How's this supposed to work together?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayarrG7

Reaction score
I purchased the NAR blast deflector to use with my camera tripod, and have the drill chuck and the 1/8th inch rod.
The deflector comes with an adapter to work with 1/8th inch rods, but the adapter does not fit in the pre drilled hole in the middle of the deflector.
Does the adapter fit into the drill chuck and the deflector atop it?
Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure someone here knows?

100_0999.jpg

I purchased the NAR blast deflector to use with my camera tripod, and have the drill chuck and the 1/8th inch rod.
The deflector comes with an adapter to work with 1/8th inch rods, but the adapter does not fit in the pre drilled hole in the middle of the deflector.
Does the adapter fit into the drill chuck and the deflector atop it?
Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure someone here knows?

I did not know that the NAR was selling the older Estes deflector design - I was only aware of the hexagon TARC deflector with 3 holes drilled near the center.

Ols Estes instructions should be online, but I can't find this one.

You hammer the split pin/roll pin into the hole. Place the deflector on a curb with the hole just off the edge and hammer the pin in until it is halfway through.

If the hole is big enough for the 1/8" rod to go through, why would you need the adapter?

kj

If the hole is big enough for the 1/8" rod to go through, why would you need the adapter?

kj

The hole is big enough for the 3/16" rod. If using a 1/8" rod, the deflector will "flop" around and the exhaust gas/flame will hit the plastic launch pad hub and destroy it.

We're talking about a metal drill chuck here, right?

kj

The drill chuck is a black and decker, the interior parts are metal, the exterior appears to be metal with maybe a plastic coating, not sure.
Being a newbie, I am planning on using the 1/8th for my Estes Big Bertha, and will later get a 3/16th for the Madcow Momba under construction.
I assumed the adapter would fit into the hole of the deflector, but it is a bit too large. I tried crimping it down but was unsuccessful.
Seems as if this is too much trouble for a designed product!

We're talking about a metal drill chuck here, right?

kj

Only partially.

The question is "why did my NAR deflector come with two parts and how do I use them". The same question would apply to any mount, and in this case the mount is a drill chuck.

The split pin is hammered into the deflector and stays there - these two parts become one and are an inseperable deflector assembly. The deflector assembly slides over the rod. The rod is anchored to whatever launch pad you are using. in this case, it is a drill chuck.

You do not grab the split pin with the drill chuck, because then there is nothing holding the launch rod. If you launch a rocket from a non-secured rod, it may take off with the rocket and you could end up with this:
https://www.greatestmoviedeaths.com/2009/04/omen-priest-impalement.html

You do not grab the split pin with the drill chuck, because then there is nothing holding the launch rod. If you launch a rocket from a non-secured rod, it may take off with the rocket

Many years ago I heard a story about a launch rod through a windshield.

Back