Quest Full Betty Build Problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGneissGuy

Reaction score
This is my first multi-stage build, so maybe it's me and I've just messed things up. But I'm worried about this kit. The first thing I noticed was that the two blue motor blocks were not in the kit. No big deal, I just used a hollowed out spent casing and cut off small rings. Worked quite nicely. Then I noticed that the ID of the body tube seems ever so slightly smaller than it should be. Neither the coupler nor the nose cone would fit without using force, and then both got stuck. I had to sand both extensively, as well as the inside of the body tube for the sustainer, quite a bit to get a smooth fit. OK, a lot of work, but it's done. Then I go to test the booster's fit into the sustainer with motors in the mounts, just out of curiosity to see how close they lined up. It won't go on. The two motors touch each other before the coupler is in the body tube more than a few mm.

I'm really hoping this is just me being new to staging and that maybe the booster motors (I tested using a sustainer motor in each mount) are actually shorter than the sustainer motors and all will be well other than my pride at not already knowing that. Because I've gone through the instructions for both mounts, and how they were to be installed into the body tubes numerous times to make sure I did it right, and they are correct based on the instructions. If the booster motors are indeed the same length, then I'm at a complete loss for what is wrong with my build.

Ideas? Advice?

Well the way I see it you have two choices. You could cut the hook off of the booster and try it like that with the motor hanging a little further out the back. Or rebuild the booster with the whole mount moved further back. Either way the motor location will be moved rearward. If you rebuild the booster section you can retain the hook. If you just cut off the hook it may burn out the mount when it stages.

I've never built the full betty so I'm not sure what could have caused this but I would assume that quest has built and tested this design without issues. If I had to guess I would think that a measurement got confused somewhere in the assembly of the sustainer motor mount.

I would call quest and let them know what you've run into. They might just send you another kit. I've heard of Estes doing just that, even in cases of assembly errors. You never if you don't try.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Perhaps someone who has already built this one will chime in with more/better info.

I had the same issue with my Full Betty stages fitting together, but I wasn't sure if I had follwed the directions correctly or just gone on autopilot since I was at a club building session and talking to folks while building.

I ended up slitting the booster body tube above the CR, in order to allow it to fit over the end of the upper stage motor.

kj

I had the same issue with my Full Betty stages fitting together, but I wasn't sure if I had follwed the directions correctly or just gone on autopilot since I was at a club building session and talking to folks while building.

I ended up slitting the booster body tube above the CR, in order to allow it to fit over the end of the upper stage motor.

kj
I'm not sure I understand what you did. I eventually sanded enough to get the coupler on the booster to fit in the sustainer body tube. But my problem is the two motors don't allow me to put the booster and sustainer together. Here's a rough drawing showing what I'm running into. Think body tubes, coupler, motor mounts and motors, in decreasing diameter. When I try to put them together the bottom of the sustainer motor comes in contact with the top of the booster motor before the coupler is more than a few millimeters into the sustainer body tube. That's why I asked if the booster motors were shorter (I've never bought one before so I'm hoping that's the case and I'm worrying over nothing).

I checked the instructions again this morning on my way out, and I built it the way it says. What I can measure, where the end of the motor mount is relative to the aft of each body tube, is accurate. One thing I thought was odd, but again, not having built a multi-stage before I don't know any different, is that they have you putting the motor block on the aft end of the booster motor mount. You insert the motor in from the top. If I reversed that, it might work. But that is how the instructions said to do it. I'll try to fit it together with a motor in the sustainer and not in the booster and see if it works. If it does, maybe I'll cut out the block on the booster and put it in the top???

fb.jpg

I botched my first BAR booster stage (it was a Mongoose) due to user error. Estes instructions were clear but let's just say my 5-year-old distracted me. :cry:

I was able to knock the parts off as the glue hadn't totally set. There was some cosmetic damage but not terrible. And it worked fine. Still does :cheers:

Sounds in your case that the instructions aren't up to snuff though. I agree. Call Quest and they will probably send you a new kit and give help.

Marc

I'll probably try calling Quest tomorrow. But a little minor surgery with my hobby knife and I've got it all fitting together. Thanks all. On a side note, so that I'm not just posting complaints, it's a really interesting look together. I plan on painting it as displayed on the packaging though the red I have is a lot darker.

I pulled out my Full Betty to take a look.

It looks like I originally had the booster motor block at the bottom of the booster tube (Estes style) so the booster motor can't get ejected at staging.

After I tried to get the stages together, I realized that had to go.

I still couldn't get the stages together so I put two slits in the booster motor tube, to allow it to slip over the sustainer motor and hook. Then I inserted a booster motor in until it stopped, and taped the motor to the booster.

Still not perfect, as you can see the unpainted coupler.

Also don't follow the dumb directions for painting. Do the red paint first then the black.

booster aft.jpg

booster fore.jpg

together.jpg

I pulled out my Full Betty to take a look.

It looks like I originally had the booster motor block at the bottom of the booster tube (Estes style) so the booster motor can't get ejected at staging.

After I tried to get the stages together, I realized that had to go.

I still couldn't get the stages together so I put two slits in the booster motor tube, to allow it to slip over the sustainer motor and hook. Then I inserted a booster motor in until it stopped, and taped the motor to the booster.

Still not perfect, as you can see the unpainted coupler.

Also don't follow the dumb directions for painting. Do the red paint first then the black.

That is exactly what I did to get mine to work. What's that old saying about great minds?

The modifications worked like a charm. It occurs to me that I haven't taken a picture of the finished product. But I did get a video of its first flight.

[YOUTUBE]YefeEPtA-ig[/YOUTUBE]

The only hitch was that the booster did not tumble, but descended and landed coupler down. With all the sanding I did to that so it would fit, it got wrinkled up pretty good. But it straightened out easily and should be good to go.

Back