Wildman Rocketry Giveaway!


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40
  1. #1

    Does anyone know where LDRS 31 and 32 will be held?

    I live in Michigan, and I usually go when they are in New York. But I'm tempted to go to Argonia. Does anyone know where the next one or two LDRS's will be? That will influence my decision to go. Thanks!!!!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    12,717
    Nope - the location of an LDRS is announced at the prior LDRS. So, LDRS 31 will be announced at LDRS 30, and 32 won't be announced until 31.

    That having been said, the Kloudbusters put on some of the best launches that I've been to - I would HIGHLY recommend going. They have a great field and an amazing club, and it's definitely worth the trip.

    NAR #84281 L3
    TRA #11233 L3

  3. #3
    Join Date
    23rd January 2009
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,202
    If the recent pattern holds, LDRS 31 will be somewhere along the east coast. That's assuming there is a club preparing a bid.

    There is also a rumored LDRS possibility for Black Rock coming soon.

    We have had quite a few flyers from the upper Midwest at Argonia LDRS's - it is unlikely LDRS will be held any closer to Michigan than Argonia. Summer is the best time for LDRS and that presents an insurmountable hurdle to most Midwestern clubs due to crops.

    I would expect the bid for the next LDRS will be submitted to the TRA BoD by early to mid-June. Who know, maybe it will leak out who is bidding around that time.

    --Lance.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    3,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Nim Chimpsky View Post
    I live in Michigan, and I usually go when they are in New York. But I'm tempted to go to Argonia. Does anyone know where the next one or two LDRS's will be? That will influence my decision to go. Thanks!!!!
    I don't know where you are in Michigan but Argonia (compared to LDRS28 in NY) is only 3 or 4 hour drive further for me. You could drive all the way to Argonia in one day - albeit a very looooong day - from most of southern MI. For the SW side of the state it would be about 12 hours and the Detroit area around 15 hours.

    I'd say a 50k waiver ought to be good enough reason to go. If you have the opportunity, do it. You won't regret going. I went to LDRS27 and hope to make it this year. I just gotta beg and plead with my employer to let me have the time off...

    -Dave
    Dave Brunsting | NAR 85879 | TRA 12369
    L1 - 11/04/07, Three Oaks, MI | L2 - 7/25/09, Muskegon, MI
    Michiana Rocketry
    Into The World of Dave

  5. #5
    troj's Avatar
    troj is offline Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potentate of Perilous Pans TRF_ADMIN.png
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    14,283
    Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    I don't know where you are in Michigan but Argonia (compared to LDRS28 in NY) is only 3 or 4 hour drive further for me. You could drive all the way to Argonia in one day - albeit a very looooong day - from most of southern MI. For the SW side of the state it would be about 12 hours and the Detroit area around 15 hours.
    I just drove 13.5 hours each way to SLI in Huntsville, and with a friend along, it's not a bad distance.

    -Kevin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    21st January 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by llickteig1 View Post
    If the recent pattern holds, LDRS 31 will be somewhere along the east coast. That's assuming there is a club preparing a bid.--Lance.
    There may appear to be a pattern but it goes to where ever the best bid is from. Many years there is only one bid submited. Kloudbusters has stepped up with bids on years when there was no bid submited prior to LDRS.

    For those who wonder why no east coast LDRS do not ask the BoD, ask your prefect, every time there has been a bid in the east it went there.

    It is interesting that there is always an air of secrecy to LDRS bids, no one ever comes out and announces they are doing it and publishes the facts of the bid, says to the members if they like it tell the BoD they want to go there. Many bids are not submited till the 11 hour and even the BoD has not had a chance to review. Strange.

    I was at LDRS8 have been to every one since and drove to all but 2 of them, 1st NY and last time in KS.

    Mark

  7. #7
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    3,127
    Quote Originally Posted by MClark View Post
    It is interesting that there is always an air of secrecy to LDRS bids,
    I'd keep it secret. I mean, do I really want to hear a bunch of whining online about how, "Whah whah I don't wanna have LDRS theeeeerrrreee. It's too far to drive. Whah whah it's going to be toooooo hoooooot. It's the wrong weekend. Blah blah blah whine whine whine."

    Keep it secret until TRA announces it because after the decision is made it's too late for any whining. Besides, I know that if you don't get the bid one year there is a good chance you'll get it the next because there are so few other bidders.
    Dave Brunsting | NAR 85879 | TRA 12369
    L1 - 11/04/07, Three Oaks, MI | L2 - 7/25/09, Muskegon, MI
    Michiana Rocketry
    Into The World of Dave

  8. #8
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Central Arizona
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    I'd keep it secret. I mean, do I really want to hear a bunch of whining online about how, "Whah whah I don't wanna have LDRS theeeeerrrreee. It's too far to drive. Whah whah it's going to be toooooo hoooooot. It's the wrong weekend. Blah blah blah whine whine whine."

    Keep it secret until TRA announces it because after the decision is made it's too late for any whining. Besides, I know that if you don't get the bid one year there is a good chance you'll get it the next because there are so few other bidders.
    People are going to complain after it is announced just as much as if it were posted that club XXXXX is bidding on it.

    Not sure if the BoD would take any of the whining in to consideration when they make their decision for the location. Maybe we need a new thread - Where & When do you want to see an LDRS Held!

    Look for it Here
    Last edited by rdbones; 21st April 2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added link to new thread

    "No-Chute" Roy, KF7WSH
    TRA #11283
    Level 3 and TAP Member

  9. #9
    Our prefecture has talked about it being nice to host LDRS, but we don't have the site for it. Our landowner starts to get nervous with the 150 people we have on a nice day now. Even if the landowner was receptive we just don't have the room for LDRS.

    Our club has tried to find an alternative site for larger events, but the only one we found the landowner wanted $10 million insurance. We also have problems with the southern part of our state having too much air traffic so waivers are maybe 10k.

  10. #10
    troj's Avatar
    troj is offline Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potentate of Perilous Pans TRF_ADMIN.png
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    14,283
    Quote Originally Posted by belfert View Post
    Our club has tried to find an alternative site for larger events, but the only one we found the landowner wanted $10 million insurance. We also have problems with the southern part of our state having too much air traffic so waivers are maybe 10k.
    I know others will disagree with me, but a 10K waiver for LDRS is acceptable. It will change the character of some of what gets flown, but that's not an issue, in my book.

    -Kevin

  11. #11
    I know that most of the rocket folks locally that go to LDRS on a somewhat routine basis won't even consider going to LDRS with a 10,000 foot waiver. I'm not sure why as most of the flights are under 10k anyhow. I think most of us are spoiled by going to BALLS every year or nearly every year.

    We never did find a suitable site for a large regional or national launch here in Minnesota even with only a 10k waiver. If we could find a site north of Minneapolis we could probably get closer to 20k as air traffic is less.

    I'm not sure I ever want to take a large motorhome out east during tourist season ever again after driving to Florida between Christmas and New Years. I saw more traffic between Chattanooga and Atlanta than I see between Minneapolis and Gerlach going out west for BALLS.

  12. #12
    troj's Avatar
    troj is offline Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potentate of Perilous Pans TRF_ADMIN.png
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    14,283
    Quote Originally Posted by belfert View Post
    I know that most of the rocket folks locally that go to LDRS on a somewhat routine basis won't even consider going to LDRS with a 10,000 foot waiver. I'm not sure why as most of the flights are under 10k anyhow. I think most of us are spoiled by going to BALLS every year or nearly every year.
    I'll be honest, I don't get the "I won't go, because the waiver isn't high enough" attitude.

    To me, LDRS is much more about the people than it is about the rockets.

    -Kevin

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by troj View Post
    I'll be honest, I don't get the "I won't go, because the waiver isn't high enough" attitude.

    To me, LDRS is much more about the people than it is about the rockets.

    -Kevin
    Your spot on Kevin. I am going to Argonia this year even if I end up taking the toyota carolla and sleeping in it. I want to go to see the field and meet people. I havent made it West of the mississippi for a launch and I want to.

    And I would think if you could get a 12k standing waiver (so you can *GET* to 10k with some buffer) and 15-18k call in each afternoon would ne acceptable. See if you can get a 11-2pm window every day to 18k
    Ben Ullman

    High Power rockets are my life!
    Largest EX motor to date N3200 Wicked White!!

    41,055Ns This year

  14. #14
    Join Date
    25th November 2009
    Location
    Boise,ID
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by llickteig1 View Post
    There is also a rumored LDRS possibility for Black Rock coming soon.
    YES YES YES

    I would definitely not miss that one!


    Braden
    Braden Carlson TRA #11923
    L1:"Zip It Up" Airfest 20 08/31/2014 CTI I345
    L2:Coming Soon
    L3:Coming Soon
    Rocketry youtube videos
    Starleopard.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    1st April 2011
    Location
    Utah / UROC
    Posts
    3,295
    Does LDRS ever visit the same place more than once?

    PLEASE COME TO UTAH.
    just look at our launch site...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4131.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	49026
    That is salt.
    TRA 14188
    L2

  16. #16
    Join Date
    21st January 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksrockets View Post
    Does LDRS ever visit the same place more than once?

    PLEASE COME TO UTAH.
    just look at our launch site...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4131.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	49026
    That is salt.
    Yes.
    More than once
    Hartsel, CO
    Black Rock, NV
    Argonia, KS
    Orangeburg, SC
    Lucerne, CA
    Amarillo, TX

  17. #17
    Join Date
    21st January 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksrockets View Post
    PLEASE COME TO UTAH.
    just look at our launch site...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4131.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	49026
    That is salt.
    I was at the LDRS at the salt flats. Yea it was hot and humid but it can be like that most places.
    My issue is the salt itself,. My truck was rusted all over the undercarriage, even the aluminum transmission case was covered with white corrosion. Every afternoon we went to the carwash and used the pressure washer clean off the salt. Some of the locals said they had a truck just to drive on the salt so they would not ruin there good car, that is great but flyers visiting the site do not have that luxury.
    Also at that launch the RV's had to be moved (once a day?) because just sitting there they were breaking through the hard surface and the black goo would be coming up risking being horribly mired.

    Mark

  18. #18
    Join Date
    1st April 2011
    Location
    Utah / UROC
    Posts
    3,295
    You must have been there after it had rained. When I was there it was not like that at all. The salt flats are sometimes covered in water so the ground might have been soft.
    TRA 14188
    L2

  19. #19
    Join Date
    21st January 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksrockets View Post
    You must have been there after it had rained. When I was there it was not like that at all. The salt flats are sometimes covered in water so the ground might have been soft.
    I was there for LDRS, Thursday > Sunday
    One evening there was a thunderstorm, rain and wind.

    Mark

  20. #20
    troj's Avatar
    troj is offline Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potentate of Perilous Pans TRF_ADMIN.png
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    14,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksrockets View Post
    Does LDRS ever visit the same place more than once?

    PLEASE COME TO UTAH.
    just look at our launch site...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4131.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	49026
    That is salt.
    If you think LDRS should be there, talk to the other members of your club, and see what they think. Then, if they agree, help put the bid together, and more importantly, help with the arrangements that need to be made in advance.

    -Kevin

  21. #21
    Join Date
    25th November 2009
    Location
    Boise,ID
    Posts
    3,959
    salt Flats are close to me, but I've heard of the horrible conditions that you all speak of. I'd like to see an OROC LDRS, they have a 60,000 foot waiver now.




    Braden
    Braden Carlson TRA #11923
    L1:"Zip It Up" Airfest 20 08/31/2014 CTI I345
    L2:Coming Soon
    L3:Coming Soon
    Rocketry youtube videos
    Starleopard.com

  22. #22
    Join Date
    1st April 2011
    Location
    Utah / UROC
    Posts
    3,295
    The conditions are nasty and the lanch there is called Hellfire just because of the conditions. Even with bad conditions you won't lose a rocket unless it goes far out of sight. The rocket doesn't have anything to land behind. Even though it's usually around 100 degrees it's one of the most amazing launch sites in my opinion.
    Plus it's a hundred degrees every day in Mexico now with 40% humidty so I'm used to it.
    TRA 14188
    L2

  23. #23
    Join Date
    21st January 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,011
    Potter, NY.
    less mud this time .

    Mark

  24. #24
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Location
    Branford, CT
    Posts
    1,975
    Quote Originally Posted by MClark View Post
    Potter, NY.
    less mud this time .

    Mark

    DING!............ We have a winner.

    Gary Tortora
    TRA 11898 L3
    ProLine Rocketry Sales & Support
    sales@prolinerocketry.com

    203.836.4014

    Ns Burned 2010 - 76,344
    Ns Burned 2011 - 93,595
    Ns Burned 2012 - 71,386
    Ns Burned 2013 - 63,463
    Ns Burned 2014 - 43,271

  25. #25
    I do think if the BOD got more than one bid they would consider location of the previous LDRSes. While perhaps not intentional, it does seem like LDRS rotates between east, central, and west pretty evenly. 2009 I believe was New York, 2010 was California, and now 2011 is Kansas.

    Just preparing a bid to hold LDRS is a lot of work. One needs to figure out all expenses in detail to figure out how much to charge flyers for an event that isn't happening for more than a year. If a club doesn't get the bid that is a lot of work for nothing.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    21st January 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,011

  27. #27
    Gosh I hope that changes 1 week either way. I am going to be on vacation that week.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    28th January 2009
    Location
    Andover, MA
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by MClark View Post
    that just got me really excited! Now the location just needs to be somewhere within reasonable driving distance and I am THERE!

    Matt
    Matt Vetere
    CMASS Member
    NAR 89554
    TRA 13726
    L1: LOC Phantom NERRF 5 H125
    L2: 3" Scratch Built Neon Dart LDRS 31 J285

    "The man who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been before." ~Albert Einstein

  29. #29
    Join Date
    21st January 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox15 View Post
    that just got me really excited! Now the location just needs to be somewhere within reasonable driving distance and I am THERE!

    Matt
    What is reasonable?
    I drove there last time and will do it next year.

    Mark

  30. #30
    Join Date
    28th January 2009
    Location
    Andover, MA
    Posts
    526
    I dont think I would drive across the country but I would consider a 10-12 hour drive if that were the case. Argonia is just over a days trip which is also doable as a two day trip but it is during my first week of school so I can't go.

    Matt

    Matt Vetere
    CMASS Member
    NAR 89554
    TRA 13726
    L1: LOC Phantom NERRF 5 H125
    L2: 3" Scratch Built Neon Dart LDRS 31 J285

    "The man who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been before." ~Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •