Creature Feature Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffgeraci

Reaction score
My job is microbiology, so I couldn't resist making a bacteria rocket. The flagella are wires painted black, and I HOPE they'll provide some stability. The body tube is a BT-55, and it's powered by an A10 motor (friction fit). I'll post a video of the launch on this thread. Thanks for lookin

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• 100_4743.jpg
    100_4743.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_4737.jpg
    100_4737.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_4741.jpg
    100_4741.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_4742.jpg
    100_4742.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished up my original Goony -
PIGASUS!

The build story is on my blog at:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/Pigasus

I built a Pigasus back in the mid 1970s after making a few of the Estes Goonybirds. That version was smaller, built around a BT-60.

This larger Pigasus flew at the N.E.F.A.R. launch in Bunnell, Florida on March 12.
I was concerned the goggles and swept ears would redirect the airflow and cause it to turn. I called for a heads up.
There was no problems, the flight was stable and true!

Pigasus C 003_WEB.jpg

Pigasus C 002_WEB.jpg

Pigasus C 005_WEB.jpg

And now a lot of people are having to do things they thought they'd never have to do ....

-- Roger

Surely there must be more flying menageries out there!

Hcmbanjo!
Gotta LOVE the PIGASUS LOL!!! Anykind and Anytime we have Flyin PIG's LOL!!!

Here's my When Pigs fly Offering "Dee Piggy". I'm a Big Fan of Flyin Critters.. Hey they are Odd-Rocs aren't they afterall.

Super KEWL bacteria Jeffg. What a great way to introduce kids to microbiology LOL! Hope if flys as well as it looks!

Guess my first Flying critter was a tribuite to Giving so much Blood to those Salt & fresh water Giant suckers after a visit to the Wallops Island Visitors Center and Mod-Roc Launch one Sunday in the late 80's.

Here are a couple from our stable. They both were designed and painted by my stable half, I did the gruntwork. The ghost had some stability issues (go figure) that have been fixed, next flight soon to come.

ghost.JPG

munkeebiz.JPG

Sure agree that Ghosts are a lot of fun Chadrog.
I have two, one flys in 18mm C6's the other on micro motors. both are a lot of fun.

Indeed holidays were made for oddrocs, Halloween especially! Love your ghosts, John. I'm not sure if this one qualifies as a creature, but it surely is odd.

weenie2.JPG

While solving mysteries of life. We tackle the ago old delima...Which came first the Egg or the Chicken? D12 powered Egg with Parachuting Chicken got great laughs until one very Cold February launch morning when a HUGE D12 Cato gave us Scrambled Egg and Fried Chicken:( but Like the Phoenix..the mighty Egg rose from the ashes to later fly again.

A dinosaur inspired build my daughter and I call StegoSoarus. We haven't had a chance to fly it, so maybe it shouldn't be in here yet. I'll make it extinct from the gallery if it crashes and burns.

Attachments

• Stegosoarus6.jpg
    Stegosoarus6.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Stegosoarus7.jpg
    Stegosoarus7.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 70
Indeed holidays were made for oddrocs, Halloween especially! Love your ghosts, John. I'm not sure if this one qualifies as a creature, but it surely is odd.

YOU BETCHA!
If that's NOT a CREATURE Feature I've never seen one LOL!!!!
a little disturbing but KEWL anyway;)

I went a little more conservative... with a BAT BG.

Edit: A couple other Bat related, Halloween inspired odd-rocs, Jack-O-Lantern, Pumpkin Stack, & Bat&Ball Scream.

Last edited:
I think one of my all time favorite Flyin Critters was built for a February Club Theme Valentine/Groundhog day build tagged "Love your GroundHog's". Here's my D12 powered creation; Basicly 3 fuzzy nap Roller covers, a Leg's Egg half and some misc. parts and pieces. Could not for the life of me get the darn chute to deploy but since if falls in a flat spin mode..He's lived to fly several other days LOL!!!
I roll remembering these flights What a HOOT LOL!!!!!

426a-sm_Love Your GroundHog_02-02-02.jpg

426b-sm_Love Your GroundHog 2 pic_02-02-02.jpg

426lp01h_GroundHog 1st Flight9pic pg_02-09-02.jpg

Last edited:
I think one of my all time favorite Flyin Critters was built for a February Club Theme Valentine/Groundhog day build tagged "Love your GroundHog's". Here's my D12 powered creation; Basicly 3 fuzzy nap Roller covers, a Leg's Egg half and some misc. parts and pieces. Could not for the life of me get the darn chute to deploy but since if falls in a flat spin mode..He's lived to fly several other days LOL!!!

John, you're out of control! My new favorite thread.

A good while back My daughter and I built her Holly Mackerel Flyin fish as a "Floatation Duration" entry in an early Maryland Funny meet. cut from SM Styrofoam it was fitted with an 18mm motor mount and internal chute tube but to get it under the then 1lb LOWt max we had to cut many 1" holes in the foam. all these holes were then covered with a mixture of tissue and a craft coating called MOD-Podge. while this did make the model waterproof it also showed every hole. so the Bass colored model became the HOLLY Mackerel LOL! Only motor that would lift it was a D21-4...

978a-sm_Holly Mackerel D21 Odd-Roc_03-14-92.jpg

Just couldn't let the thanksgiving holiday go without some sort of Mod-ODD-Roc offering.
so a Flyin Turkey had to be given a boost. Another D12 powered creature they all seem to have the same Gas problem propelling them skyward LOL!!!!

451o1a-sm_Turkey Trottin Wings On_10-29-06.jpg

451p1e_Turkey Trottin SwingTest 4 pic_10-31-06.jpg

452lp01e_Trukey Trottin 4pic 1st flt(300dpi)_11-18-06.jpg

A dinosaur inspired build my daughter and I call StegoSoarus. We haven't had a chance to fly it, so maybe it shouldn't be in here yet. I'll make it extinct from the gallery if it crashes and burns.

I've been following your thread and had planned on asking your contribution when you had a flight. This was not because there is any requirement for a flight but because I thought it gave the opportunity for more pics. Your project was actually my "inspiration" for creating this section.

I hope your StegoSoarus flies great but even if it crashes an burns, I hope you will not remove it. Seeing highly original ideas like yours was one of the prime motivations of creating the gallery section to begin with.

Thanks for the great work.

JAL

Last of my Holiday Creature Features is the St. Patricks Day Pod-O-Gold Odd-roc.
Being very Irish I couldn't decide what mystic part of the holiday I wanted to put forth so I combined a bunch of the Holiday Icons based with the legendary Pot-O-Gold guarded by the little people. Tis a fine bit of blarney we're a spreaden..don't cha know LOL!!!!

458a5_Pot-O-Gold Odd-Roc 2pic (128dpi)_03-10-07.jpg

458lp01e-sm_Pot-O-Gold 1st Flt OSL 4pic_03-24-07.jpg

Last edited:

OMG! I freakin laughed my head off just imaginging this thing flying through the air. I have a new found respect for you my friend! I LOVE IT!!!!
Hope you don't mind a little plagiarism [spelling] but I gotta make something like this. Paint rollers... INGENIUS!!! You just inspired me 110%! Now I can't wait to get home and get started. But do you have close-ups of the face and head?? How did you make it look so..., well,... cute? You're a riot man!:roll:

Hope you don't mind a little plagiarism [spelling] but I gotta make something like this. Paint rollers... INGENIUS!!! You just inspired me 110%! Now I can't wait to get home and get started. But do you have close-ups of the face and head?? How did you make it look so..., well,... cute? You're a riot man!:roll:

Never underestimate the versatility of a paint roller, there's many ways to fly them. This is my "Nike Joke", and my friend Joe's "Fuzzy-wuzzy". Two pint roller roc's from last year.

nike fuzzy.JPG

Of course, I have to submit our family of flying spiders ... represented by the father of the bunch, our Big Daddy Akavish ....

-- Roger

OMG! I freakin laughed my head off just imaginging this thing flying through the air. I have a new found respect for you my friend! I LOVE IT!!!!

LOL!!! Thanks Jeff... yes it is quite a HOOT to see fly! to be perfectly Honest I've seen several "Fuzzy" clad rocket bodies using Roller covers or Toilet paper rolls. I just took the idea in a slightly different direction. Grinn'in Groundhog's head is just the lower half of a large Legs egg I had laying around. I added a custom shoulder epoxied in with 100lb kevlar loop of attachment to the 1/4" shockcord. Add a couple Google eyes and cardboard ears then dry brush with a few tans, brown & black paint was all done by hand. Front and back claws are also Paper Pad back Cardboard painted and centered on styrofoam plugs covered with "trimmed" roller Fur.
Sorry this is the only single photo I kept of the model. I'll try to remember to dig him out of his borrow in the rocket shed for some additional close ups :blush:
Thanks again for the kind words

426a-sm_Love Your GroundHog_02-02-02.jpg

I've been following your thread and had planned on asking your contribution when you had a flight. This was not because there is any requirement for a flight but because I thought it gave the opportunity for more pics. Your project was actually my "inspiration" for creating this section.

I hope your StegoSoarus flies great but even if it crashes an burns, I hope you will not remove it. Seeing highly original ideas like yours was one of the prime motivations of creating the gallery section to begin with.

Thanks for the great work.

JAL

The StegoSoarus flies well!!! Unfortunately, I missed getting video of it. It's explained in its build thread. I did get another picture...showing the face my daughter gave it with a dark green Sharpie.

stegosoarus10.jpg

Inspired by Terry Pratchett, this is Rat Onna Stick, alias Dwarvish Fast Food Express Delivery

12rat_small.jpg

Back