s8e kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schke

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could purchase a dedicated s8e kit or plans? or do most people scratch build or convert a discus launched glider? I have rc experience and have launched an estes stratoblaster and the old hobby labs sr71

There aren't many RC/RG kit manufacturers out there, let alone any who create kits for FAI competition. Venus Model Rocketry has some unique competition-oriented kits, but I don't know if his Gizzard RG could be converted for RC control, and whether it would meet FAI requirements. Qualified Competition Rockets (QCR) also makes competition-oriented rocket glider kits that perhaps could be converted to RC.

R&R Model Aircraft is the only vendor that I know of who specializes in radio-controlled rocket gliders. They may have something that could be used as well.

The Edmonds Arcie-II, available from BMS, is another RCRG kit that is available. Again, I don't know how it would fit into FAI rules.

I would hazard a guess, though, that pretty much all competitors in FAI S8E scratch-build their own gliders.

It should be obvious from reading my previous post above that I have no experience with RCRGs or even with RC aircraft in general. Otherwise I would have mentioned another potential source: converting RC glider kits to rocket power. My guess is that you already know of more vendors of such kits than I do, so I'll stop right here. Good luck!

The last kit that was close to an S8 was the Cuda which still pop up on ebay from time to time.

Converting is a great place to start. My 1st S8 legal RCRG was a converted CRRCC Terminator HLG. https://charlesriverrc.org/articles/terminatorhlg/terminatorhlg.htm
Then I got a set of wings and scratch built my second one. I'm on my 3rd S8 model now.

Converting one of the modern DLG planes is pretty simple. Usually it involves adding a motor pod (US pilots like them above the wing, Europeans tend to favor the bottom) and maybe adjusting the tail feathers a bit to keep them out of the exhaust. In the RCGroups forum linked by seanmca79 is a set of instructions based on the Blue Arrow Venus but they can be used for almost any conversion.

The Top Sky kit in the works is pretty interesting.

kj

Last edited:
Converting one of the modern DLG planes is pretty simple. Usually it involves adding a motor pod (US pilots like them above the wing, Europeans tend to favor the bottom) and maybe adjusting the tail feathers a bit to keep them out of the exhast.
I concur. Until someone comes out with a new kit, it is a very good option. Another example of a conversion can be found here: Zuni build thread.

It may not be the best S8 competion model out there, but I wanted an S8 trainer that can be flown as an electric motor glider also. Early mock-up photos attached.

Regards,

FlyBack
aka: "straitup" on RC Groups

rt-front.jpg

Back