Quantcast
Anyone use Duplicolor paint? Is it good


Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Anyone use Duplicolor paint? Is it good

    I have been back into rocketry for about 6 months and I have experimented a little with paints. My favorite so far is duplicolor, which I buy at Napa auto parts.

    However, I haven't seen anyone mention duplicolor in any threads. It usually seems to be Krylon or Rustoleum.

    Does anyone else use duplicolor? I don't have a ton of experience, so I was wondering if maybe there are better paints and I just don't know it yet.

  2. #2
    I use duplicolor it is great paint . Covers really well and dries fast. I am famiar with it from building plastic models. The only problem is with those little cans it may take several cans to paint a large rocket.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    1st August 2009
    Location
    The Hinterland
    Posts
    6,814
    DupliColor are great paints ! For primer ,their high solids filler primer is my goto choice ,sands great and have never had a problem with other paints going over it ,even lacquer based.Their car colors are also very nice ,plenty of nice metalics in the line and plenty of choice( note: some of these are Acrylic Lacquer ,and may/will react with other enamels).The rest of the Duplicolor line is also very good.

    RustOleum paints are also another of my favorites as is their Lacquer line as is Painters Touch.

    As far as Krylon ,some of their stuff is fine ,but please stay away from their so call "primers" as they are pure crap ! As is their gloss white.....1 part pigment ....1,000,000 parts carrier.

    Testor` small rattle cans are also good for small areas or if FS or specific car colors are needed ,but very expensive.

    Plenty of talk about Valspar paint ,supposed to be very good according to many here on the forums.I have not yet tried it ,but would like to .

    Like anything else ,there could be many opinions on this subject ,but I`m sure many will agree about DupliColor being a top notch paint.

    HTH...and of course ,only my opinion and the the end all be all on the subject.

    Paul T
    Last edited by sodmeister; 3rd April 2011 at 06:46 PM.
    ROCKETRY DELINQUENT ,I put my soul in what I do.

    I built a rocket, and on the seventh day ,I rested

    CTI.....a better way to fly

  4. #4
    Thats all I use for rattle can spray paint. Easy to use dries fast and the high build primer fills spirals. You can prime and paint your rocket in one day easy. The down side is expense and color selection.

    I think most of the folks here buy what is at the hardware store and is inexpensive. But, when I read about the troubles that some people have with the other types of paints, finish schedules that last for days, even weeks I think I will stick with duplicolor.

  5. #5

    Thanks

    Thanks guys. I am glad I am not alone in liking duplicolor.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    2nd March 2010
    Location
    N.Haverhill,NH
    Posts
    6,293

    YUP

    I like it too. I use the primers mostly,(only cuz I got a boat load of Kry) But I did trust it in painting my Saturn V. I just pick up a can this weekend and did my Bulldog clone in Ford,Deep Jewel Green Metalic.
    NAR 90998
    SAM 0322
    Give Blood!
    I'll let the experts answer that one.
    Somedays its hard to stay centered on being eccentric.
    I like Fat-Bottomed Rockets
    Temple of the Dog

  7. #7
    Join Date
    20th February 2009
    Location
    Cayuga, Indiana
    Posts
    8,031
    Duplicolor?!? No question--the best paint available--loved it when re-working my son's Suzuki street bike.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    12th October 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    284
    I have had trouble with the "Metallics" line of paints designed to go over metal. It crazed like mad.
    "go for throttle up"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    28th October 2009
    Location
    Aspen, CO - Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    781
    I really like the Duplicolor. I got it from NAPA as well. Here is a picture of the Nike I just built. The white primer and body went on fine, but I was most impressed with the paint on the fins. It had great coverage, and the fins turned out really smooth and glossy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0051.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	45360  
    Chris Dreher
    NAR #89512 L3
    Tripoli #14541 L3

  10. #10
    Join Date
    11th December 2010
    Location
    Between the topsoil and the sun. A surface dweller.
    Posts
    2,393
    I am sick of rattle cans... the cost is getting stupid... i am thinking about ordering a bunch of the laquor enamel quarts from JEGGS...
    looks like a more reasonable cost.

    "Dad, I am going to put a big motor in this skinny rocket... its going to disapear like a ghost!!!.....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    24th January 2009
    Location
    Glennville, GA
    Posts
    14,011

    cost

    The cost can be high, but so are the air brush systems. You could just fly them naked.
    -----------------------
    Chuck Haislip
    NAR/Tripoli Level 3 Prefect ICBM - TRA #60

    Level 1 - LOC Minie Magg; Level 2 - PR Broken Arrow;
    Level 3 - 10 inch Nike Smoke
    Ns for Year: 2250 but back in the USA. Builds starting today!!!!
    My rockets usually fly naked. If they survive, they earn their paint.

    Come fly with ROSCO or ICBM in Orangeburg SC => http://rocketrysouthcarolina.com/ind...erid=$1-ChuckH

  12. #12
    Join Date
    11th December 2010
    Location
    Between the topsoil and the sun. A surface dweller.
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbullet View Post
    The cost can be high, but so are the air brush systems. You could just fly them naked.
    Laquor enamel is actually pretty easy to paint, and Harbor Freight, is your friend.

    i have a detail gun i paid about 10.00 for that does a great job.
    Sometimes i substitute MEK for the actual laquor thinner, if my gun gets a little dirty, i call it clean up painting....

    you can also get bulk Acrylic enamel really cheap. especialy the primary colors.

    My airbrush(just connected to my aircompressor) I paid 14.00 for.

    "Dad, I am going to put a big motor in this skinny rocket... its going to disapear like a ghost!!!.....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    20th January 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA
    Posts
    265
    There is no such thing as "lacquer enamel". There is lacquer, and there is enamel. Old lacquer was nitrocellulose based, new is acrylic. Old enamel was alkyd, new is acrylic. So, nowadays, you see acrylic lacquer (getting rare, but available ala Duplicolor) and acrylic enamel plus the urethane based paints.
    "One test result is worth one thousand expert opinions."
    -Wernher von Braun
    "If you have no intention of listening to, considering, and perhaps using, someone’s opinion, don’t ask for it."
    -W. J. King in The Unwritten Laws of Business

  14. #14
    Join Date
    29th October 2009
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by sodmeister View Post
    DupliColor are great paints ! For primer ,their high solids filler primer is my goto choice ,sands great and have never had a problem with other paints going over it ,even lacquer based.Their car colors are also very nice ,plenty of nice metalics in the line and plenty of choice( note: some of these are Acrylic Lacquer ,and may/will react with other enamels).The rest of the Duplicolor line is also very good.

    RustOleum paints are also another of my favorites as is their Lacquer line as is Painters Touch.

    As far as Krylon ,some of their stuff is fine ,but please stay away from their so call "primers" as they are pure crap ! As is their gloss white.....1 part pigment ....1,000,000 parts carrier.

    Testor` small rattle cans are also good for small areas or if FS or specific car colors are needed ,but very expensive.

    Plenty of talk about Valspar paint ,supposed to be very good according to many here on the forums.I have not yet tried it ,but would like to .

    Like anything else ,there could be many opinions on this subject ,but I`m sure many will agree about DupliColor being a top notch paint.

    HTH...and of course ,only my opinion and the the end all be all on the subject.

    Paul T
    I used Valspar to paint my Semroc Iris(Semroc 24mm Iris build in Midpowered, pictures) and the paint came out really nice.I faded Red,Green and Blue.I also used RustOleum on others.Like that one also.cjp.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    1st August 2009
    Location
    The Hinterland
    Posts
    6,814
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    I used Valspar to paint my Semroc Iris(Semroc 24mm Iris build in Midpowered, pictures) and the paint came out really nice.I faded Red,Green and Blue.I also used RustOleum on others.Like that one also.cjp.
    Indeed ,I lke RustOleum also ,very nice paint !

    I also like their (RustOleum) Lacquer paint ,although it only comes in RED ,White and Black......but I suppose those colours are very often used ,so not a big problem.

    Nice IRIS by the way ...and not your basic RED,WHITE and BLACK


    Paul T
    ROCKETRY DELINQUENT ,I put my soul in what I do.

    I built a rocket, and on the seventh day ,I rested

    CTI.....a better way to fly

  16. #16
    Join Date
    28th January 2009
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by ClayD View Post
    I am sick of rattle cans... the cost is getting stupid... i am thinking about ordering a bunch of the laquor enamel quarts from JEGGS...
    looks like a more reasonable cost.
    Duplicolor has their "Paint Shop" line in qt. cans. About $20 a can. It's a full system; Primer, Color (which can be used as a stand alone) available in opaques and metalics, Three clear coats (Clear, metalic clear, prisma clear), and three true candies. All one part, just pour and shoot. Color pallett isn't huge yet but is broad enough to mix anything you might want. THE most user friendly paint I've ever used (and I shoot paint for a living). I havn't tried the candies yet or the primer (I have some DuPont epoxy based I'm finishing up) but what I have used I love. Can't beat the price. http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/ FWIW
    Troy
    MDRA 47
    NAR 90055
    L2

  17. #17
    Join Date
    29th October 2009
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by sodmeister View Post
    Indeed ,I lke RustOleum also ,very nice paint !

    I also like their (RustOleum) Lacquer paint ,although it only comes in RED ,White and Black......but I suppose those colours are very often used ,so not a big problem.

    Nice IRIS by the way ...and not your basic RED,WHITE and BLACK


    Paul T
    Thanks,I wanted it to be different.dfos,some forum members such as sodmeister really have down pat when it comes to painting.My next step is getting a airbrush and small compressor to paint larger Midpowered and Highpowered rockets.Harbor Freight is supposed to have good prices on these.I'll have to check their prices as well as some other stores around here.Welcome back to the Hobby by the way.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    1st August 2009
    Location
    The Hinterland
    Posts
    6,814
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    Thanks,I wanted it to be different.dfos,some forum members such as sodmeister really have down pat when it comes to painting.My next step is getting a airbrush and small compressor to paint larger Midpowered and Highpowered rockets.Harbor Freight is supposed to have good prices on these.I'll have to check their prices as well as some other stores around here.Welcome back to the Hobby by the way.
    I have several airbrushes (Badgers)although I really only use them for detail work and small areas (bought them for my other hobby ,scale aircraft modeling)
    An airbrush might be a little small for large rochets ,but they are great tools ,and once you get your PSI and paint thinning all squred away ,it really isn`t that hard to master.....well practice of course.

    Take care

    Paul T
    ROCKETRY DELINQUENT ,I put my soul in what I do.

    I built a rocket, and on the seventh day ,I rested

    CTI.....a better way to fly

  19. #19
    I agree ...Duplicolor is all I use. Their primers are great and the paint sprays a nice even mist. I agree that they do have a limited selection of paints, but if I want a specific color I'll buy a a can of Testor's, but mostly just for a accent color...not the whole rocket..

  20. #20
    Join Date
    26th January 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,841
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbullet View Post
    The cost can be high, but so are the air brush systems. You could just fly them naked.
    If you fly them naked, make sure you don't get any sparks in your crotch.
    NAR 91107, Level 2

    It's a good day to use power tools.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Location
    hurricane utah
    Posts
    3,197
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbullet View Post
    The cost can be high, but so are the air brush systems. You could just fly them naked.

    Oh the humanities.....
    Custom Vinyl decals,
    STICKERSHOCK23.COM


    Stickershock23@gmail.com

    No matter how much you push the envelope.
    it'll still be stationery.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    13th February 2009
    Location
    Crossville, TN
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by qquake2k View Post

    If you fly them naked, make sure you don't get any sparks in your crotch.
    The process is continuous...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    31st May 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,327
    Dumb question here .

    Trying to wean off the rattle cans and have been looking for a base system like the DupliColor PaintShop Finish System to run through my Harbor Freight LPHV Gun or new HF Airbrush . Local body shop supply said he had a newb solution with the same timing : paint , mask shoot 2nd color hour later and must clear within 24. His was another brand featuring 'Flame Red' instead of 'Performance Red ' His also seemed more expensive, pints not quarts and not pre-thinned . Red added 50% more to the cost also .

    Two questions actually, decals go on after clear ? Re-clear after decals applied ? So many online here say to Finish the decals with ' Pledge Finish' , seems redundant after clear coat .

    Also how does the timing work with an IRIS ? White Black Red Silver (and found a pic online with more silver near rear of rocket too) Seems paint system is geared for one, two colors before clear - or am I missing something ?
    Last edited by KenRico; 5th August 2011 at 05:08 AM.
    Fiesta Area Rocket Team - San Diego, CA

    TRA# 01113 L2, NAR # 38484 -DART, NAR Section #317
    GHS 2011 PB-X ROCstock XXXV GHS 2012 PB XI ROCstock XXXVII PBXII SPRINGFEST 2014 ROCstock XXXIX --> LASTER Blaster

  24. #24
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Location
    Back up in the woods
    Posts
    7,644
    The acrylic floor finish product is used as the clear coat. There is no other type of clear coating used with it. Its primary purpose in this instance is to protect decals. Obviously if you have a more professional setup and can apply automotive clear coating, then you won't need the floor finish product too. The product is kind of a poor man's clear coat and it is more paint- and decal-friendly and it displays better adhesion than rattle can clear coats, plus it doesn't yellow with age. I would say that most users of it don't have access to an airbrush. It is typically applied with a foam brush or some other type of applicator.
    Mark S. Kulka NAR 86134 L1, ASTRE 471, Adirondack Mtns., NY
    Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
    In the forest no one can hear you order a grande caffè misto.
    Warning: I brake for invisible squirrels

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •