Centuri - Magnum D Hornet (#5341) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean B

Reaction score
Here is my newly completed Hornet. Centuri released the Hornet as part of its Magnum-D line in 1980 or 1981, as far as I can tell. I built the Estes version that uses the 18mm motor mount.

I built this model according to the plans except that I used the Quest-style kevlar / elastic shock cord system attached to the motor mount, lengthened to about 42 inches. My Hornet is finished in Valspar paints with Future clear coating. As soon as the wind relents here in the Midwest, I hope to get some launches in.

I'm also working on the Semroc 24mm version. Gotta love those yellow and black rockets!

Centuri Hornet.jpg Hornet 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished this up tonight.(MMT needs to be slid in) Nice simple rocket of old. I did NOT like the decals. The black strip on bt ripped and so did the one around bottom of bt. The Hornet decal, the "T" had spots come off it just from the application. Looks good in witht the rest off the fleet.Painted Krylon-Sun Yellow and Kry.Gloss black.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• Hornet1.JPG
    Hornet1.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 71
A guy can never have too many Hornets. In addition to my Estes version, I just built this Semroc Magnum Hornet. It has a 24mm motor mount like the Centuri original. I papered the fins and rubbed some thin CA into the nose cone, since the balsa in this kit was pretty soft.

The paint is Rustoleum fluorescent yellow and Rustoleum black. Even though I painted over flat white, I'm not happy with the fluorescent color. It didn't cover evenly, and now it looks more like plain ol' yellow. I'm sure I need more practice.

I hope to fly this one soon. My Estes Hornet flies great on C6 motors, and I'd like to try a C11 and maybe a D12 in this one.

Semroc Hornet.jpg

Pretty jazzed when I found out you could clone a Centuri bird with all Estes parts. In fact, you can do a whole fleet of them! The Centuri Magnum Hornet was one of my first stabs at building the fleet.

CenturiMagnumHornetwithdecals.jpg

Welcome to the Centuri - Magnum D Hornet (#5341) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Magnum D Hornet (#5341) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Magnum D Hornet: #5341
Estes: Hornet: #3037
Semroc: Magnum Hornet: KV-69

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Magnum D Hornet (#5341) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Magnum D Hornet, Magnum Hornet

Introduced: 1980
Final Year: 1983
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 19.8"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 1.76 oz

Mfg. Description: SLEEK & SWIFT FLYER!
Your friends will marvel at how fast the sleek Hornet moves off the pad on Magnum-D power! Easy to build, the Hornet makes an excellent first "D" kit. Plastic nose cone, snappy decal, pre-cut balsa fins and long 90" streamer make Hornet fun to build and fly! (Centuri 1981 Catalog)

centuri-magnum%20d%20hornet-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1981 Catalog
centuri-magnum%20d%20hornet-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1982 Catalog

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Hornet (#3037) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

Hornet

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 19.25"
Diameter: 1.33"
Span:
Weight: 2.3 oz

Mfg. Description: Back by popular demand, the Hornet is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Launched with standard engines this time around, this rocket can reach heights of 775 feet.
A high quality wood nose cone, laser cut wood fins and waterslide decals mimic the original kit. Any changes Estes made only enhanced this classic rocket.
A Skill Level 1 kit, building is straight forward with easy to follow instructions. Plan an afternoon to build and few hours to let that paint dry and before you know it, you will be on the flying field! (Estes 2011 Web Ad)

estes-hornet-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc Magnum Hornet (KV-69) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

Magnum Hornet

KV-69

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Clone
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 19.8" (50.3 cm)
Diameter: 1.325" (3.4 cm)
Span: 5.7" (14.5 cm)
Weight: 1.7 oz (48.2 g)

Mfg. Description: 1980 Retro Repro (Semroc 2011 Web Ad)

semroc-magnum%20hornet-2011%20web%20liv.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
My son Ben (10 yo) just finished his first build. He did 95% of thebuild himself with dad doing the painting. Much to my dismay he did not want to use the stock paint scheme (love the black/yellow and decal) and instead chose copper and a dark metalic grey.

2012-03-09_11-18-37_434.jpg

2012-03-09_11-18-42_489.jpg

My son Ben (10 yo) just finished his first build. He did 95% of thebuild himself with dad doing the painting. Much to my dismay he did not want to use the stock paint scheme (love the black/yellow and decal) and instead chose copper and a dark metalic grey.

I think the classic scheme looks great but I like what Ben chose. Copper is my favorite metallic shade and he did things very tastefully.

My Semroc Magnum Green Hornet.
Body=Ace Hardware Flouresent Green w/Krylon clear coat.
NC=Dupli-Color Black w/ Minwax Lacquer Clear coat.
Fin=Krylon Gloss black
Hornet decal is from Estes Hornet decal set.

Attachments

• Magnum Hornet.JPG
    Magnum Hornet.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 88
rockets 007.jpgThis is my second MH....my first one just kinda floated away.....! Without a doubt one the best performing rockets ive ever launched!! Couldnt believe how high this thing went up on a D12-5!! Another all time favorite! Id build another one if this one "flys" away....in a HEARTBEAT!! All the other MH builds on here look SPECTACULAR! This gallary stuff is FUN!:)

My Semroc Hornet; a fun build. I added a boat tail to the model; just thought it gave it a bit more of a finished look.

18mm Estes Hornet that I bought from the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby. Never knew why until I went to apply the decal.

Back