Centuri - Sky Devil (KB-10 or #5040) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maricopasem

Reaction score
Here are my two versions of the Centuri Sky Devil. The original Sky Devil came with a number of different fin patterns so you could choose which ones you wanted.

The first of mine is a BT-55 upscale with a 24mm MMT and the second is a goonified version made from a 2" mailing tube and plastic Easter egg. It also has a 24mm MMT.

Sky_Devil_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Centuri - Sky Devil (KB-10 or #5040) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Sky Devil (KB-10 or #5040) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Sky Devil: KB-10 or #5040

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Sky Devil (KB-10 or #5040) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Sky Devil

KB-10 or #5040

Introduced: 1973
Final Year: 1983
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer or Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 12" to 14"
Diameter: 0.78"
Span:
Weight: 0.8 oz

Mfg. Description: A basic rocket with a twist...the balsa fin shapes can be cut from any one of eight different patterns! Includes Spec-Plate, molded cone and parachute. (Centuri 1973 Catalog)

centuri-sky%20devil-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1973 Catalog
centuri-sky%20devil-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1979 Catalog
centuri-sky%20devil-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1980 Catalog

centuri-sky%20devil-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1982 Catalog

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
This rocket dates back to somewhere around 1977-1978. It was a 4-H project, and it went to the Missouri State Fair (and got a white ribbon, which obviously isn't saying much). It came back with one fin broken at the narrowest point.

When I dug it out, I knew I had to refurbish it. I sanded and papered all the fins, which helped to reinforce the one I had to glue back together. After a thorough priming and sanding, I painted the sustainer blue and red, and the fins and nose cone white; then I cut little stars from blue painter's tape and applied them to the rocket. I painted over them, making the sustainer white, the fins blue, and the nose cone red; removing all the little stars gives the patriotic results you see here. A topcoat of Future and the deed was done. The picture here also shows the vintage Centuri parachute, which just needed the tape discs replaced to make it serviceable.

I've launched it three times since refurbing it, once on an A3-4T with an "adapter" (an expended 18mm casing) and twice with A8-5 engines. It's getting pretty beat-up looking, so it's officially retired.

attachment.php

attachment.php

skydevil.jpg

centuri-skydevil.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheap and dirty clone.

Attachments

• Centuri Sky Devil on pad.JPG
    Centuri Sky Devil on pad.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 19
Back