Going back to 6th grade

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagreen

Reaction score
Well since I became a bar I have been thinking about going back to the place that started the addiction in the first place. I emailed my 6th grade teacher who is still at the school and still running a rocket club, and let him know that i would like to donate 3 kits to the club as a prize and suggested a spot landing competition closest 3 win. He promptly replied and loved the idea so we got to emailing I let him know that I was now flying hpr and it quickly turned into inviting me to come to Super Launch Saturday the first event that i flew a g engine 11 years ago:D. So now i am going to have to be coming up with a decent static display which should be easy just throw a few of my hpr on a table with some reload cases for size comparison and fly some of my fliskits mmx's. This area is rural and rocketry doesnt get much further than estes most dont know that there are other brands!!!

Now on to the kit selection for prizes. I plan on going with fliskits, but i want the kits to be in their skill level. They are 6th graders and most the kits from the pictures ive seen were e2x and a few skill 2's. Fliskits has that image that just sparks the kid in all of us so thats why i picked them. Now i need suggestions hopefully from parents or the guys who have worked with this age group before. I also dont want to go crazy with the cost.

So give me your advice and suggestions i only have til the 7th to be fully prepared. Thanks in advance.

It would depend on the intended motor size, but I would either get the Thing-a-ma-jig (18mm) or the Whatchamacallit (13mm).

One of the fastest downers for a young rocketeer is a poor flight due to mis-aligned fins. I've seen kids take a rocket that flew terribly and throw it directly into the trash, probably to never launch another rocket again.

The Thing-a-ma-jig and the Whatchamacallit are nearly impossible to screw up the fin cans on, so as long as the motor mount is fitted properly and the recovery gear is properly installed, you're pretty much guaranteed a decent flight (assuming the motor doesn't somehow fail).

Other good kits (for more advanced builders) are the Deuce's Wild and the Acme Spitfire, both of which take some skill to create. Those two are guaranteed to generate excitement among the kids, the DW for the cluster factor, and the Spitfire for the "that can't possibly fly" factor.

The most responses I've gotten at a launch was from my L1 attempt rocket, which was built from a crayon bank I bought form Toys 'r Us. Large, loud, low and slow seem to be the best for kids to watch and get enthusiastic about rocketry. The Cub Scouts that brought 15 identical e2x rockets to the NOVAAR launch recently looked bored out of their minds.

Have fun!

G.D.

I dont want to bet on their skill in fin alignment i would like to play the safe card and the triskellion, thingamajig and the bulls eye, and using this as an excuse to get a spitfire for myself to fly for them. They are in 6th grade and that was when i built my first mpr with the help of my dad so maybe the uffo, the pheord and the tumbleweed would be better suited and not insult their building skill and introduce some new ideas in what is a rocket. The price helps out alot too at only 10 bucks each.

I am also going to being setting up a static display of my rockets from my hpr down to my mmx and was thinking about setting up a power point to have running on my laptop of some pictures of rockets and some nar propaganda lol

The Thing-a-ma-Jig and Whatchamacallit would be great for such a give-away. The Triskelion and Bull's Eye would be the next best. You could also consider the Decaffeinator, even if just as a demo bird to fly at the event. A real KID magnet :)

Also, be sure to contact me via email before placing your order and remind me of what these are for (the prizes as well as anything you purchase for the purposes of using as a demo model) and I will quote you our educational discount price.

Good stuff! Keep us posted on how it all goes :)

jim

The Thing-a-ma-Jig and Whatchamacallit would be great for such a give-away. The Triskelion and Bull's Eye would be the next best. You could also consider the Decaffeinator, even if just as a demo bird to fly at the event. A real KID magnet :)

Also, be sure to contact me via email before placing your order and remind me of what these are for (the prizes as well as anything you purchase for the purposes of using as a demo model) and I will quote you our educational discount price.

Good stuff! Keep us posted on how it all goes :)

jim

Gotta love this hobby. I will definitely be in touch.

I am honestly more excited about this "Super Launch Saturday" than i was for thunderstruck and getting my level 1.

Great job helping kids to keep the interest going, most schools don't support any kind of Aero/science hobbys anymore..too bad most kids don't know the thrill of building and flying rockets,airplanes,or any kind of models/crafts. I had video games when growing up late 70's/early80's, but i guess i'm glad they were not as good as they are now, at the time i'd rather build/launch my rockets or build model cars than spend much time with video games ect. Even now, when most kids actually see a rocket launch, they are usually excited about it and start builing their own, but without schools involvement most will never even know...Good Luck

That's great that you're giving back, and neat that you can do so in the place that it all began for you.

You could also consider the Decaffeinator, even if just as a demo bird to fly at the event. A real KID magnet :)
jim

We don't have a Decaffeinator, but have taken the Espresso along to lauches and kids are all over that thing. It's often one we offer up for kids who don't have a rocket to launch...just bring along the electrical tape to patch her up. :)

Well i picked out the kits a bull's eye, overdrive, and a triskellion for the prize rockets. I also got a spitfire to build and fly as a demo. Thanks to Fliskits for the educational promotional pricing. Now just have to put together a little display to showcase some mpr and hpr.

It was the early 80s when I laid down the rockets, only to pick them up, a BAR, this year. I remember the LAST rocket I flew was an R2-D2 kit that flew on an Estes D engine. Can't remember the mfg, but I think it was Estes.

I remember her last flight well. It was a spectacular and utterly intentional CATO that NAR would not have approved of at all.
:D

I will definitely keep updates going. I have the spitfire ready to fly but is not yet painted, it was the most fun/ make you want to bang your head on the bench rocket ive built lol. Once i paint it ill post up some pictures on here.

Right now its t-2weeks till super launch saturday. I am working on a powerpoint of rocket launches to show not only launch photos with crazy contrails and smoky motors but show how the launches work showing the people and the social side of the hobby. Anyone with some photo's that you would be willing to let me borrow for a slideshow feel free to post them here, I would really appreciate it.

On top of the slideshow i am putting some touch up work on my high power rockets, as well as printing out some nar information for to finish off my "Big Rocket Experience" table.

The last and probably most exciting part of the day for me will be the spot landing competition. I have never done something like this before so thankfully my sister is an elementary ed major about to graduate. My main concern was how to give the prizes away to the three winners. I got three different kits so first question that came to mind was whether let the 1st place pick their prize then 2nd then 3rd... but talking to my sister she acted like we could be sitting there for a while if they are indecisive lol. So i decided to premark the kits, 1st-Bullseye, 2nd Triskellion, and 3rd Overdrive; if they decide to trade amongst themselves afterwards they can and the event will keep moving smoothly.

Talking to the teacher he mentioned another good thing about a spot landing competition that i hadnt thought of. He said that letting the kids measure their landing distances to the target would reinforce part of the lesson plan, wow... i just suggested it for ease, being old and reading/using a tape measure i forgot that at one point i had to learn how to measure.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions of little things that will make it better feel free to chime in.

Wow gagreen it soumds like you've really thought this through and have come up with a great plan. I know the kids will have a good time and I bet you will to.

Good for you for doing this. Good for the the teacher for introducing the kids to rocketry. Good for the kids for wanting to learn and participate. It's all about the next gen if this hobby is to make it into the future.

Woke up early to go through my field box, my rockets, and motors for today. The weather over the past 2 or 3 weeks has been rain rain rain, but the last few days have dried up enough get rid of most the puddles and mud for this morning and the forecast is clear and calm, perfect. I wasnt able to get the spitfire painted due to it being so wet, but i think a sharpie with a "sign me" sign by it will make it a little more fun for the kids anyway. All that was left for me to do was to cut down some pvc into a stake with my kands streamer attached to the top for a spot landing target. I will post pics up after the event. I am pretty excited if you cant tell to get out and do this, up at 5 am and dont have to be there till 0730.

Sorry about the late reply been busy with mother's day festivities.

The day was a success, the rains held off long enough to give us 3 hours of flying madness. I got to the school about 20 minutes before folks started showing and had just enough time to set up a table with a few of my rockets and my netbook with a slideshow i put together from thunderstruck earlier this year. Prior to any launches the teacher gave a thorough safety brief to the parents and students along with a how to prepare the rockets for flight. He also introduced me and gave a quick rundown of the fliskit spot landing competition.

I had set up the spot landing flag and soon a flightline grew in a row of launch pads the kids brought. I stayed inside around the table for a few minutes to answer questions about hpr and help the kids and parents prepare their rockets. The response to my statics was great, better than i had hoped. I expected to answer questions from the kids, but majority of them were from parents. The better part of the static is that farmers from the area who were there for their kids got really interested. These are the farmers that own and work the thousands of acres of continuous fields with no power lines or trees for miles ;).

After a few minutes of q and a, and helping pack chutes and insert igniters, the mob headed for the flightline so i followed. There were roughly 35 kids and all of them had at least 3 engines from 11 pads, you can imagine the hustle. I have to give the teacher credit taking that many kids and parents whom have never really launched and run a successful program with no injury is truly a feat. I felt almost overwhelmed as a go to guy for questions and I know i fielded less than half of them. I was glad to help as much as possible tho i know the parents appreciated it as much if not more than the children.

once the flying started and people got a feel for the spot landing comp, the fever caught on and i got busy with nonstop measurements for a solid hour or longer. The first measurement was in the 80 feet range followed soon by a 40 footer that held the lead for a good while. The kids and parents caught on quick tho and soon many were actually watching the wind, adjusting the pad, and waiting for the right time to press the button. These folks participating didnt have any lessons on how to get closer and their ideas and competitive spirit lead to very low measurements in no time at all.

Trying to keep track of the numbers was making my head spin, then i had a true epiphany. Prior to leaving the house that morning i grabbed a sharpie, becuase you just never know ya know, and i had a roll of masking tape in my back pocket for quick repairs and igniter retention, I put a strip of tape on my wrist and would write down the low numbers as they happened and would give the flyer a piece with their number so they could stick it on their shirt, GENIUS. at the end of the day the three low numbers just handed me their number tape and i knew who won. I had downloaded the competition software but it was way to fast paced for a computer.

I was also very pleasantly suprised to see how many girls were there. When i flew and was president of the rocket club 11 years ago it was almost all boys, not now. There were probably 15 of the 35 female, and many of the kids came with their mom due to their dad being in the fields. The mothers were very quick to come and ask for help loading or fixing a problem with the rockets and were very supportive of the hobby and wanting to learn how to support their child's new hobby. A girl even took first place, landing within 9 feet of the target and taking home a Fliskits Bullseye rocket kit, second place was 18 feet, he took home a triskellion and third was 21 feet, he took home an Overdrive, not bad for only having 3 or 4 lifetime flights.

Dont take me being surprised by the involvement of girls in rocketry as a sexist remark. It was just not quite what i expected but im glad it was that way rockets arent just for the boys anymore.

Overall it was the most fun ive had in rocketry, ever. Sharing my knowledge, and making the day better for children and their parents was great. I also learned many new ways of how not to build something lol :D. One of the highpoints of the day was getting to speak with a parent, who was my 5th grade english teacher, whom is a member on the county's 4h board. I mentioned to her that i would like to do a 3 or 4 saturday class culminating in a build of an egg loft competition or spot landing, so who knows what door that may have opened to expand the hobby to even more kids. I noticed that many kids need a little more hands on teaching with building and flying to take them beyond level 1 skill kits, but a few of the kids demonstrated a high aptitude for building that if supplemented by a saturday program will open more doors than they could have imagined.

The fliskits really took the cake. There is not enough that can be said about the creative minds behind those kits and how eager as a company they are to make them available for educational purposes. I know our hobby is full of great companies but jim's kits just strike a string that says "fun, intuitive, CRAZY" the brochures that i had collected from orders from fliskits were passed around followed by parents getting wide eyed saying "well id like to fly that one" and kids telling their parents which ones they want. The competition prizes really added another element over just pushing the button and running to grab the rocket, now they had a chance to win one of those awesome kits on the table!!! I cant thank Jim Flis enough for providing me with a discount to make it possible. The spitfire i built to demo got the standard "No way are you putting a motor in that thing" and provided an oppurtunity to explain how it fly's so straight expanding the knowledge and science involved with rockets.

From this small event, the sport and hobby of rocketry may have expanded beyond the school age children, i had numerous parents asking me about getting started in mpr and hpr. The local area could soon see a new nar or tra section/prefect.. Fingers crossed. You just never know what you are going to get when you volunteer your time for something like this i suggest it for everyone to try at least once, maybe you will get access to a closer spot to launch or maybe you will give kids a chance to step into the hobby either way it will make you feel good.

Last edited:
I only had time for 3 pictures, did i mention i was absolutely and fully busy the entire time? lol So here ya go

edit for captions lol got in a hurry

1st pic os my humble booth my NCR Phantom 4k, my first mpr first flew at super launch saturday 11 years ago and is still pristine, my ksr bbz, ksr tubby, pml mystic, fliskits spitfire, and mmx collection, my level 2 project is in the back that will be an upscaled maxtermind, as well as mmx- 38-480 motor display, and polished off with the fliskits prize rocket kits.

2nd is the right half of the flight line being prepped, man i should have gotten a picture of the crowd of people...

3rd is the prize winners from 1st on the left to 3rd to the right. About 5 of us with camera's so their eyes are in all different directions lol.

Can't wait for next year.

sls 001.jpg

sls 002.jpg

sls 003.jpg

Last edited:
This is so awesome! What an incredible experience for you and everyone involved!

Wow! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading your report of the event. I can tell by the tone of it that you really had a good time. This is really a good thing you did for these kids and the hobby. I am so glad that you were able to make conections that may be of benefit in the future. I hope that this is a the first of many such events for you going in to the future. Again, GOOD JOB MAN!

You did a fantastic job, but one thing that you may want to do next year, if you are willing, is to take some of the kids to a High Power launch if it available. I experienced a similar event when I was in school, but there was no followup, even though many of the kids were willing and interested. Just make sure that this is not a one off event and you will be golden!

Back