LOC - LOC-IV (PK-48) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadrog

Reaction score
It's surprising to me that this workhorse did not yet have it's own gallery. I'll start this one off. This Loc IV is the most recent build from the "It came to me in a dream" series. I threw it together one day to pass some time with no real goal in mind. That night, while fast asleep, it came to me. It was built stock, with the exception of shock cord/shock cord mount. I know I've seen a few build threads for the IV on TRF, let's see 'em!

lifesaveriz.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I love your Lifesavers finish!!!

Here is another LOC IV. I cut the body tube in half, screwed the nose cone into the top half and added a baffle in the bottom half....

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks FB. Most of the credit should be aimed at Mark Hayes, he made the graphics. I just dreamt them up and slapped them on. Are your flames painted? They look great!

Mark made some stickers for me for a 5.5" FatBoy that is about ready for paint. He does great work! Yes, I did paint those flames on there. I wasn't too happy with how they turned out so I will be redoing them soon, but thanks!

I was originally going to use my LOC-IV for my Level 1 cert flight, but ended up using my Minie Magg instead. I added a payload section to the LOC-IV, so I can fly it in a standard or stretched version. So far I've only flown it on a few 38mm G's. The nuclear emblem was my son's idea.

LOC-IV_joe.jpg

LOC-IV_me.JPG

LOC-IV.jpg

LOC-IV_stretch.jpg

Here are some flight photos. CTI G69 Skidmark and G79 Smoky Sam.

LOC-IV_skidmark1.jpg

LOC-IV_skidmark2.jpg

LOC-IV_smoky1.jpg

LOC-IV_smoky2.jpg

LOC-IV_landing.jpg

Love your color scheme, great pics!

Thanks for the compliments! Wish I could take credit. The color scheme was my son's idea, and my nephew took the photos (although I did teach him everything he knows! LOL).

It's surprising to me that this workhorse did not yet have it's own gallery. I'll start this one off. This Loc IV is the most recent build from the "It came to me in a dream" series. I threw it together one day to pass some time with no real goal in mind. That night, while fast asleep, it came to me. It was built stock, with the exception of shock cord/shock cord mount. I know I've seen a few build threads for the IV on TRF, let's see 'em!

I love the Lifesavers motif!

I love your Lifesavers finish!!!

Here is another LOC IV. I cut the body tube in half, screwed the nose cone into the top half and added a baffle in the bottom half....

Hey, great idea for a zipperless LOC-IV!

Ok, I'll bite. Here is my LOC IV out for its maiden flight yesterday on a 38/120 motor with a G61W-M load. Repacked the chute, stuck in a G67R-M Redline motor and flew it again right after that.

I had built this rocket earlier in the year as the backup for my Level 1 certification flight which I did with a Mad Cow Phoenix. I put a few upgrades on it like rail buttons and an AeroPak motor retainer.

I'll be flying this one often in the future - its a great flyer!! My Phoenix is too heavy for "G" impulse engines, but the LOC IV hits 800+ ft easy and is perfect for my local fields.

My wife picked out the purple color, btw.

LOC4.jpg

Ok, I'll bite. Here is my LOC IV out for its maiden flight yesterday on a 38/120 motor with a G61W-M load. Repacked the chute, stuck in a G67R-M Redline motor and flew it again right after that.

I had built this rocket earlier in the year as the backup for my Level 1 certification flight which I did with a Mad Cow Phoenix. I put a few upgrades on it like rail buttons and an AeroPak motor retainer.

I'll be flying this one often in the future - its a great flyer!! My Phoenix is too heavy for "G" impulse engines, but the LOC IV hits 800+ ft easy and is perfect for my local fields.

My wife picked out the purple color, btw.

If you really want some fun, fly your LOC-IV on a G69 CTI Skidmark!

IMGP8748crop.jpg

IMGP8749edit.jpg

If you really want some fun, fly your LOC-IV on a G69 CTI Skidmark!

I think I'll do that! Great paint scheme on your LOC IV...... And I'm jealous of the flat wide open fields I see in those pictures. Florida is covered in swamp, scrub, and tall trees. Not very rocket friendly. That's why I'm always nervous to send 'em up too high.......

I think I'll do that! Great paint scheme on your LOC IV...... And I'm jealous of the flat wide open fields I see in those pictures. Florida is covered in swamp, scrub, and tall trees. Not very rocket friendly. That's why I'm always nervous to send 'em up too high.......

The nuclear emblem was my son's idea. We did it with masking tape. That launchsite is actually a cattle ranch called Snow Ranch. Lots of rolling hills, a creek, and a couple of trees. But it's a great place to fly rockets!

LOC-IV_joe.jpg

nuclear_stencil5.jpg

nuclear_stencil16.jpg

DSCN2157.JPG

tree_creek.jpg

Found another picture I took the day before my Level 1 cert flight in March. Luckily I nailed the cert on the first launch with the Phoenix. I was going to launch the LOC IV after that, but the wind picked up in the afternoon and I didn't want to risk a long hike in the boonies looking for it.

qquake2k - I did order a "Dark Matter" load for my 38/360 AT case. It should arrive in time for my trip up to Bunnell for my Level 2 cert attempt on June 9th. That should give my Phoenix a good kick!!! I'll keep an eye out and see if the on site vendor has any G69 skids. I"ll bring my CTI cases and spacers - haven't tried a CTI motor yet, but I'm itching to try.

LOC4 (2).JPG

Found another picture I took the day before my Level 1 cert flight in March. Luckily I nailed the cert on the first launch with the Phoenix. I was going to launch the LOC IV after that, but the wind picked up in the afternoon and I didn't want to risk a long hike in the boonies looking for it.

qquake2k - I did order a "Dark Matter" load for my 38/360 AT case. It should arrive in time for my trip up to Bunnell for my Level 2 cert attempt on June 9th. That should give my Phoenix a good kick!!! I'll keep an eye out and see if the on site vendor has any G69 skids. I"ll bring my CTI cases and spacers - haven't tried a CTI motor yet, but I'm itching to try.

I haven't seen a Dark Matter launch yet, but I love the Skidmark. It's very loud!

I got my Heavy Duty Beauty finished. I wanted to try a sticker from Mark at Stickershock and I was more than pleased. Awesome dude to work with! Here she is...

DSC0005-L.jpg

Welcome to the LOC LOC-IV (PK-48) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the LOC LOC-IV (PK-48) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

LOC: LOC-IV: PK-48

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
LOC LOC-IV (PK-48) Basic Information.

loc.gif
LOC/Precision

MODEL NAME: LOC-IV Also known as:

NUMBER: PK-48

Introduced: 1985
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x38mm (Originally 1x29mm)
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 47.5"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 29 oz

Mfg. Description: One of the ADVANCED SERIES of kits, which include factory pre-slotted airframe and through-the-wall fin construction, the LOC IV has been the best selling kit in our history (perhaps all of high power history as well) Recently upgraded to 38mm motor mount and to-the-motor mount construction, this kit is the perfect Level 1 kit . You can even park fly it well on F and G motors with the optional MMA-2 motor adapter. Parachute Recovery.

All LOC/PRECISION "PK-XX" kits include heavy duty airframe and motor mount tubes, high-grade precision-cut plywood fins, centering rings, rip-stop nylon parachute or streamer, nylon elastic shock cord and mount, launch lug, polypropolene nose cones and instructions. (LOC 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

loc-loc%20iv%20pk48-2010%20cat.jpg
2010 Catalog
loc-loc%20iv%20pk48-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

loc-loc%20iv%20pk48-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
J P Morgan
Aero Antics

TRF Applicable Threads
LOC-IV - Cloning an old friend

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
My wife's purple LOC IV crashed and died a few months ago. I bought her a replacement - I had also ordered some blue tube for a custom upscale project I was working on. I ended up with enough blue tube left over to make a 2 inch shorter LOC IV clone. Here are some pics of the LOC IV (red bird on left) and the LOC IV clone (blue bird on right). I reused the nosecone from the crashed LOC IV for the clone.

Mark from StickerShock did the vinyl and Mike Fischer from Binder Design custom cut the fins for me.

Both birds are both heavily built - didn't want a repeat of the one that broke. The stock LOC IV fins are very thin. The blue rocket even has fiberglass on the motor mount fin roots and both have tip to tip fiberglass on the fins as well as 2x wraps of 3oz fiberglass on the main body. What spirals?? :cool: I don't see no spirals!!!!

bird.jpg

image-2915608742.jpg

Attachments

• LOC1.jpg
    LOC1.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 89
  • LOCRED.jpg
    LOCRED.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 87
  • LOCBLUE.jpg
    LOCBLUE.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Here is a couple photos of our dearly departed Loc IV. She was a good bird and will be missed.

201_0002.jpg 201_0003.jpg

My LOC IV along with a shot of it next to my LOC Magnum

2012-07-12 20.25.07.jpg2012-09-01 18.18.50.jpg

Sorry about your loss. That was a great paint job.

Thank you for your kind words. I know you'd appreciate it if I told you that it was a 200 foot paint job. The rocket met its demise when my son got grease on the delay grain, preventing it from burning. Came in ballistic. Trash-bag/shovel recovery.

Thank you for your kind words. I know you'd appreciate it if I told you that it was a 200 foot paint job. The rocket met its demise when my son got grease on the delay grain, preventing it from burning. Came in ballistic. Trash-bag/shovel recovery.

Looked more like a 20 foot paint job to me! Man that sucks about what happened.

Looked more like a 20 foot paint job to me! Man that sucks about what happened.
Just a reason to build another. Think we'll scratch build one. We have most everything we need except the nose cone. But we're not above stealing one from another idle rocket.

Here's a couple of photos of my LOC IV I built this year (2013).
I added a tail cone to it using "Open Rocket" software and it's printable templates.
LOC IV porch pic 1.jpg LOC IV finished.jpg

JP

Back