SCALE - Black Brant II Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
I am so totally surprised nobody has entered a BB II !! I mean really.....

I`ll start the ball of wax melting....

Estes old kit, built 10 years ago ,and lost. I have 2 more of these in the bag ,waiting to be built.

Have the Cosmodrome BBII

Just bought the MadCow 4" DD kit.

C`mon man....lets see some REAL rockets!

Paul)T

phpDy9HZmAM.jpg

phpIKqmYbAM.jpg

phpKOYypbAM.jpg

phpnrU1zrAM.jpg

phprHZKPxAM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh...without pictures, its not a gallery. Its just an assortment of text!

Oh my goodness ,how awkward was that :eek:

Todd ,those voices have bad memories and A D D ;)

Paul T

Here's my Madcow 2.6 inch version. I was planning to add DD capability, mounting the altimeter bay in the nose, and launch on 38 mm I and J motors. I'm not sure what to do with this kit though because of the big goofy fins that are only 1/16 inch thick. Anything over a mild and I don't think these fins will hold up. The fiberglass BT, nose cone and tailcone are otherwise solid. Granted Madcow only list G and H motors for it, but to quote the Apogee site engine listings for this kit, on a CTI J530-15 Imax it "Smashes through the sound barrier at 1081 miles per hour". If built stock, that's a pretty outrageous claim.

I may cut new scale fins from 3/32", or 1/8" fiberglass, or just forget the big BB scale fins and cut more mach friendly fins and make something else out of it.

Mad Cow Black Brant II.jpg

What did you use for motor retention? The Black Brant is my favorite Sounding Rocket. Too bad I destroyed mine in September or it would be in this gallery as well.

What did you use for motor retention? The Black Brant is my favorite Sounding Rocket. Too bad I destroyed mine in September or it would be in this gallery as well.

In the pic above I just dry fit everything together. I have not proceeded with the build yet. I might fashion some kaplow clips. It looks like there is room.

Here is one I am working on from time to time. I have the tubes cut but I am waiting until it warms up outside to glass them. It is a mixture of parts, nosecone from Performance Rocketry and tail cone from Scotglas, 4" diameter with a 54mm motor mount.

DSC00796.JPG

Last edited:
Here is one I am working on from time to time. I have the tubes cut but I am waiting until it warms up outside to glass them. It is a mixture of parts, nosecone from Performance Rocketry and tail cone from Scotglas, 4" diameter with a 54mm motor mount.

Nice one man ! That`s going to be sweet when finished ,but as always ,those cold days ruin everything !

I have the MadCow 4" fiberglass kit waiting to be built ,but like you too cold,so I`ll wait until spring.

paul T

Nice one man ! That`s going to be sweet when finished ,but as always ,those cold days ruin everything !

I have the MadCow 4" fiberglass kit waiting to be built ,but like you too cold,so I`ll wait until spring.

paul T

My wife would kill me if I glassed in the house. She said it would be all right if I put a plastic drop cloth down in my computer / hobby room but I had better not get any on the floor. I took that as do it out side.

I have the parts ready for a small MPR version that I'll get going on as soon as I wrap up a few other projects. In my scale projects I spend far more time working out strategies for making various items to scale than I do actually building the rocket. I've been building a Sandhawk for 3 years!

Last edited:
Here is mine.

I used the nose from a Estes Sky Writer, I stripped the paint off then filled the seams with CA.

The boat tail is plastic from a for sale sign from the home improvement store.

Fins are balsa tapered with the air foil. These were sealed then glued in place.

The antennas are from sales tags that were glued in place then cut to length. They are painted with RC model paint to bite into the plastic so the paint won't flake off.

The decals were created in Word then printed on a ink jet.

I haven't flow it yet, but I figure it would be good for scale altitude contests.

Black Brant 2 b.jpg

Black Brant 2 a.jpg

Black Brant 2 c.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have drawing for your paint pattern?

Here is mine.

I used the nose from a Estes Sky Writer, I stripped the paint off then filled the seams with CA.

The boat tail is plastic from a for sale sigh from the home improvement store.

Fins are balsa tapered with the air foil. These were sealed then glued in place.

The antennas are from sales tags that were glued in place then cut to length. They are painted with RC model paint to bite into the plastic so the paint won't flake off.

I haven't flow it yet, but I figure it would be good for scale altitude contests.

I used Peter Always Rockets of World and the following photo. After I was done painting I looked at the photo and realized where the CARDE logo was on the photo for the checkered Black Brant, DUH!

I liked the looks of it so I have kept it. If I want to go for NAR scale I will build a new one.

The decal file is not in Word but is a JPEG.

Man I'm making mistakes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48113599@N04/4974845027/in/photostream/

bbiicheck.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my Cosmodrome Black Brant II I built a few years ago.Black Brant II 002.jpg

I have 2: the Estes version, and the Cosmodrome.

Here are some pics of my Cosmodrome BB II. I made it with a 38mm MMT, to give me more motor options.... launch pics from LDRS 29...

bb II.jpg

bbii on pad.jpg

bbII.jpg

Nice model

If I may ... you made one mistake the black decal on the white back ground is on upside down

Bobby

Here is mine.

The boat tail is plastic from a for sale sign from the home improvement store.

Here is my scratch built Black Brant 2b. On the altimeters I put the electronics on one side and the 3 batterys on the back side that way if the payload came in ballistic the batterys would not strip the components off of the circuit board .

I used 2 missile works extremes and a Magnetic apogee detector ( MAD ) for the electronics. The mad was for back up in case both of the altimeters didn't work. The detailing and paint was my first try so it needs some improvements.:D

Bobby Hamill

1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

flown 2 time so far I435T and a K1275R the K motor got her up to 5480 feet. All scratch built except nosecone and glassed airframe. Decal by papa tango . 2 missile works extreams and a M.A.D backup . I put the batterys on backside to prevent stripping components from circuit board in case of a ballistic impact. the roll pattern on airframe and fins are all painted on ( not decals ). the small circuit board at the bottom is a custom job by Dave Morey to turn on the electronics. screw in the screw turns on the switch.

Bobby H

1.jpg

2 missle works extreams and a MAD.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Back