Clear topcoat vs Future

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bone Daddy

Reaction score
My latest Wizard has water slide decals.

The paint is 2x Rustoleum gray and orange and Krylon gloss pink.

Which would be easier to apply, rattle can topcoat or Future?

Any tips for applying either successfully?

Bones

Wiz Cat 3-19-11 no top copy.jpg

I really like Testor's or Model masters "top Coat" clear.... Its very user friendy and will protect your paint from chips and scratches. future, which I believe is now sold as Pledge? I think its only a polish and not a enamel top coat.

I get the feeling we are going to start seeing alot of unique Wizards around here.

Nice scheme by the way.

Thanks Captain Ron.

JPVegh:

I hope so. Wizards rule. Next up is a Wizard super roc.

I can't wait to get my hands on those A boosters.

Marc_G:

Looking forward to seeing them in the gallery.

I went back and bought two more cases giving a grand total of 48 Wizards.

The big irony is that I get my L1 cert, have plans and parts purchased to build two high power birds and I end up building Wizards and Wizard variants.

Bones

I've used it and found it to be a cheap and easy decal and finish protector. I apply it with paper towel, foam brush, or chip brush as the mood strikes me. It's a fast flowing liquid and somewhat self-leveling. Others have shot it through airbrushes, which I believe is the plastic model method. A search will yield many, many threads on this product. The new packaging says Pledge but it's still "tough acrylic protection".

future 1.jpg

future.jpg

Last edited:
I use Future applied via foam brush or airbrush for bigger jobs. Although I'm sure there are better clear coats out there, Future is my choice due to ease of repair, i.e., remove with ammonia/water combo to provide access to paint layer.

I use Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss - sold in any Home Depot or Lowes. It's a spray can that's easy as paint! Very good protection and seals in all decals well. I put 3 light coats on for that shiny look! :cool: Very good stuff.

Hux

Thanks everyone.

I'll be trying all of your suggestions in the near future.

This time It'll be Future since I've read so much about it.

Question:

Do you you just brush it until you have an even coat?

Do you have to worry about runs?

Air bubbles?

Bones

Bone Daddy said:
Thanks everyone.

I'll be trying all of your suggestions in the near future.

This time It'll be Future since I've read so much about it.

Question:

Do you you just brush it until you have an even coat?

Do you have to worry about runs?

Air bubbles?

Bones

My experience is that it bubbles a lot but they pop and level on their own so I don't sweat it. I brush on or use a cheap misting sprayer. Use a paper towel to blot any runs or drips. Let dry.

Love the smell of the stuff! :huff:

I read so much about "Future" floor polish or protector, and Im always eager to try something new, but I'm still oldschool inside....

My only concern about Future is, does it protect the paint from chips and scratches from multiple landings on grass, dry sticks etc?

I always used a clear enamel top coat since the early 80's on my rockets and the finish lasts years..

"Pledge with Future Shine" aka Future is very different from the regular Pledge wood polish and cleaner. It's actually a hard acrylic finish that protects the surface. I started using it a few builds ago, and I really like it. It's much more forgiving than spray clears, easily removeable, and pretty cheap. It also smells rather pleasant. I used a foam bruch at first, but had some air bubble issues... I've since started using a cotton rag or microfiber cloth and just wiping it on in slightly thinner layers. Works like a charm.

As a side note, you cannot apply Future (or probably anything else) on top of Nu-Finish, which is another popular polish/protectant. It'll just bead up.

I guess I will have to give the Future a try. It also sounds like a winner.

Bone.... Some rattle can clears will attack your decals, so be weary of that and use several very light mist coats if you go that route. Future, on the other hand, seems to be very decal-friendly.

Slog... Good point. But you can put Nu-Finish over Future for a super sleek finish.

Back