, I never paint anything like I'm supposed to. :D I might have tried, if it weren't for the fact that the "decals" are nasty stickers. So I made my own decal and called it good.

This is one of my favorite fliers... with the baffle, turning it around is quick, and it always flies well.

attachment.php

patriotx.jpg

Last edited:
I had a question about the twist lock, so here are the details. I took a half inch piece of BT-50, a BT-50 to BT-5 centering ring (a "flat" one from a pack of Custom brand rings I picked up at a hobby shop), and a BT-50 to BT-20 centering ring (an "AR" type ring). The 5-50 ring got glued into the tube flush with the end. The 20-50 ring got cut into about five pieces, the fifth being tossed. I glued two pieces to opposite sides of the engine tube, then cut away engine tube between the ring-segments to allow space to grab the engine. I should mention that the engine tube was constructed to allow the entire engine to be pushed into it, flush with the end, rather than the usual 1/4" overhang. The remaining two pieces of centering ring were glued into the BT-50 retainer ring. Placement was finicky, and I recall having a bit of concern that the retainer might accidentally get glued to the engine tube, but it all worked out.

Later I added a bit of balsa to the engine tube as a twist stop. Makes it easier to tell if the retainer is installed correctly.

patriot-x-retainer.jpg

I just finished retrofitting my Patriot with a 24mm Tube and fiberglassed the whole thing while I was at it.:)

24mmM104complete 002.jpg

24mmM104complete 001.jpg

24mmM104complete 008.jpg

Last edited:
Can not believe after all. This. Time no one posted these. SCAM's full scale Patriot P 8000.image.jpgimage.jpg

Mine is the standard Estes Patriot with some upgrades.

View attachment 249898 View attachment 249899

The 18mm engine mount is now 24mm
The upper yellow tube became a payload section.
You can see the vent holes hidden at the top of the tunnel decals (probably way too large) for an altimeter.

The whole build is here:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/E Patriot

Most excellent!!!
I may borrow your Idea for the Payload Bay for my next BT-60 Patriot.

WP_002698.jpgWP_002699.jpg

My Patriot from the early '90s. I added the conduit along one side to make it more scale-like, per what the Pro Series model looked like.

Last edited:
Here she goes on a D12-3 without the Booster.

[video=youtube;4maIkJfQ2tQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maIkJfQ2tQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Finally got some pictures of my bird. Used it for my Jr L1 cert flight about 2 years ago, but I don't have any pictures from there or any of the subsequent flights. Took these at the NSL this past weekend, and I'm really happy about the launch one.
pkGwWTam.jpg

On the pad
dOD51Rbm.jpg

Coming off the pad (I love this one).
fnH32otm.jpg

When I found it, the nosecone somehow ended up inside the booster, which was a bit funny. Otherwise good flight though.

Jasper, I used the same kit for my L1 cert. Mine is a little overbuilt and will be used for my L2 cert as well. Went to about 600 feet on an H180W.

My Estes PSII Scion/Leviathan modded into a Patriot, using upscale dimensions from my original Estes BT-60 Patriot. The original I added the conduit and slightly modified the decals to look more scale, then with the PSII I had the decals done less scale to resemble a stock Estes BT-60 version. Go figure.

20160401_183424.jpg

20160401_182530.jpg

20160401_182606.jpg

The Estes Patriot was the first rocket I made coming back from a temporary job at the US Space and Rocket Center (Space Camp) in college.
Thanks to expanding gorilla glue and road trip damage, its fin alignment terrifies LCO's to this day.
SAM.jpgSAM.5.jpg
Since that was my first home built kit, I selected Madcow's 4" Patriot for Level 1 certification. Boy was I in for an education while learning how to mask and finish a large rocket. ~1360 ft on an H120, great certification flight.
Big SAM paint.jpgIMG_20161014_154401355.jpg

Back