The Jericho from Iron Man

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekage

Reaction score
Plans attached. Looking for critiques - this is my first scratch build.

Finish would be either drab tan like the film or a red and gold Iron Man theme.

Photo of inspiration
Jericho-Missile-Iron-Man-570x239.jpg

View attachment TheJericho.ork

Cool, I think it should be built.. what is a .ork file? what do you use to open it.

But, if you do this, you have to mount a radar dome to your launcher.

.ork is open rocket format.

Ill only launch it while wearing a nice suit and sweet shades.
iron-man-20080425072748799.jpg

Great looking build!
I might be a bit worried about the ~20-22ft/s descent rate with the balsa fins...

Either "skin" them with something for strength or do a bigger 'chute with a spill hole?

AWESOME ROCKET.. I was thinking about one myself.

Be careful with rockets with FORWARD CANARDS. stability can be a real issue!

The reason most missiles have canards, they are borderline stable. so it take VERY little input to make them turn. this is good when you have a computer controlling that. BAD when you dont.

COntact me if you need some "STARK INDUSTRIES" decals... I'll work them up for you

iron-man-stark-industries.jpg

i looked at the file and you are 0.8 marginal for stability with that motor.

i would reccomend moving the canards rearward 10 - 20cm to get a min 1.0 margin. assuming that is the largest motor your going to fly in it.

i tend to design with the largest motor i think i will ever fly trying for a min 1.2 margin.

Just a suggestion.

i would have to look again, however i think he had nose weight, i would be cautious about adding too much. as this could limit your motor choices.

It can, but sometimes you need to make sacrifices for true scale (or use a bigger MMT) :D

Yeah, I like this one also.

Your ork file is great.

Looks like a fair amount of nose weight already.

Not sure how scale was determined, but I'd just make it a few inches longer.

Bones

jerico.jpg

jerico 2.jpg

Hey theKage

Took a look at your .ork file a little more closely.

If you're new to OpenRocket, you need to watch the defaults.

This is one fat rocket/squat rocket.

The body tube is spec'ed as 3" x 30" cardboard. This is standard Estes type body tube.

Your canards are spec'ed as cardboard with a thickness of 0.1 inches.

The fins are spec'ed as balsa with a thickness of 0.1 inches.

That's also a pretty hefty nose cone and tail cone. I'd use the ork weights as a starting point, but would definitely weigh them if you haven't already.

I was thinking of a 2" Quantum tube bird. This may be the inspiration I need to get it moving.

Bones

Plans attached. Looking for critiques - this is my first scratch build.

Finish would be either drab tan like the film or a red and gold Iron Man theme.

Photo of inspiration
Jericho-Missile-Iron-Man-570x239.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think I know where there might be a launcher that could be able to be converted from a Patriot Battery to the launcher for the Jericho!
JPC_PB9_031.jpg

So...did this project end up dying? Anyone revisit the scaling on the .ork file?

Just wondered as my daughter thinks she needs one of these...

I'm gonna take Sticker fishing-- He Knows how to hunt-- seems like the Idea did die so I'll take the run if no one will. Hello--are you out there? Counting -3-2-----

Hey hornet!

I'm fiddling with the original .ork now. Do you use OR or Rocksim?

Maybe bounce it back and forth a couple of times?

First pass...

Made BT 2.6" OD. Lengthened NC a bit. Shortened boattail and made conical. Went with 29mm motor mount. Modded fin shapes to correspond more closely with the best pic from the thread (realistic on launcher showing Stark Industries Logo).

Attached as both .ork and .rkt

Fins need some effort still....hornet, ya wanna critique and knock some more rough edges off?

Mark, get the vinyl machine fired up!

View attachment Jericho.rkt

View attachment Jericho.ork

So it seems my rat monster pc won't let me open a file--sledge hammer next--working on that-- but it sounds like we have a player. I'll work on getting this fixed---AARRG-"I'll be back", but it does sound good . We'll bounce some ideas.

oh oh oh... just caught up with this thread. I have a file of my attempt at the Jericho somewhere on this 'puter.. let me try and get it and see if it compares to what you have.

Found it... This flew on an G64-10 in a 29/40-120 case almost perfectly. Could have done with a little more weight in the nose. 2nd flight didnt do so well and the thing ended up floating into a tree never to be retrieved.

Stark Industries Jericho 2.6" Airframe

Last edited:
Found it... This flew on an G64-10 in a 29/40-120 case almost perfectly. Could have done with a little more weight in the nose. 2nd flight didnt do so well and the thing ended up floating into a tree never to be retrieved.

Stark Industries Jericho 2.6" Airframe

Finally got around to downloading :D

I definitely like your rear fins better than mine! Not sure about nosecone. Still trying to determine a scale length for it. Your model is also ~13" longer.

Finally got around to downloading :D

I definitely like your rear fins better than mine! Not sure about nosecone. Still trying to determine a scale length for it. Your model is also ~13" longer.

Oh please don't credit me for the actual build. I saw this fly and was really impressed with the scale of it, it was BIG for someone (me) who flew Estes and had just started into the FnG Aerotechs. When it went into the tree, the guy snapped one of the rear fins off getting it out. I was helping with the rescue and so begged him to let me look it over. He explained how he built it, using what parts, and I took down enough measurements to get the rocksim file done. Front end stayed in tree so I had to go in his descriptions. I do like his method of through the wall canards. Adds a little extra weight up front and lots of strength.
Since my Rocksim aint working anymore, and I use OpenRocket, I managed to import the file and check it over.
From memory I believe this is as close as I can get to the actual model that I saw fly.
Other on the field were calling it the Aerotech with Attitude until the guy pointed out what it was a model of.

Hmm... project..
Sure Stickershock could do a nice wrap so the thing would LOOK like a missile.

Last edited:
As to 'scale' for a Movie Missile... hmm.. unlike Star Trek and Star Wars where you can get the 'blueprints' and scale schematics for almost everything, its semi difficult even to get pics of the Jericho. There was one went up for sale on one of the prop websites last year, said it was made of cardboard tubing and plywood... grin..

I think the 'scale' here is 'almost' correct. To me it 'looks right', especially the size relationship between the canards and main fins. The size of the main fins in comparison to the airframe size also looks 'correct' as does the root length. From the pics i can find at the moment, the rear fins look to extend almost 1/3 of the length of the missile. Now thats gonna be a PITA, but, seems to work on this sim.

Need to make one.. need to make one..

Back