April Best Rocket Competition LPR - FrankenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Please go visit our sponsor this month, Pemberton Technologies, I am sure you will find something there that you want to get! Now, on to the contest, and remember this is the LPR contest..

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!).
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
5b. If proof of a successful flight is documented and the rocket suffers a loss in a subsequent flight, it is still eligible for consideration and will be judged in the 'prior to loss' state.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme
Theme for this month is 'FrankenRocket', let's see those repaired/rebuilt rockets after their 'mishaps'! Before and after pictures would be great!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Prize this month from our awesome sponsor Pemberton Technologies is whatever Layne wants to give out! It's his birfday month and he wants to give out the presents! I am sure it will be awesome!

So, let's get those entries in!

Kinda like ,Born Again Rockets, Crash -N-reBurn,Bandaid Ballistics,Refired Rockets..........;)

Wow, with this theme I feel I have to enter.

It started as an Estes TransWing that my daughter really, really wanted. I built it as per the instructions other than the paint scheme. I had just read some posts about folks doing spiral paint along the spirals of the body tubes, so I decided to play with that idea on the booster. In this form, my daughter named it the Bumble Bee. The first picture is of the glider portion after trimming. Then a shot of the glider and booster together in their launch position.

The first flight was a (purposefully) low flight behind the house, and looked like it would have been good. Except that at apogee when the glider separated, it flew straight into a sheet of wadding that got hung up on its wing. A spinning dive to the ground and hard landing, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

The second flight was at a club launch, and the launch control wire got hung up on the tail of the glider at launch. It went up, went horizontal, and hit the ground hard. The booster was in good shape, the glider was in pieces (3rd pic).

It sat in the garage in those pieces for a while, then one day I decided to salvage those pieces and simply started cutting and gluing parts onto the back end of the booster. I have thought about painting the former glider pieces to better match the body, but I kind of like having the reminder of what it once was. It was no longer a boost glider, but became a rocket with a big fin array (4th and 5th pic) that I have called FrankenWing.

It has flown twice, the video is of it's second flight at a club launch. Some of the folks there kept waiting for the "glider" to separate. It flies low and slow and is definitely prone to weathercocking (which can be seen in this video), but it flies and flies stable.

[YOUTUBE]75o5wLmmPHQ[/YOUTUBE]

IMG00303.jpg

IMG00305.jpg

IMG00325.jpg

2010-11-16_06-55-38_930.jpg

2010-11-16_06-55-54_549.jpg

I have a lot of candidates for this category but it's only fitting that since Pem Tech is the price sponsor that I submit my Space Arc Jr.
Back in 2008 it landed in the street and was hit by a car! The damage wasn't as bad as it could have been but still bad enough.

Here's the original thread with more detail.

The before pic.
Space Ark Jr.jpg
The damage. You can't really see how bad the nose cone was damaged it the pictures.
SAJ damage 1.jpgSAJ damage 2.jpg
The after shot.
Space Ark Jr. ar1.jpg
And it's first post repair launch.
Space Arc Jr 2lo.jpg

Okay time to enter a contest!

I will be entering my Trois Duex rocket..To refresh your memory, or for a first introduction, the first repair/build thread is here..

Anyway, a while ago I flew it again..Very nice and high up part..The recover was, well , a little problematic:rolleyes: The ejection charges went off, but only the nose cone came off and she augered into the ground pretty hard..

Here is the crash flight
[YOUTUBE]h3gQvIT9r9M[/YOUTUBE]

The upper tube got crunched up as seen in picture 1, the nose cone got pretty beat up as well and needed some pretty extensive filling, which I did using some bondo spot putty..
Picture 2 shows how I connected the kevlar cord to the coupler
Picture 3 shows the freshly painted upper section.
Pictures 4 and 5 show the complete rocket with the new top section..

Has flown once since the repair successfully..:)

DSCF4103.jpg

DSCF4106.jpg

DSCF4108.jpg

DSCF4110.jpg

DSCF4111.jpg

This month y'all get a little more time to get your entries in! Just like the IRS I have extended the deadline to midnight EDT on the 24th! So, if you need to get that last minute flight in for your entry, you got the time! :)

Hopefully mother nature cooperates and allows the flight!

I finally have a rocket that meets the contest criteria!

This is my Franken Goblin, a slight BT-60 upscale of the Estes Goblin Kit #K-55.

This model does apply as a "Frankenstine" it's built entirely of pieces and parts from broken or unrepairable rockets.
Even the balsa finstock was pieced together from scraps and strips.

The decals were drawn up and printed at home. Look close at the Goblin and you can see stitches on the arms and tail and a bolt in the neck.
Instead of the "3"s on the fin, I made "6"s. You know, "666" being a sign of the devil. This rocket has two sixes, only partially evil.

The only expense was a can of Key Lime Green Rustoleum spray paint.

It's gotten a little banged up over the past two years of flights. The dents and dings add to the character.
A 12" black trash bag parachute rounds out the recycled theme.

franken_goblin03.jpg

Franken_goblin04_WEB.jpg

franken_goblin01.jpg

Last edited:
Back